Electrical Back Up Generator?

billten
Posted
Posted

Not so sure what the plug is called, but i think its specific to generators as i had to buy one as a replacement and they are over p700 a time. I got mine at a local hardware store that is VERY well stocked and sells generators. They had them and they were in the range of p700 - p3200 FOR A DAMN PLUG!!!

FlyAway
Posted
Posted
Not so sure what the plug is called, but i think its specific to generators as i had to buy one as a replacement and they are over p700 a time. I got mine at a local hardware store that is VERY well stocked and sells generators. They had them and they were in the range of p700 - p3200 FOR A DAMN PLUG!!!
TurnLok plug. I wired some of these for a dog groomers hair dryers. $12 for the males from Home Depot.More things for me to pack in the balikbayan boxes. :thumbsup:What are you guys paying for generators there in Philippines? I have been thinking of stuffing one in a large balikbayan box. Most everything in the house there is running 110v anyway.
  • Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
I think I have a couple on my work truck. I can mail it to you. (how long does that take?) It's just a twist lock plug.
Thanks very much for the offer. I would take you up on that but you will see from the rest of my response here that I don't think they will fit. :cheersty:
Not so sure what the plug is called, but i think its specific to generators as i had to buy one as a replacement and they are over p700 a time
These are the plugs I purchased. They cost me 720 each (I bought 2) and they are called TURNLOK plugs (by Pass & Seymour) just as FlyAway said. But they do not fit. I will try to bend and butcher the prongs to see if I can force them. If I don't report back its because I electrocuted myself. :attention:
TurnLok plug
This is what I bought. Unfortunately they don't quite fit:post-41-0-38860500-1330220628_thumb.jpg Note the piece I have circled in red. It is just a tad big for my socket. Then note the prongs themselves. They are just a couple milimeters too close together to fit in the socket. Here are the 2 pics to show just how close they are . . but no cigar.index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=4076
What are you guys paying for generators there in Philippines?
The prices are all over the map. From under 10K pesos for a cheap, low powered Chinese gen to run a light and fan to 90K for a Honda gen big enough to run most of your house. And then there are the industrial sized ones. My second hand gen was 25K pesos but would have been 40K new.

FlyAway
Posted
Posted

Bummer about the plugs. Guess the Chinese are not 100% on the copy abilities.Thanks for the info on the generator prices.

Tatoosh
Posted
Posted

Are you in Cebu? My brother-in-law is passing through there tomorrow on his way to Manila next week. He is a registered Master Electrician with a 3 year Associates Degree in electrical engineering. He can probably sort it out. He's wired homes and apartments for expats before. After next week he'll probably be heading overseas.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Not close to Cebu. Thanks for the thought but I am an all night ferry trip from there.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Looks like the plug comes apart so should be able to modify it, good luck, don't forget your will, is it updated?

i am bob
Posted
Posted

By the looks of things, either one or the other plug is incorrect - size, manufacture, etc. Obvious everyone is saying.. (duck bob) Sooooo..... Why not have an electrician pop the cover off, run a cable off (in parallel) to and attach a box to the cover with a socket that will fit? It's a quick job, anyone with electrical experience can do it (just a bit more than light bulb experience that is) in just a few minutes and will cure your problem? Just use only one outlet at a time if you happen to eventually find a plug that fits the original socket... :tiphat:And yes! This was mentioned above by someone else as well! Just thought I would reiterate the easy way!

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)

It can be done, Bob. It may have to be done. I am just stubborn and I want to make that round peg fit in that square hole.It can be hard to find an electrician in a rural area who is worthy of that title. You will be surprised, when you get here, at some of the stuff they do. Actually you will be 'shocked' at some of the the stuff they do (har har)But it will get done as soon as I get:RT+1.jpg(My 'tools' for the reply options have disappeared. Don't know if it is my computer of the site but not sure if this will insert the image)Edit note: My reply options with Google Chrome are all screwed up but I tuned in with Firefox and edited no problem. Strange

Edited by Dave Hounddriver
  • Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)

DUH!!!!I am SUCH an idiot. I took the plug I had purchased to a retired electrician from the US who took one look at it and said:"No wonder it does not fit. You are trying to fit a 15 amp TURNLOK plug into a 30 amp socket."I was sure I had looked at the amps on the plug to be sure it was rated for 30 amps and 250 volts. Turns out I missed that part. So now I know what I need and it still looks similar. Here is a pic:http://www.legrand.us/wiring-devices/turnlok-devices/~/media/7A0BC93138434826ADF12308B36905AB.ashx?bc=White&as=1&dmc=0&h=400&w=370If anyone sees such an item in a Philippine store, please ask for the contact info and I will ask them if they can ship it to me via LBC. I am told I can get it in Tacloban or Cebu but the trip for me to go there is more than the cost of the courier.

Edited by Dave Hounddriver