What's Some Of The Craziest Wildlife In The Philippines

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
I dont think a centipede would a kill a fly,for a human at the most would be a sting and a bit of swelling where the bite took place so my guess it would be the same for a pig.89.gif
Many filipinas are more afraid of centipedes than of snakes. As far as I can figure, here is why:The Vietnamese Centipede is the only species that has a human death attributed to it. The only reported fatal case was in the Philippines; the centipede bit a seven-year old girl on her head, and she lived for another 29 hours. Even though death from a bite of the Vietnamese Centipede is almost unheard of, the venom is said to cause extreme pain, therefore you want to exercise care with this centipede. Overall, the Vietnamese Centipede is a species that you won't get bored of.
  • Like 1

Art2ro
Posted
Posted

This one has to be the wildest and craziest wildlife anywhere!click on the YouTube link below and decide for yourself! It may be considered X rated!

• 4 months later...
Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

I really dont see the big deal,a snake wont normally go out of its way to bite anyone,
It seems the property I live on has a lot of cobras, lucky me. Yesterday the neighbor was chopping wood. He sat on the wood pile for a rest and something bit his ass, not breaking through the clothing. It must have been a warning 'nip' because he turned around and there was a 4 to 5 foot cobra in the wood pile. He killed it by beating it to death with a long stick so he could stay out of its reach. My wife watched the whole thing and told me of the snake trying to strike and of its neck getting 'hooded'. I was happy not to watch and happier that the thing is dead. It seems that some of the neighbors use a fishnet type fence to try to stop the cobras from coming on to their land. I doubt that works. I was also told of the previous tenant who's dog died from a cobra bite and who had to kill one that got into the house.So it seems like a big deal to me but I'm not an Aussie. whistling.gif

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
I really dont see the big deal,a snake wont normally go out of its way to bite anyone,
It seems the property I live on has a lot of cobras, lucky me. Yesterday the neighbor was chopping wood. He sat on the wood pile for a rest and something bit his ass, not breaking through the clothing. It must have been a warning 'nip' because he turned around and there was a 4 to 5 foot cobra in the wood pile. He killed it by beating it to death with a long stick so he could stay out of its reach. My wife watched the whole thing and told me of the snake trying to strike and of its neck getting 'hooded'. I was happy not to watch and happier that the thing is dead. It seems that some of the neighbors use a fishnet type fence to try to stop the cobras from coming on to their land. I doubt that works. I was also told of the previous tenant who's dog died from a cobra bite and who had to kill one that got into the house. So it seems like a big deal to me but I'm not an Aussie. whistling.gif
I am no snake expert but have never heard of a snake giving a warning bite,a snake is only defending its self when it feels threatened and maybe the guy almost sat on it.The thing is Dave,you probably pass many snakes every day but will never know about it.One method I read about once was a layer of about two meters wide sharp stones like they use in concrete around the perimeter fence as the snakes do not like sliding over it,might keep them out or in if already in.I wonder how many deadly spiders live in the Philippines,no big deal for me but I'm not Canadian. whistling.gif

Candyman
Posted
Posted (edited)
It seems the property I live on has a lot of cobras, lucky me. Yesterday the neighbor was chopping wood. He sat on the wood pile for a rest and something bit his ass, not breaking through the clothing. It must have been a warning 'nip' because he turned around and there was a 4 to 5 foot cobra in the wood pile. He killed it by beating it to death with a long stick so he could stay out of its reach. My wife watched the whole thing and told me of the snake trying to strike and of its neck getting 'hooded'. I was happy not to watch and happier that the thing is dead. It seems that some of the neighbors use a fishnet type fence to try to stop the cobras from coming on to their land. I doubt that works. I was also told of the previous tenant who's dog died from a cobra bite and who had to kill one that got into the house. So it seems like a big deal to me but I'm not an Aussie. whistling.gif
I am no snake expert but have never heard of a snake giving a warning bite,a snake is only defending its self when it feels threatened and maybe the guy almost sat on it.The thing is Dave,you probably pass many snakes every day but will never know about it.One method I read about once was a layer of about two meters wide sharp stones like they use in concrete around the perimeter fence as the snakes do not like sliding over it,might keep them out or in if already in.I wonder how many deadly spiders live in the Philippines,no big deal for me but I'm not Canadian. whistling.gif
I don't know how this will work on snakes in the Philippines, but apparently it works on common snakes in Australia, like Browns, King Browns, and Red bellied Black snakes ! My late father always used to swear by "baiting them", with a saucer of milk, in which was dissolved a couple of Aspros. (Aspirin, or its chemical derivatives). He often used to tell me of a snake infested property he used to live at, just after him and Mum got married, and someone had told him about it, and he poo pooed the idea, until he actually tried it himself, and he swore blind that it worked, so if it works on Aussie snakes, surely it's worth a try on Philippine snakes?The only trouble with it there that I can see, is keeping the "bait" away from curious kids ! Apparently the same concoction also works on "Feral Cats" ! Edited by Candyman

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
. . . My late father always used to swear by "baiting them", with a saucer of milk, in which was dissolved a couple of Aspros. (Aspirin, or its chemical derivatives). He often used to tell me of a snake infested property he used to live at, just after him and Mum got married, and someone had told him about it, and he poo pooed the idea, until he actually tried it himself, and he swore blind that it worked, so if it works on Aussie snakes, surely it's worth a try on Philippine snakes?The only trouble with it there that I can see, is keeping the "bait" away from curious kids ! Apparently the same concoction also works on "Feral Cats" !
An interesting read but I can't understand what good it will do to give the snakes a couple of aspirins. Sounds like a joke . . if you cure their head ache then they won't bite you?I did a bit of reading and found out that the Philippine Cobra ranks as one of the top 5 or top 10 (depending on site) world's most deadly snakes. It can kill within a half hour of its bite and can blind you by spitting venom into your eye. But about 1/3 of bites are non venom bites. These must be the warning bites? Anyway, it seems there is a cobra spotted about once a month around my property so maybe 'infested' is too strong. Interestingly, the day after the cobra was killed was the first day I had a rat trying to get into my house so I guess the snake was doing its job.

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Once a month is more than I could ever deal with Dave!

brock
Posted
Posted

I have often wondered about the warm waters of the Philippines, Does anybody know of any shark attacks, ?

gapotwo
Posted
Posted
I have often wondered about the warm waters of the Philippines, Does anybody know of any shark attacks, ?
Shark attacks? I thought that only happens to people that dont pay back the money lenders. :SugarwareZ-037: anyway to me , the craziest wildlife ive ever encountered was the pinay girls we used to party with in olongapo and subic. some crazy times and wild ways of life.:) :rolleyes: tanks ej.

Gary
Posted
Posted
It seems the property I live on has a lot of cobras, lucky me. Yesterday the neighbor was chopping wood. He sat on the wood pile for a rest and something bit his ass, not breaking through the clothing. It must have been a warning 'nip' because he turned around and there was a 4 to 5 foot cobra in the wood pile. He killed it by beating it to death with a long stick so he could stay out of its reach. My wife watched the whole thing and told me of the snake trying to strike and of its neck getting 'hooded'. I was happy not to watch and happier that the thing is dead. It seems that some of the neighbors use a fishnet type fence to try to stop the cobras from coming on to their land. I doubt that works. I was also told of the previous tenant who's dog died from a cobra bite and who had to kill one that got into the house.So it seems like a big deal to me but I'm not an Aussie. whistling.gif
I don't know how this will work on snakes in the Philippines, but apparently it works on common snakes in Australia, like Browns, King Browns, and Red bellied Black snakes ! My late father always used to swear by "baiting them", with a saucer of milk, in which was dissolved a couple of Aspros. (Aspirin, or its chemical derivatives). He often used to tell me of a snake infested property he used to live at, just after him and Mum got married, and someone had told him about it, and he poo pooed the idea, until he actually tried it himself, and he swore blind that it worked, so if it works on Aussie snakes, surely it's worth a try on Philippine snakes?The only trouble with it there that I can see, is keeping the "bait" away from curious kids ! Apparently the same concoction also works on "Feral Cats" !
Human Aspirin is Deadly to cats and dogs, and maybe snakes too?