Would You Live Here Without Air Conditioning?

Would you live here without air conditioning?   

52 members have voted

1. 1. Would you live here without air conditioning?

4thDan
Posted
Posted

I've been here since May and I have yet to install an A/C unit. I have two floor fans, one for the bedroom and one for the sala and we usually only run one of those at a time. Yes it gets hot, but going in and out of the A/C seems to make the hot seem hotter. Give yourself a chance and you can get used to it. My Pinay wife complains more about the heat than I do. Oh and I moved here from the Ill/Wisc border so i'm well used to snow butt deep and watching the thermo gauge drop below zero. As was said in the movie "waterboy"....."you can do it...."

Art2ro
Posted
Posted

It's a majority consensus that air conditioning is a must have in the Philippines, except in Baguio where it snows sometimes once in a blue moon! mocking.gif Just got our Meralco billing statement for February, P4,922! Wow! That's the lowest it has ever been in years, just can't remember last when it was that low! 23_11_60[2].gif 23_11_59[1].gifAddEmoticons04230.gif

Jim Sibbick
Posted
Posted

Several years ago, I used to live at the Cebu Century Hotel in a family room with 2 Filipinas. They would always complain about the aircon and turn it off at night.One of them was visiting Cebu from Dubai with her Filipino husband in December and we shared the same family room at the Cebu Century Hotel. I thought to myself, thisis perfect now. I don't use the aircon anymore so we will all be happy! She insisted on having the aircon on because she was hot and I was the one who was freezing.Regards; Jim

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
Brucewayne
Posted
Posted

Dave, you're such a wussy! (insert Lol here)I used to sit in air conditioning, but found that it made my sinuses dry and my throat hurt.I use 2 small fans when on the computer now, on is a 6 inch desktop and the other is a 3 inch personal USB lamp/fan.Actually, I have gotten very used to not using the air and only use it only once in a while if I take a short afternoon nap (to shut out some of the noise of my screaming neighbors).

I find it curious that I can go out jogging in the heat of the afternoon, sit outside in an open air restobar and enjoy it, go sit by the pool and soak up some rays, go visit a friend who has no air conditioning. I frequently do all of these things without even thinking about air conditioning,BUTAs soon as I am home relaxing, frittering away time on my computer, having a nap, watching tv, or anything like that I HAVE to have air conditioning or I become a bitchy miserable person to live with. So, I could live here without a/c but I wouldn't.
  • Like 1

No name
Posted
Posted

I would like to be able to live without aircon but I tried to use it only at night. I always get lung infections when I do that.At night it really just isn't wise if you can avoid it. The best defense against dengue is an aircon.

TomM
Posted
Posted

I perfer and use a/c keep it at 23 or 24 celsius and at night had to turn down the one upstairs woke up with a soar throat. However I think I could live here without a/c as much as a convience and nice as it is. Sometimes maybe not when it is firey hot. I have lived in Cape Coral, Fl and came up to my hometown near st louis missouri and with the humidity there it was hotter than south Florida. Here to me don't seem to be much humidity or not as much as back home.I lived in Cebu and ran two a/c's one during the day and the other during the night in the bedroom. Bill was 2436p appx.. I live here in CDO have a split a/c and one in the bedroom the one downstairs is automatic and I turn it to 27 at night probably never kicks on.I have slept at my fiance's house near Davao on top of a big hill and it got chilly at night with good airflow. I look at the weather and not sure of the seasons but a couple months ago it was 72 73 at night with a fan it would be nice. During the day yes it gets hot but I use to jog in 100degree heat in missouri on a old railroad trail 5 to 10 miles and get water when i got to one town and had water waiting in my truck or at the store i parked at. I think it is possible to live without a/c but I enjoy living with it. Kinda wishy washy but long as I can afford it it will be running. My bill here varies from 6 to 7 k pesos a month for a split a/c down stairs and one in the master bedroom at night. I think its just all of what you can get use to.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
I used to sit in air conditioning, but found that it made my sinuses dry and my throat hurt.
Yep, my throat is scratchy and my sinuses are dry as I sit here in the cool 23 degrees Celsius writing this short note. But its better than being sticky and grumpy which I would be if the power went out.yes.gif
  • Like 1

Art2ro
Posted
Posted

Again, but in just two words, "NO way"! mocking.gif

Brucewayne
Posted
Posted

My power went out not long after you wrote this, did yours?You get used to the weather here, more so if you had been born in the west or midwest U.S. because of the more intense heat there.This bit of warmth is a walk in the park alongside those long, hot, humid summers I grew up with and without so much as a fan.I do remember not being able to sleep on hot nights and being miserable for days on end.I am just thrilled that I can afford a fan and have an air conditioner (emergency use only) on standby.Ain't technology wonderful?

I used to sit in air conditioning, but found that it made my sinuses dry and my throat hurt.
Yep, my throat is scratchy and my sinuses are dry as I sit here in the cool 23 degrees Celsius writing this short note. But its better than being sticky and grumpy which I would be if the power went out.yes.gif

love2winalot
Posted
Posted

Hiya. We have 1 AC in our 4 ebdroom house, it somehow ended up in MY Room???????????????????????I use it maybe for 1 hour, 2-3 times a week, at night, just before going to bed. It is more to de-humidify the air, so the fan in blowing something other than hot air.

• Like 1