Corruption Good Or Bad How Has It Affected You?

No name
Posted
Posted
Hmmmm.... you sayin maybe I'm still single? Rusty, you the MAN!
Haha...... Well, maybe but if so you're also a criminal. :)One of the reasons people can be barred from entering the Philippines is if they are found to be practicing or a proponent of polygamy. Besides, even if you're not married she's still entitled to half. A quickie Guam divorce could likely get around that though..You probably already know this but some of the quite folks hanging around might not.Me, I like the line by Mark Twain, it goes SOMETHING like "I want a good wife, if she is particularly good, I want two of them."Only in jest you see, otherwise I could run into trouble with the law. :)

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
Hmmmm.... you sayin maybe I'm still single? Rusty, you the MAN!
Haha...... Well, maybe but if so you're also a criminal. :)One of the reasons people can be barred from entering the Philippines is if they are found to be practicing or a proponent of polygamy. Besides, even if you're not married she's still entitled to half. A quickie Guam divorce could likely get around that though..You probably already know this but some of the quite folks hanging around might not.Me, I like the line by Mark Twain, it goes SOMETHING like "I want a good wife, if she is particularly good, I want two of them."Only in jest you see, otherwise I could run into trouble with the law. :)
Yea, all fun aside I am very happily and legitimately married.

No name
Posted
Posted
A friend of mine has a saying....."I like a corrupt system as long as I can afford to buy my way through it."
I love this. I'm going to steal it. haha

joeatmanila
Posted
Posted

Corruption...you cannot fight it so better go with it and careful how you handle situations.Personaly i find it very convinient and have never been annoyed from it even in situations where i lost, i knew i would loose even if i was right. Lesson learned do not take risks involving people with connections, big social network, public power (police, attorneys etc) or money more than you!!!

ekimswish
Posted
Posted

Sometimes it's corruption and sometimes it's lazy incompetance. A friend of mine (really, this one isn't me) was driving a scooter in Taiwan with a can of beer. The police stopped him and told him he can't drink and drive. He was waiting for what was next. They were waiting for him, then finally said, "Quick! Finish it." (or whatever broken English / body language they could muster). Shocked, he proceeded to down the can of beer in front of them, on the road, beside his scooter, and then they let him drive away! lol... Personally I was stopped at least 5 times by police in Taiwan driving a scooter with no license and/or drunk and/or having gone through several red lights, and never had anything worse than, "Grab a taxi and get your bike tomorrow." Usually it was just to get on my way and don't do it again. That was all 6~8 years ago.As for the Philippines, a friend of mine has had to pay his way to the front of the line at immigration, bribe his wife into another Asian country at their representative office in Manila (even though all the paper work was prepared by them and legit), and pay to skip the waiting period for marriage. In fact, he was hardly aware he was paying to skip the waiting period. The municipal hall worker almost had him convinced this was a legit formality. Very crafty. Another friend was busted teaching English in Taiwan without a work permit. The police came into his classroom with cameras flashing and took him and the boss to the station. Nothing happened to the teacher. The boss, however, apparently had to pay off the local police captain upwards of $12,000 to keep his school's license. The teacher's hours were cut back on. I would love to take credit for these and boost my street cred, but it's just not in me to lie about these things.

ekimswish
Posted
Posted

Slightly off topic, and slightly on, this story really made me mad at Canada for trying to prevent Taiwan from following its laws for once.When flying into Taiwan a few years ago, you had to sign a customs card acknowledging that smuggling drugs into the country is punishable by death. Everyone signed it and knew it. So there was a Canadian English teacher selling English textbooks online shipped over from Vancouver, only the books had a hole cut into them for cocaine. My friend actually knew his roommate. He was busted by the police while having a coc-party, and the roommate said the police had been investigating him for at least a couple months. The rumor was he refused to cooperate with the local crime syndicates, hence the crackdown. Still, it's a bust. Police arrested a drug dealer, regardless of the motive for it. At first they were recommending the dealth penalty for him, but the Canadian media got a hold of this and started ringing Taiwan out like it was a 3rd World country with an incompetant justice system. They then recommended life in prison, but even that was too much for holier than thou Canada to accept. In the end he got off with 15 years, I believe. What pisses me off about it is that I didn't and wouldn't sell drugs there because I knew the apparent consequences, or I thought I did, not that I would have. But NIgerians and fellow non-1stWorld-whites are routinely given the death penalty for the same thing. I thought he should've got it. Who knows.... maybe corruption got him out of it. I'm still embarrassed that Canada scolded poor little Taiwan over corruption THE ONE TIME they're actually tryinig to follow their laws.

Rudderless
Posted
Posted
What pisses me off about it is that I didn't and wouldn't sell drugs there because I knew the apparent consequences, or I thought I did, not that I would have. But NIgerians and fellow non-1stWorld-whites are routinely given the death penalty for the same thing. I thought he should've got it. Who knows.... maybe corruption got him out of it. I'm still embarrassed that Canada scolded poor little Taiwan over corruption THE ONE TIME they're actually tryinig to follow their laws.
I wouldn't say he didn't get what he deserved though. The next 15 years is gonna be a bitch! That is enough of a deterrent for most.Rudderless