Raising Children And Education

vpashkov
Posted
Posted

Hello Everyone.Unfortunately I didn't find an answer for my situation. I am planning on moving to Cebu with my family this year. My daughter is 12 and she has been on home schooling here in China for last 2 years. However High school is coming and we wanted to put her in good school. International schools are too expensive. My budget is around 7K US a year. Is there anything available in Cebu that recognized outside f Philippines? That fits my budget? Thank you for your advises.

peterpan
Posted
Posted

Im interessted in this topic too. Are in Dumaguete good schools and do they have affordable prices?

• 1 month later...
wolf larsen
Posted
Posted
http://newsinfo.inqu...ter-Aquino-term The link above is a proposal to increase the total school years from 10 to 12 years. The reason behind that is to decrease the study load being crammed within 10 years and also to enhance the last two extra years into skills related education. Thereby, increasing the chances of getting a good job and also elevate the average skill and knowledge level of graduating HS students to the rest of the world. The downside has always been the lack of budget to build more class rooms and hire more teachers. Like everything else, the budget can be balanced if graft and corruption was kept in check. Oh well, this proposal will not happen within our lifetime. Respectfully -- Jake
I hope they tag on two extra years of schooling. That was a big point of confusion for me until a month ago. My wife's story of when she went to college and how old she was when she got knocked up by her ex and so forth never made complete sense to me. The timing didn't seem to line up, so I was constantly asking her more questions to try and clarify it. Then I'd give up and just pretend to understand, wondering if I was getting the whole story. A month ago, discussing my step-daughter and high school, I was finally told they graduate at grade 10 and go to college from there. Maybe she assumed I knew that already. Now, her story of her own life made perfect sense, timing wise. Anyways, only having schooling until grade 10 and then expecting them to excel in university is tough. They need more time to grow up and mature. Do you guys know if the international schools have 12 grades? A 16 year old Filipino would have a tough time getting into a western university, I imagine. They'd probably have to go west, and study in a western high school the last few years, and then go to uni.
Hmm, I think one of the only positive things about the school system in the Philippines is that they graduate at grade 10. It's widely known in the US that the last 2 years of high school are a complete waste for 95% of students. Furthermore it leads to the crisis were educated women often don't have enough time to manage both a career and have kids which will be disastrous for the future.

ekimswish
Posted
Posted
http://newsinfo.inqu...ter-Aquino-term The link above is a proposal to increase the total school years from 10 to 12 years. The reason behind that is to decrease the study load being crammed within 10 years and also to enhance the last two extra years into skills related education. Thereby, increasing the chances of getting a good job and also elevate the average skill and knowledge level of graduating HS students to the rest of the world. The downside has always been the lack of budget to build more class rooms and hire more teachers. Like everything else, the budget can be balanced if graft and corruption was kept in check. Oh well, this proposal will not happen within our lifetime. Respectfully -- Jake
I hope they tag on two extra years of schooling. That was a big point of confusion for me until a month ago. My wife's story of when she went to college and how old she was when she got knocked up by her ex and so forth never made complete sense to me. The timing didn't seem to line up, so I was constantly asking her more questions to try and clarify it. Then I'd give up and just pretend to understand, wondering if I was getting the whole story. A month ago, discussing my step-daughter and high school, I was finally told they graduate at grade 10 and go to college from there. Maybe she assumed I knew that already. Now, her story of her own life made perfect sense, timing wise. Anyways, only having schooling until grade 10 and then expecting them to excel in university is tough. They need more time to grow up and mature. Do you guys know if the international schools have 12 grades? A 16 year old Filipino would have a tough time getting into a western university, I imagine. They'd probably have to go west, and study in a western high school the last few years, and then go to uni.
Hmm, I think one of the only positive things about the school system in the Philippines is that they graduate at grade 10. It's widely known in the US that the last 2 years of high school are a complete waste for 95% of students. Furthermore it leads to the crisis were educated women often don't have enough time to manage both a career and have kids which will be disastrous for the future.
It's not just the last two years of school for Americans, but virtually every nationality on earth, so if it is a waste of time, it's one shared and accepted by everyone on earth, except for the Philippines and a few places no one's ever heard of. In a utopian society, a lot of things would be different, but if you can't beat 'em, maybe joining the rest of the world would make sense. It's not like they're doing ten years of schooling for some better ideal. They just got stuck with it a long, long, time ago, and never cared to change it.
  • Like 1

wolf larsen
Posted
Posted
It's not just the last two years of school for Americans, but virtually every nationality on earth, so if it is a waste of time, it's one shared and accepted by everyone on earth, except for the Philippines and a few places no one's ever heard of. In a utopian society, a lot of things would be different, but if you can't beat 'em, maybe joining the rest of the world would make sense. It's not like they're doing ten years of schooling for some better ideal. They just got stuck with it a long, long, time ago, and never cared to change it.
There's been a lot of talk in the US about getting rid of the last 2 years of high school. It's a complete waste of time for 99% of students, puts educated women in a quandary, and is extremely costly. The only reason they don't do it is because they got stuck with it a long, long time ago and there are vested interests in keeping it that way.

ekimswish
Posted
Posted
There's been a lot of talk in the US about getting rid of the last 2 years of high school. It's a complete waste of time for 99% of students, puts educated women in a quandary, and is extremely costly. The only reason they don't do it is because they got stuck with it a long, long time ago and there are vested interests in keeping it that way.
Really?! A lot of talk about it in the US about getting rid of the last two years of high school? First it was a widely known waste of time for 95% of students, and now it's widely known to be a waste of time for 99% of students? Bad for educated women? We probably shouldn't get into this. I can see neither of us agreeing on anything any time in the near future.