Bringing My Laptop

volstateguy
Posted
Posted

Do you think it would be safe to bring my laptop when I visit Cebu. It's lightweight and easy to travel with. I'm staying at Rajah Park Hotel and according to their website they have wireless connection. What I'm concerned about is my laptop "walking off" :SugarwareZ-015: on its own. It will be convenient having it there so I can keep up with email and all, but not at the cost of returning home without it. Thanks

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
Do you think it would be safe to bring my laptop when I visit Cebu. It's lightweight and easy to travel with. I'm staying at Rajah Park Hotel and according to their website they have wireless connection. What I'm concerned about is my laptop "walking off" :SugarwareZ-015: on its own. It will be convenient having it there so I can keep up with email and all, but not at the cost of returning home without it. Thanks
I always traveled with mine and stayed at different hotels and pension house all over the Philippines and never had a problem, but just to be safe, I carried it into the hotel in my suitcase so not one knew I had it, and I always locked it in my suitcase when we left the room, but I know others who have just left theirs around the room and never had any problems. I guess it is just like traveling to any country, it can get stolen but it is unlikely. Play it safe and lock it in a suitcase to be sure. You really do not need your laptop because there are Internet cafes all over Cebu, so if all you are going to be doing is checking your email or checking into the forum, then you would be safe, if you intend to pay bills or credit cards, then you might want to bring your own, but even that is not totally safe on an open wireless router.

tom_shor
Posted
Posted (edited)

Unless you really need it for something you might consider leaving it at home. If you just want to check e-mail internet cafes are plentyful and cheap. Thus no risk of your computer scittering away. Many people do bring them and have no trouble but if this is your first visit it's just one less thing to worry about.Also be aware that upon rentry to the US Customs now sometimes keeps computers for examination. Sometimes up to several weeks. I don't know if this is a frequent occurance or not but something else to be aware of. One more pothole in the road to freedom.

Edited by tom_shor

Markham
Posted
Posted (edited)
Also be aware that upon rentry to the US Customs now sometimes keeps computers for examination. Sometimes up to several weeks. I don't know if this is a frequent occurance or not but something else to be aware of. One more pothole in the road to freedom.
That's quite true but the OP is from Germany, a country that's not nearly as paranoid about what its citizens might have stored on their notebook harddrives, USB "sticks" etc. ;)Mark Edited by Markham

johnrxx99
Posted
Posted

To be perfectly honest I'm no more concerned with bringing my laptop to the Phils than I would to France or UK, indeed probably less so. However, room security is always essential. Always check your room door to see if it has been forced in the past and locks well. Whether the windows/balcony has east access and again signs of forced entry. I always carry a spare padlock as some less salubrious hotels have external clasps.Observe reception and get to know how it works and introduce yourself to staff on your floor, a few tips help but no more than 20peso. Just be smart, don't rush and enjoy yourself.As has been mentioned, unless you have need to use bespoke software on your laptop and need to update daily, which I do, I wouldn't bother. Most hotels have pc's and some are free. Alternatively you'll find a cafe within walking distance where ever you are, in a city that is.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
I know that when I return my lap top will be coming with me,I know others here say that there are plenty of Internet caf

tom_shor
Posted
Posted
Also be aware that upon rentry to the US Customs now sometimes keeps computers for examination. Sometimes up to several weeks. I don't know if this is a frequent occurance or not but something else to be aware of. One more pothole in the road to freedom.
That's quite true but the OP is from Germany, a country that's not nearly as paranoid about what its citizens might have stored on their notebook harddrives, USB "sticks" etc. ;)Mark
I thought I saw Florida I guess I looked back up at Lee's post instead. My previous reasons still stand. Many people bring their laptops with little or no trouble but if you just need it for e-mail it's one less thing to worry about. Besides there are pretty girls in the internet cafe's. :(