Is It Really Cheaper To Live In The Phils

Art2ro
Posted
Posted (edited)

I bought my "Little Red" 1979 Toyota Corolla in really bad condition in 1998 for P45,000 as is and had her restored back to her old glory for P42,000 just interior and exterior cosmetics, but the engine hasn't been touched all this time except for oil seals, A/C compressor and radiator, shocks and ball joints! A newer car would cost more for parts! So, it's really cheaper to keep her and the wife! post-682-0-18577000-1307261053_thumb.jpg post-682-0-63320200-1307261009_thumb.jpgpost-682-0-02716700-1307261381_thumb.jpgpost-682-0-14861800-1307261447_thumb.jpg

Edited by Art2ro

Papa Carl
Posted
Posted
I bought my "Little Red" 1979 Toyota Corolla in really bad condition in 1998 for P45,000 as is and had her restored back to her old glory for P42,000 just interior and exterior cosmetics, but the engine hasn't been touched all this time except for oil seals, A/C compressor and radiator, shocks and ball joints! A newer car would cost more for parts! So, it's really cheaper to keep her and the wife! post-682-0-18577000-1307261053_thumb.jpg post-682-0-63320200-1307261009_thumb.jpgpost-682-0-02716700-1307261381_thumb.jpgpost-682-0-14861800-1307261447_thumb.jpg
Very Nice! Would be proud to be seen driving in such a great looking little car!!!1Papa Carl

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

OK guys, while the cars are sort of on topic if prices in the Philippines and your home country were to be mentioned, I feel we are getting off topic to continue in that discussion if no comparison is mentioned, so possibly start a new thread about cars or mention the difference in costs in your home country verses the Philippines in your posts about them in this topic. I have found from reading the newspapers and seeing them in the malls that new cars in the Philippines seem very expensive, yet some such as Toyota's sold in the Philippines, are made in the Philippines, yet still more expensive. One example was a Hyundai Tuscan my wife and I saw in Ayala Mall in Cebu that was about $30,000 with the exchange rate, whereas the same car can be bought here in Florida for about $22,000 fairly well loaded. Yet some of the less expensive cars like Cherry are not yet imported into the US that I know of, so those did in fact seem inexpensive when we saw them displayed in SM Mall Cebu, so I guess deals can be had for a good shopper.

intrepid
Posted
Posted

I am by far an expert on exact price comparing of many items. However, I will share my observations from the small buying and large looking in the Philippines. Most items which can be made in the PI will usually have a lesser price and I think that is due to the labor cost. Many of the imported items I have looked ator purchased have similar prices to what I pay on the East coast of the US. With import fees and shipping costs, I still feel the cost is not too much higher if at all.Now, for electronics, computers, TV, ect., even these items have similar costs to the US. The exception here would be the cell phone. BUT, what really makes the difference is the sales, discounts, closeoutitems where you can really get that "bargin" in the US. Compaired to PI, I have rerely seen these items marked down or discounted. Even when the item is several model years or updates old, I have yet to see them discounted. It may happen, but I have not seen it with electronics or new automobiles.danny

Art2ro
Posted
Posted (edited)

OK, here's my last opinion on this topic! We've been living here in the Philippines for the past 13 years and yes overall, I do believe it is still cheaper to live here if one has no college tuition fees, rent, mortgage or auto/ins payments or medical bills/ins to worry about, because in the U.S., those are still the major things that can not be avoided most of the time when one still have teenagers and lives in the U.S., where as here in the Philippines one can and the monthly house rent can be way cheaper and one can do without a vehicle if one decides to do so! So, it just comes down to the cost of imported goods one wishes to buy or not on a weekly basis! If one can live the Filipino lifestyle and just buys the local stuff, one can save money for sure and much fresher at times! With the money one saves, it will be a good nest egg for those unexpected medical emergencies and or contingencies! So yes, I do believe it's cheaper to live in the Philippines hands down or with "boots on the ground" in the provinces, cities or suburbs within reason or within one's pension or other sources of income if one is semi-retired and still working off and on, because they are still healthy to do so! Who doesn't like a little extra money now and then when one can still work?

Edited by Art2ro

oldutot
Posted
Posted (edited)
OK, here's my last opinion on this topic! We've been living here in the Philippines for the past 13 years and yes overall, I do believe it is still cheaper to live here if one has no college tuition fees, rent, mortgage or auto/ins payments or medical bills/ins to worry about, because in the U.S., those are still the major things that can not be avoided most of the time when one still have teenagers and lives in the U.S., where as here in the Philippines one can and the monthly house rent can be way cheaper and one can do without a vehicle if one decides to do so! So, it just comes down to the cost of imported goods one wishes to buy or not on a weekly basis! If one can live the Filipino lifestyle and just buys the local stuff, one can save money for sure and much fresher at times! With the money one saves, it will be a good nest egg for those unexpected medical emergencies and or contingencies! So yes, I do believe it's cheaper to live in the Philippines hands down or with "boots on the ground" in the provinces, cities or suburbs within reason or within one's pension or other sources of income if one is semi-retired and still working off and on, because they are still healthy to do so! Who doesn't like a little extra money now and then when one can still work?
Art, You have always made a good quote. That if you are married to a filipina, mostly likely you will find yourself relocating back to the P.I.. For me it's all about the wife and taking her backhome. At my age, I just worry about her and if something happens to me. I feel much relief that we have a place there. Edited by oldutot

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
OK so 275g equals 9.7 oz's according to THIS conversion site, and below is the price for 6 boxes of 24 oz Corn Flakes which I believe 24 oz is more than double the size (of a 9.7 oz box), for each box, so at Walmart for $16.08 plus .97 shipping which works out to $2.83 a box, so is $2.83 a box which is more than double the size and close to triple the size, less expensive? According to my math it is way less expensive but maybe I am doing something wrong? :unsure: Please correct me if I am wrong because I am not really good at these conversions and just relying on the internet. Cereals at Walmart prices

1113000235281_180X180.jpgKe

llogg'S Corn Flakes Cereal, 24 oz, 6 Pack $16.08icn_97_cent_shipping_to_home.gif Also added, I see Bundy commented, so thank you for filling us in on prices in Australia, so there is no doubt that it is less expensive for those from the UK and Australia to move to the Philippines, but those of us for the US might have to rethink our positions, or be willing to pay extra for the life we get in the Philippines.

You're comparing buying large boxes bulk from Walmart with plucking a single, much smaller box off the shelf so of course it's going to be more. I think there is a Costco here, a better comparison would be checking prices on bulk items there.
OK my wife and I just went shopping at Publix Supermarket and we were going to look at the cost of Kellogg's Corn Flake Cereal but since they had it on sale, we decided to buy it. They had the 18 oz box on sale for $3.99 but the kicker was that they also had it as buy one get one free, so we got 2 of the 18 oz boxes for $3.99 and regular price for the 18 oz box was $4.29 so that is two of what you get for only $1 more. So there goes your thoughts about buying bulk, and I believe even at the full price, 18 oz boxes are still less than the boxes cost in the cheapest place in the Philippines. OK so I proved my point, not that it really matters, and while corn flakes are definitely on the low end of importance, overall staples of life do cost more in the Philippines than they do in Florida, but as Sampaguita pointed out in another thread, cable, water, phone and dsl prices are lower, so I guess it depends on how much a family eats, whether is makes up for the higher costs of many foods. :unsure:

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

I have not yet seen it mentioned, but a guy who has what it takes to stay absolutely single can live much cheaper in the Philippines. I mean no wife, steady girlfriend, or live in. I do have an acquaintance who does this all on 500 pesos a day plus his rent. He had been doing it for years, work 6 months and come here 6 months.Now why do I call him an acquaintance? I used to call him a friend but I have come to realize that I don't have the same respect for a guy who feels the need to make a new conquest every 3 days, (because he does like female companionship, he just does not want to support one). Just my personal convictions changing as I grow into my own relationship suppose.Why is this the case? Well its just common sense really, You are only supporting 1 person instead of 2 plus extended family.

gapotwo
Posted
Posted
I have not yet seen it mentioned, but a guy who has what it takes to stay absolutely single can live much cheaper in the Philippines. I mean no wife, steady girlfriend, or live in. I do have an acquaintance who does this all on 500 pesos a day plus his rent. He had been doing it for years, work 6 months and come here 6 months.Now why do I call him an acquaintance? I used to call him a friend but I have come to realize that I don't have the same respect for a guy who feels the need to make a new conquest every 3 days, (because he does like female companionship, he just does not want to support one). Just my personal convictions changing as I grow into my own relationship suppose.Why is this the case? Well its just common sense really, You are only supporting 1 person instead of 2 plus extended family.
Exactly my plan dave, i just returned the ol lady to her mother last month and diddnt even ask for a refund. and dont plan on keeping a full time girl in the PH.when i get home. big savings. there are lots of women that are independent and just like to play, with no strings attached. most are upper middle classed. and there own source of income, not yours sort of. so no live in, +no rent, i own my home and income propertys.= big savings. mo money to dump into my main hobby, Combat shooting.i can already hear the ca ching sound as the brass hits the floor.and ive heard that can get expensive in the philippines. Tanks EJ.

Art2ro
Posted
Posted (edited)
Art, You have always made a good quote. That if you are married to a filipina, mostly likely you will find yourself relocating back to the P.I.. For me it's all about the wife and taking her backhome. At my age, I just worry about her and if something happens to me. I feel much relief that we have a place there.
My second to the last comment! Yeah, My wife is happy here in the Philippines and she will still be happy after I'm long gone, because she still has family, other relatives and friends here and a nice comfortable home in a quiet, clean and safe location! Anyways, I'm way beyond what it cost for a box of non-frosted corn flakes, which I never buy anyways, I'm a "Honey Nut Bunches of Oats" kind of guy, but haven't found any recently so I just quit buying cereals all together, except for oat meal or cream of wheat which is OK, probably cheaper and better for me in the long run health wise even though I'm not that health conscience, because I love greasy foods like SOS or biscuits & gravy, with 2 eggs over easy, hashed brown potato and 4 links of pork sausages on the side, but it's not that cheap in any American restaurants like at the IHOP, but it's so damn goooooood!!!!!!! I think that's what I had when I met up with Jake in California last year at the IHOP near his home! I miss those IHOP restaurants in California!!!!Just a sample pic I borrowed from somewhere!Still looks good though! I think around $5.99 with a Senior citizen discount! mocking.gifpost-682-0-04701500-1307453224_thumb.jpg 7_4_17[1].gif Edited by Art2ro