Filipinas Hissing At You

jode
Posted
Posted

The only time I recall hearing the hiss i think he is describing is when riding in taxis. The driver will give a hiss when some other driver has violated the unknown rules which allow the incredible traffic to somehow sort itself out without traffic signs or signals. I guess it is a sign of disapproval. IT IS SLIGHTLY DIFFERANT THAN THE PSTT SOUND TO GET SOMEONES ATTENTION.

gottawannalive
Posted
Posted

Both the hissing and two fingers to the forearm came over from Spain. Both are ordinarily seen in Spanish speaking countries.

• Like 3

Mike S
Posted
Posted
The only time I recall hearing the hiss i think he is describing is when riding in taxis. The driver will give a hiss when some other driver has violated the unknown rules which allow the incredible traffic to somehow sort itself out without traffic signs or signals. I guess it is a sign of disapproval. IT IS SLIGHTLY DIFFERANT THAN THE PSTT SOUND TO GET SOMEONES ATTENTION.
Most of the taxi drivers I have heard get annoyed will give a clucking sucking sound like you do when you shake your head and click your tongue in disapproval ..... and I do that ... mine sounds a little different that theirs cause in ain't in Tagalog ...... :36_6_3[1]: ..... but it gets it's point across .... the pssssssssting sounds is a bit different ..... but I would rather be psssssssted at than have some one holler ... "hey Yo" ...... what the hell is a Yo ...... or better ..... "Yo Dog" ...... I ain't your yo and I sure ain't you dog ...... :mocking: ...... even Hey Joe .... sounds a lot better .... :whistling: :)
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...
rocheg
Posted
Posted

That brought back memories. Here in Ireland up to the 1970's the older folk used to do the psssst all the time. It was meant to get your attention but done very quietly. Us Irish don't do it anymore, another quaint custom lost to the modern politically correct age.

• Like 3

Ashanti
Posted
Posted

You know I really find this an amusing thread. ive lived in uk far longer now than I lived in PI that I kind of forget this pssting habit. I had never done the pssting since I came over to UK for the simple reason that it is just not done. However, Ive done a faux pas equivalent to pssting on my first few years in UK.

My husband and I usually do the weekly shopping together though he doesn’t often join me in my aisle to aisle inspection (lol) but wait at the nearby benches at the checkout to bag the groceries. One time he was reading the paper while waiting for me to be serve at the till and had forgotten to keep an eye how im I doing at the queue. It so happens that the bench he was sitting was a fair distance from the till I was queuing at. I had finished unloading my shopping at the checkout but he was still was busy reading the paper. So what I did, instead of making the pssting sound to catch his attention, I CLAPPED my hands :hystery:

My husband looked up, saw me clapping my hands at him, came over, holding his hands infront of him, head bowed sideways and asked me if he could have a bone :rolleyes: . I just looked at him with a puzzled look as I was already busy starting the bagging that I didn’t even notice the smiles of other shoppers at my husband’s sarcasm.

:mocking: :hystery:

• Like 5

Mike S
Posted
Posted (edited)

:hystery: :hystery: :hystery: ... now that is amazing ... the clapping of the hands ..... I swear not more than 2 hours ago while we were eating lunch the children (well not really as they are mid twenties but act like children) next door started squealing .. giggling and clapping their hands like school girls ... my asawa got up went to the window and clapped hers (louder than theirs) ..... hummmmm ... they shut right up ..... :hystery: :hystery: ..... as they are Cebuano's it must be a regional thing ........ :mocking: :tiphat:

Oh I also liked your story ..... I pssssst my asawa only once in a store ... ACE .... the first and only time she told me she didn't like something I did :bash: ..... so now I just hollar "HEY YOU" ..... much more gentile ...... :hystery: :hystery:

Edited by Mike S
  • Like 2

GregZ
Posted
Posted

The psssst is also used a LOT by the bikes with the sidecars; it is their horn. Pretty effective I think... so I don't get run over. :bash:

Now the fingers on the forearm thing (TOLD TO ME BY MY GIRL) means she "wants" me. I like her version. :tiphat:

• Like 2

Jake
Posted
Posted

The psssst is also used a LOT by the bikes with the sidecars; it is their horn. Pretty effective I think... so I don't get run over. :bash:

Now the fingers on the forearm thing (TOLD TO ME BY MY GIRL) means she "wants" me. I like her version. :tiphat:

Hmmm.....very interesting indeed! I guess the culture of the modern day woman has changed to reflect

their affirmative action to get right to the point. No more beating around the bush.....he, he.

Speaking of which (bush)......you ever wonder why it is mechanically shaped that way. My good friend

and neighbor (a formal NBI agent and attorney) explained that the vertical slot was designed to accept

all credit cards and is self lubricating!

OK guys and girls -- the question of the day is how to enter your pin number? I believe I'm still on track

of the OP (Hissing). If you enter the wrong numbers, would it start hissing like a snake at you??

Yeah, my mind is in the gutter this morning -- DOM forever, Jake

• Like 5

nor cal mike
Posted
Posted
what does it mean when you tap two fingers on your forearm? (hint -- do notshow this body language to any females).Jake

I believe it is a beckoning call for a delightful evening.

• Like 2