Pinoy Pride

Inspector
Posted
Posted
Lee, you are correct that the average OFW's life is difficult at best. Hard to think how hard it would one could be away from loved ones for ten twenty years at a time with only a month visit every few times. Filipinos are very family group oriented this is much more dificult than for western people who live a more independent life style.If I were to call a Filipino a Hero it would be the average person who works long hours in Philippines knowing that at any time he or she could lose their lousy low paying job for any or no reason and not be able to find another for how long. Those that live that life with optimism and a smile on their face in spite of all the BS that goes on there are darn special perhaps heroic.
Jobs back home should be number one so that so many do not have to leave their families which IMO breaks down the family unit and destroys the country and its people in the long run.
BINGO!

Jake
Posted
Posted

Hey guys,To get my train of thought going and with all due respect to Old55, I would like to rephrase the question: do we feel proud being a Filipino or Fliipina? My background as a Filipino, but mostly raised in California, does not necessarily give me the privilege to give you guys the ultimate and the most correct answer. All of you have contributed comments that I consider valid on both sides of the coin. Family values and the Filipino hospitality is a natural trait that I'm proud of. Also the amazing talent of Filipino singers and dancers are well known on the global internet and television. For example, listening to a Filipina singer belting Janis Joplin's blues with such emotion and energy, (yes she also had a whiskey bottle for prop) was simply unbelievable. In spite of extreme hardship, family members have sacrifice themselves to support their family core. I know myself, I would not be able to have any courage what some family members subject themselves to. And yet, they continue to work for pennies in a dirty and dank bar or return home in a coffin from a distant country because of physical abuse from their employer.The bottom line: yes, my heart is Filipino and proud of it but count my blessings that I was Americanized early in my life to a couple significant lessons. First is -- you don't puck with me and I don't puck with you. And good honest hard work (work ethics) rounds out my basic personality.Respectfully -- Jake

ekimswish
Posted
Posted (edited)

I would say the real Filipino hero is the rich man who pays his taxes honestly. OFW's sacrifice so much, and it's applaudable, but it's definitely the complete opposite direction the country should have focused its human resources. And while many OFW's leave with a heavy heart, I'm sure there are more than a few who love the freedom and experience of living in another country and would do it even if they didn't have to, even with kids at home. Let's be real. Not by any means do all of them have "freedom" to "experience" the other country, but there are some lucky ones, too. A true hero is a guy I saw on the news last Christmas who kept his identity secret, but was at the hospital paying other people's bills. That's flippin' (or the other F word) amazing! I hope I can do something like that one day. About pride, it's like asking why do you love your children? You can't rationalize it - especially during the potty-training days SugarwareZ-267.gif - but you do. Let me correct that; you can absolutely rationalize why you're proud of your country or why you love your kids, but you don't have to. Nothing wrong with being proud of Pacquiao; I'm proud of GSP and Steve Nash! lol... I'm proud of Pacquiao, too, as part of a Filipino family. I'm also proud of Taiwanese or Korean athletes who do well, even though I've merely lived in these countries for a short time. But ultimately, national pride comes down to being proud in the essence of who you are. If you don't like who you are, you might not like your country either. There might be a lot of things you hate about your country (as I do with Canada, or my brother-in-law might with the Philippines), but if someone bad mouths your people, you take it to heart, because they're bad mouthing you, too. It's who we are. Love yourself... Love your country. AND PAY YOUR TAXES :3_8_14[1]:

Edited by ekimswish

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

In spite of extreme hardship, family members have sacrifice themselves to support their family core.” LOL, thanks Jake you saw exactly where I was going with this question and answered it much better than I ever could have. The pride I see is that quiet determination to stick with difficult circumstances day in day out not just for themselves but for their children and family. Most of us from Western Countries know hard work and discipline. We even have had difficult times in our lives but how many of us live with so little hope? The average Filipino deals with this every day of his or her life. Are there a drunks, scammers’ and worse there…Yes, the Philippines has a very dark side too. Is that the norm? I don’t think so.

Hey guys,To get my train of thought going and with all due respect to Old55, I would like to rephrase the question: do we feel proud being a Filipino or Fliipina? My background as a Filipino, but mostly raised in California, does not necessarily give me the privilege to give you guys the ultimate and the most correct answer. All of you have contributed comments that I consider valid on both sides of the coin. Family values and the Filipino hospitality is a natural trait that I'm proud of. Also the amazing talent of Filipino singers and dancers are well known on the global internet and television. For example, listening to a Filipina singer belting Janis Joplin's blues with such emotion and energy, (yes she also had a whiskey bottle for prop) was simply unbelievable. In spite of extreme hardship, family members have sacrifice themselves to support their family core. I know myself, I would not be able to have any courage what some family members subject themselves to. And yet, they continue to work for pennies in a dirty and dank bar or return home in a coffin from a distant country because of physical abuse from their employer.The bottom line: yes, my heart is Filipino and proud of it but count my blessings that I was Americanized early in my life to a couple significant lessons. First is -- you don't puck with me and I don't puck with you. And good honest hard work (work ethics) rounds out my basic personality.Respectfully -- Jake

tropicalwaste
Posted
Posted

Now hardship is often used here as a reason for pride to work through it but I will ask this.. how much of it is self inflicted?Now I know some people have sponsered students that dropped out and from things going on this year within my wife's family I noticed madness that repeats the poverty pattern in several events the first one is the number of people this year I have seen have children even though they are either already struggling or simply have no means to support themselves never mind a newly formed family. Second thing is relevant to the first the amount of guys I have seen give up work this year because their partners were pregnant or about to give birth.. These seem people I will see in the future with the sad face complaining they have no money and at some point will ask for help.. They repeat the cycle of their parents yet they know the problems they have had to deal with their entire lives.. there is nothing to be proud of breeding and unable to support a family. Poverty is an excuse not a reason, people need to change how they operate for the better. How does this fit into pride? because the family unit is the source of pride many people use as an example yet its the same family units that cause people to get caught in the poverty trap.Regarding hero I can't use that definition for any OFW or any worker regardless if its for 20 years or not they are forced to do it its not through personal choice. A hero is someone who does a selfless act that impacts and saves others without thought that could endanger or cost themselves their own life in the act. Having good will, charitable or a self belief in wanting to help others doesn't make someone a hero in my opinion. But I do appreciate people that do it, the term hero has been stolen by political motivations all over the planet to use it to define one thing or another in the hope it quells anything that would stand against it. Who ever says a hero is wrong? (same reason the politicians stole the word!)

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted (edited)

SJP;Thanks for sharing your thoughts and that great picture too.Tropicalpenpals and Rusty I respect what you said. I know you live there full time and describe what you see every day. Your points are well taken.We know of a number of young ladies who have been provided free college tuition but were unable to keep their legs closed and got pregnant. That was a deal breaker for the “Help” so now they are single jobless with out a full education and a child.

A hero to me is someone who goes above and beyond the call of duty to help or save one or more people. Here in the west we are taught that we grow up and get a job and take care of our family. And we need to do what ever it takes to provide for are family. I think the same is felt in the Philippines. OFW,s are not doing anything that any one else would do if they had to. But I do know what they are going through. Being married to a Filipina I too send money home for the family. My wife's family is big, She has 3 sisters and 5 brothers all married with lots of kids. Out of the 8, six have jobs and work 6 days a week, 12 hours a day and are devoted to the family. They make enough to survive and no more for emergencies. We tend to always point out the bad things in life, Like the bad people who are lazy and don,t work. Here in the Philippines is no different than in the west. If you go to any poor area in any country in the west you will find lots of drunks and lazy people.The Filipinos have a lot to be proud of. I don,t think there is another nation that the people are so close to each other. They will always look after each other where ever they are. They have a lot of faith in God that there lives will one day change for the better ( maybe to much faith in God and not enough in themselves ) but even so they are upbeat. Even though they are in a not so privileged life they keep there head up and keep on smiling. Many times I have been offered a meal when I know that most could not afford to give it. Sure there country is a mess but that is mostly the governments fault and you would be surprised at how easy it is to keep control over a poor people nation.The average Filipino is a little child like in some ways as if they never really grew up totally. ( I kind of envy them for that in some ways ). Did any one see that u tube video where the 3 or 4 Filipinos were watching the miss universe pageant and the reaction when she made it to the finals, It was like those guys were 13 years old or something, Quite funny actually. For the most part the Filipino people I have met are warm and caring and giving people and I would not trade my family for anything. I curse and swear about this country and some of the things that go on here but the average Filipino is a nice person in my book
Edited by Old55

Jake
Posted
Posted

Tropicalpenpals quote: "Poverty is an excuse not a reason"Inspectors quote: "there is no pride shooting out a litter of kids" Among the other comments, the above quotes are indicative of dimensioning pride of the Filipino people. According to the National Statistics Office of the Philippines, the year 2015 projected population growth will be approximately 115,000,000 people. That's well over one hundred million people. The abject poverty level is at least 30%, depending on which statistics you use. Can you imagine the number of kids trying to survive in the streets of Manila, even now? Hell, even the rat population have a more nourishing meal everyday. To borrow a quote from Disney's movie "The Lion King" -- can you imagine their circle of life? Respectfully -- Jake

ekimswish
Posted
Posted

Again... let's take baby steps... A hero in the Philippines is someone with immense wealth who pays their taxes in complete honesty, in spite of the attempts of accountants to help them cheat.

URGIRL
Posted
Posted

I agree there are a lot of things filipinos are proud of.. 1st locations were blessed to have white sand beaches.and good natural resources were fish is abundant for our fisherman's family and sweet mangoes SugarwareZ-065.gif .and etc... we're not only proud with a boxer SugarwareZ-267.gif , we have singers who excels in the entertainment industries in different country. we even have pinoys who excels in culinary we have White House Executive Chef Cristeta Pasia Comerford - The First Filipina Chef to feed the First Family. and right now we have Cantil-Sakauye the newly elected head of the Supreme Court in the state of California. :SugarwareZ-037: Pinoys are know all over the world because of their hard work,talents, and their perseverance to survive with their family, we know for a fact philippine government sucks :angry: because of corruption thats why people are force to work in different country for their families.but their are even people who are force to send their kids at a very young age to work and worse cases send there daughters to a brothel to earn money to feed their hungry stomach.but i cant blame them if only officials are sensitive and do everything to fix unemployment then their would be no such thing as OFW and child labor.but above all this negativity I am proud to be Pinoy.i was raised in a family we believe families are forever.i was raised with good values. All i know is that nobody's perfect, we might have a psycho killer who's filipino, but this doesn't applies to filipinos only or even the country Philippines it can happen anywhere and everywhere :o good day everyone :) take and be safe all...kindly regards,che che

Reading an editorial in the Free Man the other day got me thinking what it means to me and how it affects my Filipino friends and loved ones.For sure Filipinos have many things to be proud of. Typically they have strong family values and a kind giving nature even when they have very little worldly goods. We see Pinoy Pride polo shirts with the Islands detailed on them and even web pages like www.pinoypride.net. God only knows there are more than enough natural and self made disasters in the Islands. What positive things have you witnessed or experienced lately to do with Filipinos’ or within the Cebu area?

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

So as we talk about Filipino pride and OFW's THIS story just came up and made me say  :SugarwareZ-037:  Incest cases in Philippines increasing  and it seems to relate directly to the OFW situation because so many women (70%) being OFW, so this makes me see just how the government might actually be ruining the family unit in the PHL.

MANILA, Philippines - The Child Protection Unit-Philippines yesterday expressed concern over the high incidence of incest cases in the country.CPU legal consultant Katrina Legarda said 33 percent of the total child abuse incidents recorded in 2009 were incest.  

“This disturbing phenomenon of the girl-child being turned into substitute spouse has been happening in our country along with the feminization of labor migration,” Legarda said in a statement.Legarda said women now comprised 70 percent of Filipino workers deployed abroad.