Is It Really Cheaper To Live In The Phils

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

I read about the cereal debate & I think cereal is important & a direct indicator of food costs
I could never argue with that,every year I anxiously await for the annual cereal report to be handed down before considering my financial future for the next 12 months.crack-up.gif

RetiredNavyGuy
Posted
Posted

I wrote a long post, but deleted it in the interest of brevity. Here's the bottom line...if you want to export your current lifestyle, in its entirety, to a new location, I strongly recommend you just stay put. Even if you are staying in the same country, moving from a large city to a small town will required many changes and "sacrifices" that you probably won't like. There are intangibles to consider along with the dollars and sense. If you decide you want to stay put, I won't criticize or judge you. HOWEVER, PLEASE GIVE ME THE SAME RESPECT IF MY VISION AND PRIORITIES LED ME TO MAKE A DIFFERENT DECISION THAN WHAT YOU DID.

Art2ro
Posted
Posted
NOT actually cheaper & you actually get what you pay for on things that arehere is a house for $400 a month walking distance to shopping in Arkansas then you decide. better roads- better food- a real kitchen- no pollution- tap water to drink- real programs on tv- people who stop for stop signs & obey laws & turn their headlights on at night- nobody peeing on walls- trees & green grass- safe buses- less expensive home food- products I grew up with & know- earning dollars & spending dollars- real work rules & laws- great medical care- street lights- traffic lights that work- clean streets- no broken sidewalks- no giant pot holes- so to me the only thing the Philippines has going for it is the women & even that can be a can of worms with their familieswhen I get back it will be only long enough to get to know a good woman & then bring her back here where sanity & the rule of law prevails post-310-0-41522300-1308603318_thumb.jpg
Travis, nice digs! Who said it isn't all what you say it is in the U.S. or where you are living now as long as you can cut your expenses in half by sharing living space with some one else! Not every one like yourself is willing to do that who savors their privacy and I'm one of those type of person, I get grumpy when I don't have my privacy! Every one has a different set of rules they live by and have choices in how one wants to live due to their financial circumstances and where one prefers to live for whatever the reasons! "Life is what we all make it to be"! I'm glad you're doing fine and posting again!

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

I personally think Travis is smart to sacrifice and live on the cheap now in order to build a nest egg for his future next retirement. I too retired too early and I think that had I stayed working a few more years, then I would have been in a much better position than I am now, but what is done is done, and we all make our own decisions and live with them. Travis only had Social Security to live on and that was not enough for him to live the life he wished to live, so I cannot fault him for that, but at the same time he also should not be telling anyone else how they should wish to live, and knowing him a little better than the rest of you, I do not think that was what he was actually trying to do. As for privacy, I am lucky enough to have had him expand on his life in emails back and forth, so he told me that the house is set up like a mother daughter, so he has his own bathroom, a large bedroom, private entrance and a small kitchenette of his own, so other than sharing utility expenses, he and his housemate never have to see each other unless they are hanging in the backyard relaxing, planting or barbecuing, so it sounds like he found the perfect mix for him for now. We all have choices in life, and he made his, and you all have to make your own and base those on your wants and needs. Life is what we all make it, so lets all make it good. :yes: Oh and let me add, I do not feel that telling the truth about anything is negativity, I believe as Travis wrote somewhere, fair and balanced should be what forums should be about, and people can then judge for themselves and use their own minds.

Inspector
Posted
Posted
NOT actually cheaper & you actually get what you pay for on things that arehere is a house for $400 a month walking distance to shopping in Arkansas then you decide. better roads- better food- a real kitchen- no pollution- tap water to drink- real programs on tv- people who stop for stop signs & obey laws & turn their headlights on at night- nobody peeing on walls- trees & green grass- safe buses- less expensive home food- products I grew up with & know- earning dollars & spending dollars- real work rules & laws- great medical care- street lights- traffic lights that work- clean streets- no broken sidewalks- no giant pot holes- so to me the only thing the Philippines has going for it is the women & even that can be a can of worms with their familieswhen I get back it will be only long enough to get to know a good woman & then bring her back here where sanity & the rule of law prevails post-310-0-41522300-1308603318_thumb.jpg
All you need is the younger lady you can trust in the USA. and it seems you are all set. :th_thsmilies-29057:And when I say younger, I mean a lady still having a "drive". If you ever get back to the Philippines, give Davao City a try. You might get all that, and the younger lady...just say no to the family begging, and if that does not work, try again...and again. It can be fun trying. :cheersty:Travis, are you the greeter in Walmart?

Travis
Posted
Posted
I wrote a long post, but deleted it in the interest of brevity. Here's the bottom line...if you want to export your current lifestyle, in its entirety, to a new location, I strongly recommend you just stay put. Even if you are staying in the same country, moving from a large city to a small town will required many changes and "sacrifices" that you probably won't like. There are intangibles to consider along with the dollars and sense. If you decide you want to stay put, I won't criticize or judge you. HOWEVER, PLEASE GIVE ME THE SAME RESPECT IF MY VISION AND PRIORITIES LED ME TO MAKE A DIFFERENT DECISION THAN WHAT YOU DID.
sorry I seem to have offended you. if you like it there then you are a better man that I am & maybe have more income then I had so I am happy for you

Travis
Posted
Posted
All you need is the younger lady you can trust in the USA. and it seems you are all set. :th_thsmilies-29057:And when I say younger, I mean a lady still having a "drive". If you ever get back to the Philippines, give Davao City a try. You might get all that, and the younger lady...just say no to the family begging, and if that does not work, try again...and again. It can be fun trying. :cheersty:Travis, are you the greeter in Walmart?
thanks maybe I will try Davao next time & the women there or I will get a faithful loving dog & just stay here. I know it does not replace a woman but they are mans best friend. no I am not a greeter & make a lot more then they do

RetiredNavyGuy
Posted
Posted
sorry I seem to have offended you. if you like it there then you are a better man that I am & maybe have more income then I had so I am happy for you
Travis, I was offended only by what I perceived to be a judgmental attitude toward people who have made a different decision. In an earlier post, Kuya Lee said he didn't think you meant it that way. Since he knows you, and I don't, I'll accept that. By the way, most of comments were not aimed at you - ANYONE who moves, blocks or thousands of miles, will face changes. All I was suggesting was that if people (anyone, not just you) can't handle those changes, they probably shouldn't move.Personally, I couldn't handle roommates, but that's just me. However, I would never put someone down, or imply that they were a fool for choosing to live that way. If it works for you, I wish you well...life is too short to be doing things that don't work for us, or to be worried about how other people choose to live. As to the forum, yes alternative points of view are a good thing...I just ask that you be careful about how you come across. Facts, great! Opinions, probably. Judgments about others decisions, an invitation to a flame war which doesn't help anyone.Be well, and most importantly, be happy. Robert