Cell Phones That Will Work In The Philippines

i am bob
Posted
Posted
The iPhone 4S is a world phone. It has the capability to do both CDMA and GSM. However, in the US, they are locked to their respective carriers - so if you use Sprint, you are locked into using their CDMA. The good thing is that Sprint and Verizon recognizes the IPhone 4S capabilities and will unlock the GSM Sim card slot for international use only. And once unlocked you can use any international GSM sim card and it will work just fine, but it will not work with any US GSM card, like AT&T. So if you have a either a Verizon or Sprint iPhone 4s, they will unlock the GSM sim card slot, as long as you meet certain criteria. For Verizon, you have to have had the an account with them for at least 3 months - and the account has to be in good standings. Then all it takes is just one phone call and they will unlock the GSM Sim card slot for you. As for Sprint, it is a little different. They originally sold the Sprint iPhone 4s with the GSM sim card slot unlocked for international use, but I am not sure of the current status..I know this is confusing. But the bottom line is if you want to use an iPhone 4s with international GSM cards, don't go with AT&t. They will not unlock it. Go with either Verizon or Sprint, then you can use an international GSM card without having to pay someone to unlock the phone for you.
Or you can just buy an unlocked iPhone off the net or even some of the discount electronics stores... there are tons of them out there!

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I've got a Verizon Motorola Droid X. I have been told by Verizon it does not use a SIM. But I have read that there is a SIM slot but Verizon has it locked. So if this is true...My understnading is that I could get an unlocked Droid (possibly rooting mine would unlock?) then you can use it with different networks. And in the future I could pay attention and get a model with multiple SIM (I have seen dual and quad). I'm pretty computer literate but I have not pretended to keep up with phones...

• 11 months later...
Call me bubba
Posted
Posted (edited)

at least consider a TRI or QUAD band so it can work world-wide.

recently found a phone by STAR MOBILE unit Neptune F202 (flip top)

that is a QUAD BAND,dual sim

simple not alot of whizz,whistles and gizmos,

has bluetooth,&connection using the USB port(how this works :bash: I dont know.guess so you can download music on the "player"

low cost .under 1800 only draw back is that they are now hard to find as "star mobile" really did not do any promotion on their products,

reason I bought it was

1.it was flip top, so the screen doesnt get damaged

2. it has T-9 logic which is the spell check .allows you to write words instead of the other way,

3. am able to find a replacement battery

4. since its doesnt have the "beauty"of other cell phones, i feel the risk is reduced by "theft"

Edited by Pittman apartments Sgn

• 5 weeks later...
londonirish53
Posted
Posted

I have read several posts that have your phone already unlocked !!  Is there not a booth or shop that unlocks any phone on the cheap ??? Most mobile (cell) phone outlets charge a fee of $22 in the UK or so to unlock , sometimes more than the cost of a new phone !!  As I was going to bring some old phones to give away when I went to Cebu and keep a couple for personal use,  but if it's not possible to unlock cheaply I will ditch all and buy Cheapo in Cebu.  ANY IDEAS OF DIFFERENT PLZ  INFORM TA>>>

bootleultras
Posted
Posted

There is plenty of places that will unlock all sorts of phones & pretty cheap too!

On the iPhone 4s question, i bought mine in the US & it wasn't locked to any carrier, so I was able to come over & simply buy a micro sim from globe put it in my phone and bobs your uncle, i have internet access & gps tracking

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Since I"m now everybody's uncle and it's my birthday, can sombody give me an unlocked iPhone too?

:mocking:

earthdome
Posted
Posted

Since I"m now everybody's uncle and it's my birthday, can sombody give me an unlocked iPhone too?

Did you know that in the Philippines, especially for a foreigner, that it is your responsibility to buy the Emperador, pulutan, cake and videoke for your own birthday party?

• Like 2

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Did you know that in the Philippines, especially for a foreigner, that it is your responsibility to buy the Emperador, pulutan, cake and videoke for your own birthday party?

Soon as somebody gives me that dang phone, you can all have some Tanduay wings and a big mug of manok on me!  hic!

earthdome
Posted
Posted

Soon as somebody gives me that dang phone, you can all have some Tanduay wings and a big mug of manok on me!  hic!

I am waiting for you to send me Jollibee's!!

• Like 1