Is It Really Cheaper To Live In The Phils

brock
Posted
Posted (edited)

All I can say is you guys want to try and live in England., I was renting a house for 2,000 $ per month.Minimum wage in England is about 10 $ per hour.A carton of cigarettes about 95 US Dollars.A Chicken 8 $Gas 9.50 $ a gallonpint of beer 5 $ to 7 $Gallon of milk 10 $hot dog 4 $burger 4 $pint of san miquel 11.50 $A woman for 30 minutes about 120 $, and thats if you don`t mind one thats got a face like a bulldog chewing a wasp.You guys just do not know how lucky you are

Edited by brock

sjp52
Posted
Posted
That,s what I,m doing Bruce. Slowly fixing up the wives little house. Maybe not for me to live in but you never know. I love how cheap it is for labour here and materials. When I first came to visit my wife I could not believe what shape the house was in. It was not her fault as there was never any money to fix it up. I was shocked to learn that the kids all slept on the floor, So of course I bought all new beds, The kids looked like they had died and gone to heaven.
Uh, YEAH! Wives is plural of wife. So I assume you got more than one! Way to go! I like your way of thinking...... hehehehehe Nice photographs..... And about the kids sleeping, I was amazed to see them sleep on a couple of chairs, all lights on, no problems with noise!To see more about me and what I do, use the link under my name. And make sure to expand the video and turn the sound up for the full effect... sleeping kids in the video too..... Bruce
I admire you Bruce. I wish there was more people like you. Its too bad the government doesn,t care as much as you do. I too try to help in my own little way but just help my family which is quite a big one. Paying for hospital bills and fixing teeth and helping with food supplies takes quit a chunk of my change, But you help out with so many. keep up the good work. As you know you are rewarded every day with what you do.

sjp52
Posted
Posted
All I can say is you guys want to try and live in England., I was renting a house for 2,000 $ per month.Minimum wage in England is about 10 $ per hour.A carton of cigarettes about 95 US Dollars.A Chicken 8 $Gas 9.50 $ a gallonpint of beer 5 $ to 7 $Gallon of milk 10 $hot dog 4 $burger 4 $pint of san miquel 11.50 $A woman for 30 minutes about 120 $, and thats if you don`t mind one thats got a face like a bulldog chewing a wasp.You guys just do not know how lucky you are
Why is it so expensive there ? Does the government have a lot to offer the people ? I worked with a guy for years that came from England He was one of the nicest guys I know. He did not think to much of his country. I hear the taxes are outrageous there.

MikeB
Posted
Posted
So if anyone wants to compare prices, do not take my word for it and do not think in pesos, (my neighbor in Cebu does that and looks at cereal and says wow only 3.99 and I say to him, that is over $9.00 and then his eyes open up wide and he puts it back on the shelf)
Maybe I'm misunderstanding. I bought a large (275g) box of cereal - Kellogg's Corn Flakes yesterday. I'm looking at the receipt, it was 122p or less then $3.

Bundy
Posted
Posted

Some interesting comments here and i can see the validity on both sides.I have never been nor do i have any inclination to visit the US so i can only comment on Australia.I have never lived for more than 6 months at any one time in the Phils but i have always found it to be cheaper than Australia.Sure if i was to live in the city and eat everything that i could eat here in OZ then i would expect the two costings would come a lot closer, however i've always found that you only have to adjust your diet just slightly and it makes a tremendous difference.There are some things here in Bundaberg which we just don't eat anymore coz they have become too expensive. Bananas are currently $2.50 each. Oranges are $2.00 each. Mangos are $5.00 each.Steak is just out of the question, and i now see it as something which i'll eat at a resturant on a special occassion! A small family size chicken here is $10.90 and the large one is $ 13.50. A hamburger is $7.00 - $10.50 depending on what's on it.As far as housing is concerned, we own a nice house here but to rent something similar it would cost you around $ 400.00 per week! Ok so the standard of construction is not as good in the Phils but if you're renting does that really matter? We will be moving to Carcar in February and have no problem at all in saying that we will live there for a lot less than it costs us to live here in OZ. I guess it really just depends on the individual and exactly what you need in your everyday life to make you comfortable and happy. One person may need $4000 a month and the next may only need $800. In the end it makes no difference as long as we're all happy.

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted (edited)
So if anyone wants to compare prices, do not take my word for it and do not think in pesos, (my neighbor in Cebu does that and looks at cereal and says wow only 3.99 and I say to him, that is over $9.00 and then his eyes open up wide and he puts it back on the shelf)
Maybe I'm misunderstanding. I bought a large (275g) box of cereal - Kellogg's Corn Flakes yesterday. I'm looking at the receipt, it was 122p or less then $3.
OK so 275g equals 9.7 oz's according to THIS conversion site, and below is the price for 6 boxes of 24 oz Corn Flakes which I believe 24 oz is more than double the size (of a 9.7 oz box), for each box, so at Walmart for $16.08 plus .97 shipping which works out to $2.83 a box, so is $2.83 a box which is more than double the size and close to triple the size, less expensive? According to my math it is way less expensive but maybe I am doing something wrong? :unsure: Please correct me if I am wrong because I am not really good at these conversions and just relying on the internet. Cereals at Walmart prices1113000235281_180X180.jpgKellogg'S Corn Flakes Cereal, 24 oz, 6 Pack $16.08icn_97_cent_shipping_to_home.gif Also added, I see Bundy commented, so thank you for filling us in on prices in Australia, so there is no doubt that it is less expensive for those from the UK and Australia to move to the Philippines, but those of us for the US might have to rethink our positions, or be willing to pay extra for the life we get in the Philippines. Edited by Kuya Lee
add

MikeB
Posted
Posted
OK so 275g equals 9.7 oz's according to THIS conversion site, and below is the price for 6 boxes of 24 oz Corn Flakes which I believe 24 oz is more than double the size (of a 9.7 oz box), for each box, so at Walmart for $16.08 plus .97 shipping which works out to $2.83 a box, so is $2.83 a box which is more than double the size and close to triple the size, less expensive? According to my math it is way less expensive but maybe I am doing something wrong? :unsure: Please correct me if I am wrong because I am not really good at these conversions and just relying on the internet. Cereals at Walmart prices1113000235281_180X180.jpgKellogg'S Corn Flakes Cereal, 24 oz, 6 Pack $16.08icn_97_cent_shipping_to_home.gif Also added, I see Bundy commented, so thank you for filling us in on prices in Australia, so there is no doubt that it is less expensive for those from the UK and Australia to move to the Philippines, but those of us for the US might have to rethink our positions, or be willing to pay extra for the life we get in the Philippines.
You're comparing buying large boxes bulk from Walmart with plucking a single, much smaller box off the shelf so of course it's going to be more. I think there is a Costco here, a better comparison would be checking prices on bulk items there.

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
OK so 275g equals 9.7 oz's according to THIS conversion site, and below is the price for 6 boxes of 24 oz Corn Flakes which I believe 24 oz is more than double the size (of a 9.7 oz box), for each box, so at Walmart for $16.08 plus .97 shipping which works out to $2.83 a box, so is $2.83 a box which is more than double the size and close to triple the size, less expensive? According to my math it is way less expensive but maybe I am doing something wrong? :unsure: Please correct me if I am wrong because I am not really good at these conversions and just relying on the internet. Cereals at Walmart prices1113000235281_180X180.jpgKellogg'S Corn Flakes Cereal, 24 oz, 6 Pack $16.08icn_97_cent_shipping_to_home.gif Also added, I see Bundy commented, so thank you for filling us in on prices in Australia, so there is no doubt that it is less expensive for those from the UK and Australia to move to the Philippines, but those of us for the US might have to rethink our positions, or be willing to pay extra for the life we get in the Philippines.
You're comparing buying large boxes bulk from Walmart with plucking a single, much smaller box off the shelf so of course it's going to be more. I think there is a Costco here, a better comparison would be checking prices on bulk items there.
Prices of single boxes are not much different but they do not list those online, and they cost even less than I quoted in Costco here. There is an S&R there which is sort of like Costco but my wife and I were shocked to find that the prices there on most staple items is even higher than I saw in the supermarket. It also cost p700 to join S&R, but I think it would be worthwhile for someone if they like meats and cheeses, since they had a nice selection, yet most other items we looked at which they ship in with the Kirkland brand, are twice what they are here. I will join next year for the pizza, the meats and the cheeses, but that is about all I would buy there. My wife and I have been there twice and both times the place was pretty empty of people, I suspect they will not last unless they can get some local products and then sell those at much more reasonable prices. Maybe the new SM hypermart near SM and which used to be called another name (Mackro I think) might be better, I sure hope so.

Art2ro
Posted
Posted (edited)

My wife is a thrifty shopper by comparing prices as to their quality, weight and cost, she usually can buy whatever we need at our SM supermarket and local outdoor markets! As long as our weekly grocery budget is met without going over, I'm fine with that and as long as I stay out of her way during her grocery day! I'm a compulsive shopper, so I don't go with her inside the supermarket as long she buys what I want, requested or hinted in advance, if not, it comes out of my pocket directly right then and there if I tag along! So, I never tag along, too costly in the end once we get home and see what's in the shopping bags! Here in the Philippines our weekly budget is fine for only the two of us, but in California it isn't, because there would be an extra family to feed even though they would chip in a little!

Edited by Art2ro

Inspector
Posted
Posted
I do believe my Kellogs calculator confirms your math here sir Lee.However, I do believe Oatmeal has a more favorable outcome for Cebu versus Florida.1753-4631-4-3-i56.gifAs you can see, using the Riemann-Liouville fractional derivatives, oatmeal is 2.31% cheaper provided a taxi is being used in a shorter distance. Alright, back on topic and getting down and serious...it is cheaper to live in the Philippines, depending upon the area, how you want to live, and how you were living where you came from.Well, that there are a lot of factors, well past a simple Kellogs Corn Flakes conversion calculations, something I have never seen done with a cereal, and yes, they are Great, if frosted...but there is simply no way to ever be "right" in this thread, aside from saying in simple terms...if you want to live a western life in the Philippines, it will cost as much for some things, and less for others. Art said it well...service items are cheaper, and goods more expensive.Anybody can have the last word here, but I'm not sure what else there really IS to say.