What's Some Of The Craziest Wildlife In The Philippines

Inspector
Posted
Posted
I’ve done quite a bit of SCUBA diving in Leyte and a bit off Mactan. There are a number of very deadly guys underwater you have to take care what you step on. Stone fish and the Textile conch and another whose name I forget will kill in a few minutes not fooling around with those guys. Box jelly fish and Portuguese Man O War are a rare threat but the little venomous Blue Ringed Octopus is safe unless you handle it carelessly then it too is very deadly. I always wore a full suit and quality heavy soled booties.Hands down the most deadly thing found in Philippines are Filipinas. Interesting no one mentioned the “F-U” lizard. Early morning out in the boonies me trying to sleep… F-U, cacadoodle-do, F-U, cacadoodle-do.
:lol:

Jim Sibbick
Posted
Posted

Small cobra slithered across the grass in front of where we were drinking in Albuera Leyte.Nearly every time I visited my friend in Albuera, he would tell me that another person had died from a cobra bite.Mostly the cobras bit children playing by the river and by the time they got to hospital in Ormoc City, it was too late..Regards: Jim

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
Small cobra slithered across the grass in front of where we were drinking in Albuera Leyte.Nearly every time I visited my friend in Albuera, he would tell me that another person had died from a cobra bite.Mostly the cobras bit children playing by the river and by the time they got to hospital in Ormoc City, it was too late..Regards: Jim
It seems so common that it doesn't even make the news. The following 'news' is passed from my wife's sister to her to me so it is anecdotal. On Monday of this week a mother of 3 was picking bananas in Matango, a barangay of Almeria, Biliran. A snake bit her on her lower leg area. It is believed to be a cobra. She did not go to hospital for a half hour or more because she said she was ok. When she was eventually taken to Naval hospital, half an hour drive away, she was dead on arrival. The town of Almeria is providing a coffin. The 3 young children are with their father, a carpenter.And this is the place I am planning to move to, gawd I'm wondering about my sanity. But its ok, my wife says, because that house was on the edge of the barangay, near the jungle.1%20(103).gif

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
It seems so common that it doesn't even make the news. The following 'news' is passed from my wife's sister to her to me so it is anecdotal. On Monday of this week a mother of 3 was picking bananas in Matango, a barangay of Almeria, Biliran. A snake bit her on her lower leg area. It is believed to be a cobra. She did not go to hospital for a half hour or more because she said she was ok. When she was eventually taken to Naval hospital, half an hour drive away, she was dead on arrival. The town of Almeria is providing a coffin. The 3 young children are with their father, a carpenter.And this is the place I am planning to move to, gawd I'm wondering about my sanity. But its ok, my wife says, because that house was on the edge of the barangay, near the jungle.1%20(103).gif
You might want to think twice about moving there. th_exactly.gif My wife got stung by a scorpion once many years ago in Mindanao, and they are said to be common there, and many people seem to get stung, but at least they do not usually dies from the it. So I guess in the city all we have to do is look out for rats. I did see one running around down the street near our condo building, so I know they are around, and probably carry rabies.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
I really dont see the big deal,a snake wont normally go out of its way to bite anyone,in my time here in Australia I have seen many snakes and one stood up at me but the thing is you wont see anywhere near the amount that are really around you.Unless you are a threat or standing on or chasing a snake it will all most certainly be trying to avoid you.The tiger snake here is one that will bite many times if provoked or cornered,it will also chase you if you are a threat to its nest but generally if you leave them alone they will leave you alone.If you have to walk in long grass,long pants and boots are the way to go,caution when moving things like sheets of iron laying on the ground or removing foliage.We must consider that we are in their habitat so be wary but not alarmed as you go about your normal life.

ekimswish
Posted
Posted

People say there are lots of snakes and some cobras around where we live. I've seen one snake, and it was big, but I couldn't see if it was a cobra or not. My brother in law said the cobras there are black on the back and yellow on the belly. I could just see this was black on the back. We cut down a lot of trees behind our house to use for construction, but also to keep it free of snakes. We're going to try and make it into a proper backyard with grass, but I don't know what to expect. I saw a baby scorpion in my kitchen last week behind the sugar. It was so tiny you could barely tell what it was. One of our pigs got bitten by something once and was dieing, so we killed it and sold the meat when the butcher said it was okay. They all thought a centipede did it.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
People say there are lots of snakes and some cobras around where we live. I've seen one snake, and it was big, but I couldn't see if it was a cobra or not. My brother in law said the cobras there are black on the back and yellow on the belly. I could just see this was black on the back. We cut down a lot of trees behind our house to use for construction, but also to keep it free of snakes. We're going to try and make it into a proper backyard with grass, but I don't know what to expect. I saw a baby scorpion in my kitchen last week behind the sugar. It was so tiny you could barely tell what it was. One of our pigs got bitten by something once and was dieing, so we killed it and sold the meat when the butcher said it was okay. They all thought a centipede did it.
I dont think a centipede would a kill a fly,for a human at the most would be a sting and a bit of swelling where the bite took place so my guess it would be the same for a pig.89.gif

MikeB
Posted
Posted

Snakes are a vital and critical part of the ecosystem; they help control mice, rats, and other vermin and have their own predators. They're an important part of the balance of nature. I hate to see them unnecessarily killed. I see them frequently, especially Cottonmouths, which are venomous, so-called because they're very dark but have a white mouth which they open to display fangs when threatened. Most snake bites are due to harassment, if you leave them alone or don't accidently step on them you're 95% ok. Especially in an overpopulated country like the Philippines, these encounters are inevitable.

Jake
Posted
Posted (edited)
Snakes are a vital and critical part of the ecosystem; they help control mice, rats, and other vermin and have their own predators. They're an important part of the balance of nature. I hate to see them unnecessarily killed. I see them frequently, especially Cottonmouths, which are venomous, so-called because they're very dark but have a white mouth which they open to display fangs when threatened. Most snake bites are due to harassment, if you leave them alone or don't accidently step on them you're 95% ok. Especially in an overpopulated country like the Philippines, these encounters are inevitable.
Excellent point MikeB! Mother Nature placed these creatures to balance out the ecosystem. Even flies and vultureshave an important role in life. It is modern man that upsets that balance. In fact, I'm more concerned with the "twolegged snakes" than anything else.Respectfully -- Jake Edited by Jake
correcting my Eglesh agin

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Admittedly, I have a moderate phobia about snakes. It has been developed by years of living in an area where there are no snakes for most of my adult life. So I am not accustomed to hearing of neighbors dying from cobra bites.However I am used to hearing of neighbors being torn apart by bears so I can only hope I learn to live with snakes as I did with bears. (Starts thinking of Kipling, Kaa, Baloo, feels like Mowgli and wonders where the heck is Shere Khan in all this)