Is It Really Cheaper To Live In The Phils

Art2ro
Posted
Posted (edited)
Since we're on the subject of rotisserie chickens, has anyone tried CHOOCKS Chicken? Chooks To Go: "Masarap Kahit Walang Sauce"! http://www.macuha.co...s/chooks-to-go/
I went down to Chooks To Go only to find they had already gone rolleyes.gif
We have a Chooks chicken near us and a small whole chicken is around P190. So it's the same price Lee paid! But Chooks chicken is pretty tasty without any sauce as they advertised! Andok's chicken is good too! Are we off topic again? OK here's getting us back on track!OK! It's a yes & no answer, whether or not it's cheaper to live in the Philippines!Because.......... it all depends on where one lives and how much income one has! Edited by Fil/AmArt

Jim Sibbick
Posted
Posted

I am presently renting a small apartment in Palompon Leyte with my girlfriend. We have a very small karaoke bar and a barbecue stand in the jeepney terminal at night. They do not earn enough for a foreigner to live on so I have to spend time in Australia earning money and just go home when I can afford to.However, I have been thinking about a budget lately that I can afford to live on and still be happy. It is usd $350 per month. This is not for most of the members here but may be of interest to someone on a small disability pension.Here is my monthly budget based on actual costs, not including entertainment.Rent P2500Electricity for a couple of fans (no aircon), computor, fridge, tv and usual electric household items. P1500Gas for cooking P500Landline with 256 DSL internet P1000Cable TV with 34 channels (all they offer) P400Mobile texting and calls P1000Food. Already have food leftovers/non sales from 2 businesses. So extra P4000 per month should take care of the rest of our needs.Total P10,900Or about usd $250We have talked about hobbies before. Already have those in place with a karaoke bar and barbecue stand.Can go out to eat every night and eat our own food, at cost. Can drink beer, at cost! So, maybe another $100 a month to take care of other entertainment.If the business makes money to cover some of the expenses mentioned above, that will be a bonus.Regards: Jim

Art2ro
Posted
Posted

Jim, For me, I'm truly amazed and impressed you can live on that amount! That's really being frugal in my book, but good for you, that you can manage with that budget of yours! Our grocery bill alone is already at P28,000 a month which consist mostly of imported goods! So, it's just each to their own thing what one does with their personal disposable income! We are doing fine with what we have and not complaining about anything too much about living here in the Philippines! Hey, it's our roots and we have adjusted to our way of lifestyle here! We plan to stay here indefinitely, because there's no place like home!

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
I am presently renting a small apartment in Palompon Leyte with my girlfriend. We have a very small karaoke bar and a barbecue stand in the jeepney terminal at night. They do not earn enough for a foreigner to live on so I have to spend time in Australia earning money and just go home when I can afford to.However, I have been thinking about a budget lately that I can afford to live on and still be happy. It is usd $350 per month. This is not for most of the members here but may be of interest to someone on a small disability pension.Here is my monthly budget based on actual costs, not including entertainment.Rent P2500Electricity for a couple of fans (no aircon), computor, fridge, tv and usual electric household items. P1500Gas for cooking P500Landline with 256 DSL internet P1000Cable TV with 34 channels (all they offer) P400Mobile texting and calls P1000Food. Already have food leftovers/non sales from 2 businesses. So extra P4000 per month should take care of the rest of our needs.Total P10,900Or about usd $250We have talked about hobbies before. Already have those in place with a karaoke bar and barbecue stand.Can go out to eat every night and eat our own food, at cost. Can drink beer, at cost! So, maybe another $100 a month to take care of other entertainment.If the business makes money to cover some of the expenses mentioned above, that will be a bonus.Regards: Jim
Thank you for posting your expenses Jim. We know there are a few other Foreigners living and enjoying Philippines for much less than $1K USD a month. I deeply respect Jim’s experiences visiting and living in Leyte. :th_thsmilies-29057: It only goes to show there is no clear definitive answer to a one size fits all budget. To answer the question “is it cheaper to live in the Philippines” I think YES for most folks it is cheaper than most developed or western countries.

• 3 months later...
piglett
Posted
Posted
Well, i live at Rizal Montalban.I own a huge house which we build ourself (NOT CONTRACTOR!!!!). The way we made the house plus the location of our area, we hardly ever need aircon. Our area offers everything a family man would want, Robinsons, a modest town mall, clean air, peace, tranquility, safe, great views. And huge malls such as SM north, Trinoma, SM fairview are just 40 minutes driving (in the middle of the day).My bills are more or less as follows6000p/month for helpers3000p/monts water and electricity1000p/month subdivison dues2000p/month phone and internet25.000p/month groceries and food for a family of 3+2helpers (yes i am a fat guy and i love good food)10.000p/month clothing, bling blings and stupid buys10.000p/month kid's school and school busEntertainment expends do vary a lot depending on our plans (if we have a project to buy something or have more or less work) but it varies from 5000p/month to 30.000p/month more or less.So my monthly expends are from 90.000p/month (living all the lavishes more or less) to 60.000p/month (living modestly on entertainment).In US$ it is from 2000$/month down to 1400$/month. Now that is the monthly expends without buying any more properties or car etc.I am not from United States but i bet that if you own your house you can live just fine a family of 3 with 2000$/month on a modest life.Yes for Filipinos i am considered rich but that is the life i want to live and that is why i stay here and that is the life i want on my retirement which i have already secured more than 2000$/month on my 55.If it was about survival then i could have lived here at the same area i am for 650$/month as a friend expat lives here and let me count it downHe own his house (75m2) but he could have lived in a 40m2 house for a rental of 4000p/monthUtilities electricity water phone internet 3000p/monthSubdivision dues 250p/monthHelper 0p/month (he owns an FX and he is providing housing to his driver and his wife so in exchange of the housing the driver's wife does the helper too, no he is not touching her)Girlfirends 5000p/month (the guy is 65 and he changes 1-2 gf's per month, he is not going to girlie bars neither utilizies girls who offer "services" simply he is good on selling love and he does that 6 years now that i know him)Food and groceries 5000p/month since he buys only for him self.Entertainment-clothing 1000p/month, he is not drinking neither needs to go out, whenever we go out for coffee together that is all his expends. His clothes he buys ukai ukai.That is 28.000p/month and he is happy with his life plus people think he is rich!!!!! That is 650$/month.
so if I read that correctly your assessment agrees with mine that if we want to live a GREAT life while in the Phils then we have to have a decent income & your friend already owns his own home so if you add rent to what it cost him to live & if you set aside some for emergencies then again it would take well over $1000 US a month to live a decent life & your friend still has to pay property taxes & house upkeep so that would have to be added. my biggest beef was that I was lead astray into thinking that a man could live like a king on less than $1000 a month & I do agree that people can live on less but at what cost & I so far am finding it less to live back here in the US but still miss the Phils
Well it's up to the individual of what he needs to be happy. I know guys who came to live here because they cannot afford living in their countries and now they look on other options such as vietnam... One thing is survival and another thing is living. years ago i heard about a Dutch guy who was living the Igorot life style and he became an honorary filipino citizen due to this...I guess living this life needs no money but in that case he did it because he liked it and not because he had to. Not all of the expats are used to the lavish city life styles, some of them in their own country they were living in places with 200 residents and 400 bears.But yes in general one needs 1000$/month to have a comfy living.
hey there are only 5500 people up where i live & yes there are many bears so lock your door at night : )if you own a home your monthly costs will be much lessif you have to pay rent in the city exspect for your monthly outlay to be much moreme myself i am a country boy so i intend to buy a simple 2 story cement block house in the province for about 10,000 USi figure on having my father inlaw buy it & then he can sell it to his daughter "my wife" really cheepi don't even need to be on the deed for the land, but i mite have them put the building in my name piglett

piglett
Posted
Posted
Below is basically one of the condo types I am talking about for low money in that part of Florida.

This particular one is a 2/2 and on the lake.

• Price: $17,900
  • MLS/Source ID: M1461064
  • 2 Bedrooms
  • 2 Bathrooms
  • Apt/Condo/Twnhm
  • Parking: Assigned
  • Parking: Carport
  • Parking: Garage
  • Parking: Open
  • Rooms: 2
  • View: Lake
  • Porch
  • Waterfront
  • Floors: Carpet
  • Floors: Tile
  • Refrigerator
  • Range - Electric

And to answer your question units such as the one shown can be bought with a mortgage for much less than rent. The estimate payments were $105 plus the maint for at total of about $500 a month. Please note the real kitchen. Oh and I do know of round eyes who live full time in condos. Different strokes for different tastes. So while I do not dispute your living costs being much lower and I do not know what stores etc are around where you live, homes in Cebu usually cost even more than many homes in the US are now selling for.

It is not my desire to talk people out of moving to the PHL, it is just my wish to open their eyes to make sure they know what they will get for the lower price they wish to pay. I now have a number of friends who live in the PHL who are now struggling to live on their small pensions or Social Security, and some have to do without many things such as aircon to do so, since the costs have gone up and exchange rate has gone against them. So as with everything in life, let the buyer, or in this case maybe renter, beware, or maybe better to say be aware. :lol:

B U T is there any work ???if you can't even buy a job what good is a cheep condo inless you get a monthly check ???piglett

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
Below is basically one of the condo types I am talking about for low money in that part of Florida.

This particular one is a 2/2 and on the lake.

• Price: $17,900
  • MLS/Source ID: M1461064
  • 2 Bedrooms
  • 2 Bathrooms
  • Apt/Condo/Twnhm
  • Parking: Assigned
  • Parking: Carport
  • Parking: Garage
  • Parking: Open
  • Rooms: 2
  • View: Lake
  • Porch
  • Waterfront
  • Floors: Carpet
  • Floors: Tile
  • Refrigerator
  • Range - Electric

And to answer your question units such as the one shown can be bought with a mortgage for much less than rent. The estimate payments were $105 plus the maint for at total of about $500 a month. Please note the real kitchen. Oh and I do know of round eyes who live full time in condos. Different strokes for different tastes. So while I do not dispute your living costs being much lower and I do not know what stores etc are around where you live, homes in Cebu usually cost even more than many homes in the US are now selling for.

It is not my desire to talk people out of moving to the PHL, it is just my wish to open their eyes to make sure they know what they will get for the lower price they wish to pay. I now have a number of friends who live in the PHL who are now struggling to live on their small pensions or Social Security, and some have to do without many things such as aircon to do so, since the costs have gone up and exchange rate has gone against them. So as with everything in life, let the buyer, or in this case maybe renter, beware, or maybe better to say be aware. :yes:

B U T is there any work ???if you can't even buy a job what good is a cheep condo inless you get a monthly check ???piglett
Well many of us who live in or wish to live in the Philippines are already retired, and there is hardly any work in the Philippines as well, unless a person can work online or is willing to work for Filipino wages, but yes there is work to be had if a person is willing to work long hours and for low pay, sort of sounds like the Philippines. :lol: Anyway I do have a number of friends who have found work recently and the main problem is that the big stores and businesses most often hire part time help nowadays and a person would have to work at that for a while until they finally prove themselves, and then become full time, yet talented people are still in demand and the newspapers are full of jobs for those who are the tops in their field, or can prove their worth in a job application. I have been offered jobs many times paying $20 an hour and even jobs in the middle east paying very big bucks, but I am quite content being retired. I believe the main point of my post back when I wrote the above, was that it is almost as inexpensive or possibly less expensive to live in parts of the US than in parts of the Philippines and while many things are less expensive in the Philippines, home prices and condos do not seem to be some of those things, and other things such as electric in Florida is half the price it is in Cebu. So if one is retired, and one takes in the whole picture, then it might be better to think about just moving to other parts of the US rather than to the Philippines, that is if they already have health insurance or are of Medicare age.

Art2ro
Posted
Posted (edited)

th_thholysheep.gifWho knows! Maybe I just may go through a late late post mid life crisis, if there's such a thing and just return to the U.S. since it appears it's now doable and plus the fact, that I just hear or read so much bewildering comments about the Filipino culture on a constant basis, just makes my ears ring! Am I kidding about returning to the U.S.? Maybe not, but still contemplating about it! At least now, we have the option to do so, if we so choose to do so! As I said, who knows! SugarwareZ-034.gif kidding.gifSugarwareZ-037.gifth_hu.gifmocking.gif

Edited by Art2ro

No name
Posted
Posted
th_thholysheep.gifWho knows! Maybe I just may go through a late late post mid life crisis, if there's such a thing and just return to the U.S. since it appears it's now doable and plus the fact, that I just hear or read so much bewildering comments about the Filipino culture on a constant basis, just makes my ears ring! Am I kidding about returning to the U.S.? Maybe not, but still contemplating about it! At least now, we have the option to do so, if we so choose to do so! As I said, who knows! SugarwareZ-034.gif kidding.gifSugarwareZ-037.gifth_hu.gifmocking.gif
Hey Art2ro,There are a lot of negative things being said about the Philippines by expats. Then look around at all the white people living in the Philippines.I think Lee is one very awesome dude. But the idea that it cost more to live in the Philippines is beyond me.I booked a flight to Palawan this month. The cost? Less than $150 RT for TWO people! I just booked a four star hotel on the beach for four nights for $350. Do that in the USA. Fly down to a cheaper place, say the Ms Gulf coast where the water is so contaminated they have warning signs on the beach (well they did 20 years ago) and stay four nights with flight for $500. Heck, I'm freaking out about that.Find a place to live in the USA with four bedrooms a half mile from the beach for $270 a month. You can't even come close to doing. You'd pay thousands of dollars a month for a place like I'm living in in the USA though, it would have central air. I don't, heck, I don't even have central hot water, no big deal. I'm totally use to that now. Don't need it.Live without a car in most places in the USA? I can get a rid to the BBQ for P7. Then eat till I'm stuffed for P150.Last week I spent the night at Bantayan Island, it cost me less than $25 but I did get the room for free. The room would have added P1200 to the cost.I absolutely love living in the Philippines. If the awesome women are enough reason, the savings in my cost of living would cause me to stay anyway. The only thing holding me back is that I feel like crap most of the time but i'd feel the same way in the USA and I'd be feeling like crap alone and too freaking broke to stick my but out the door. And I can't go out the door without carrying my freaking sidearm.A lot of the negative expat talk comes from people that hang out in the bikini bars. NOT ALL but a lot. Yes, if you spend most of your time there, you'll end up with a very jaded view of the Philippines. I went to a strip club in Memphis one time. That was enough for me. Wasn't so great there either. Though, I did LOVE the ones I went to in Atlanta. LOL Very different atmosphere to the scams attempts I faced in a Memphis strip club.I don't get the negativity at all. I can do so much more here than I can if I was in the USA. You'll pay more for imports here but you can buy about 30 of the cheap knockoffs that work just as well, just not as long for the same price. Since I can buy 30, I still come out better. LOL Actually, I don't buy very much. Spending this money for the Palawan trip is hard. I haven't spent $500 on anything in three years. :)How you feel about the Philippines is between your own ears. Lots of people moaning about the Philippines, yet they stay. Lee? Well, he goes back to the States after he's had all he can take. LOL Hey, that's cool. It isn't for everyone. For me, it was the best choice I have ever made.

Jake
Posted
Posted
Hey Art2ro,There are a lot of negative things being said about the Philippines by expats. Then look around at all the white people living in the Philippines.I think Lee is one very awesome dude. But the idea that it cost more to live in the Philippines is beyond me.I booked a flight to Palawan this month. The cost? Less than $150 RT for TWO people! I just booked a four star hotel on the beach for four nights for $350. Do that in the USA. Fly down to a cheaper place, say the Ms Gulf coast where the water is so contaminated they have warning signs on the beach (well they did 20 years ago) and stay four nights with flight for $500. Heck, I'm freaking out about that.Find a place to live in the USA with four bedrooms a half mile from the beach for $270 a month. You can't even come close to doing. You'd pay thousands of dollars a month for a place like I'm living in in the USA though, it would have central air. I don't, heck, I don't even have central hot water, no big deal. I'm totally use to that now. Don't need it.Live without a car in most places in the USA? I can get a rid to the BBQ for P7. Then eat till I'm stuffed for P150.Last week I spent the night at Bantayan Island, it cost me less than $25 but I did get the room for free. The room would have added P1200 to the cost.I absolutely love living in the Philippines. If the awesome women are enough reason, the savings in my cost of living would cause me to stay anyway. The only thing holding me back is that I feel like crap most of the time but i'd feel the same way in the USA and I'd be feeling like crap alone and too freaking broke to stick my but out the door. And I can't go out the door without carrying my freaking sidearm.A lot of the negative expat talk comes from people that hang out in the bikini bars. NOT ALL but a lot. Yes, if you spend most of your time there, you'll end up with a very jaded view of the Philippines. I went to a strip club in Memphis one time. That was enough for me. Wasn't so great there either. Though, I did LOVE the ones I went to in Atlanta. LOL Very different atmosphere to the scams attempts I faced in a Memphis strip club.I don't get the negativity at all. I can do so much more here than I can if I was in the USA. You'll pay more for imports here but you can buy about 30 of the cheap knockoffs that work just as well, just not as long for the same price. Since I can buy 30, I still come out better. LOL Actually, I don't buy very much. Spending this money for the Palawan trip is hard. I haven't spent $500 on anything in three years. :)How you feel about the Philippines is between your own ears. Lots of people moaning about the Philippines, yet they stay. Lee? Well, he goes back to the States after he's had all he can take. LOL Hey, that's cool. It isn't for everyone. For me, it was the best choice I have ever made.
What's up Rusty? Boy, I really envy you discovering more of the tropical paradise. A long time ago, I had a chance to visit Puerto Princessa, Palawan and was not impressed. However, whenever I get there, a trip to Bantayan Island (north of Cebu Island) would be most enticing.Indeed, the cost of travelling around PI is very reasonable and most beach resorts offering a million dollar view is well within the budget minded traveler. I can imagine just lounging in my private white sand cove, with aqua blue waters, drinking cold beer and watching hot women. And if you get hungry, you could summon a nearby fisherman, have it cooked in front of you as you grab another cold one. I am glad that you're up and about, enjoying life to the fullest.Respectfully -- Jake