Dsl Speed In Cebu Sucks

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

While I hate to complain about things here, I am just wondering if anyone else has found that the speeds here do not seem to add up to what we actually get? To better explain, I have a service in Florida that is about half the speed of my current one in Cebu, yet pages load much faster on that service verses the one we have in Cebu. Also the service in Cebu keeps going on and off and I have already complained about 4 times since getting back here yesterday. I doubt it will do me much good and I am thinking of changing to a cable modem service because at least the cable seems to stay on and now it is digital.Below is my current speed test, so anyone know why the heck it is soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo slow to load pages, even local pages, and I was testing within the Phl as well, so it is not because it has to go across the pond? and I have tested it on 3 laptops and used CC cleaner on all of them before leaving the states, so it is not my computers fault.1152060248.png

Art2ro
Posted
Posted

We have PLDT 990 DSL plan with phone here in Northern Central Luzon. Here's my speed below. It seems to load pages just fine for me and doesn't hardly drop off line, but my video streaming some times is slow to catch up, which pauses a lot! Downloading movies from my favorite movie torrent website is somewhat slow, but it's bearable and does a good job, I just leave my PC on and download at night when I'm asleep and in the mornings most of my movie downloads are done. I usually download 5 movies simultaneously using my uTorrent down loader. I'm satisfied with my server for now and don't plan to change or upgrade anytime soon as long my system works fine. My Skype net phone with web cam and my Magic Jack works fine too! So, there's nothing to fix what ain't broke! 1152250613.png

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
While I hate to complain about things here, I am just wondering if anyone else has found that the speeds here do not seem to add up to what we actually get? To better explain, I have a service in Florida that is about half the speed of my current one in Cebu, yet pages load much faster on that service verses the one we have in Cebu. Also the service in Cebu keeps going on and off and I have already complained about 4 times since getting back here yesterday. I doubt it will do me much good and I am thinking of changing to a cable modem service because at least the cable seems to stay on and now it is digital. Below is my current speed test, so anyone know why the heck it is soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo slow to load pages, even local pages, and I was testing within the Phl as well, so it is not because it has to go across the pond? and I have tested it on 3 laptops and used CC cleaner on all of them before leaving the states, so it is not my computers fault.1152060248.png
Do you have the firewall turned on for both modem and computer,if so it will slow things down. I dont use the firewall on my modem just windows firewall on the computer. Never had a problem by doing that.I think you are using it as a wireless set up so try plugging in direct to the earthnet and see if that is better,I know in my case it makes a big difference.

Jake
Posted
Posted
While I hate to complain about things here, I am just wondering if anyone else has found that the speeds here do not seem to add up to what we actually get? To better explain, I have a service in Florida that is about half the speed of my current one in Cebu, yet pages load much faster on that service verses the one we have in Cebu. Also the service in Cebu keeps going on and off and I have already complained about 4 times since getting back here yesterday. I doubt it will do me much good and I am thinking of changing to a cable modem service because at least the cable seems to stay on and now it is digital. Below is my current speed test, so anyone know why the heck it is soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo slow to load pages, even local pages, and I was testing within the Phl as well, so it is not because it has to go across the pond? and I have tested it on 3 laptops and used CC cleaner on all of them before leaving the states, so it is not my computers fault.1152060248.png
I am assuming that your PLDT DSL signal rides on the standard twisted pair phone line. As you may know, there has beenhorror stories about unauthorized phone taps throughout the Philippines. Not to mentioned line noise due to defective filtersand the phone line itself, especially after typhoon season or building/residential construction. Hopefully, the technician canuse a sniffer to isolate the cause(s). Good luck -- Jake

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
I am assuming that your PLDT DSL signal rides on the standard twisted pair phone line. As you may know, there has beenhorror stories about unauthorized phone taps throughout the Philippines. Not to mentioned line noise due to defective filtersand the phone line itself, especially after typhoon season or building/residential construction. Hopefully, the technician canuse a sniffer to isolate the cause(s). Good luck -- Jake
Well we seem to have gotten a repairman who knows his stuff, and he found a loose wire down where PLDT hooks to the terminal for our condo unit, and then he came up and checked it here in the unit, and then he looked at my modem and said "those also give a lot of problems because they are very old," so he replaced my modem as well, and so far it seems to be working OK. I asked him for his phone number and he gave me his PLDT cell phone direct line and told me to call him if I have any more problems. Seems someone taught him good customer service, and I only wish everyone here would be taught how to do things the correct way the first time, and also how to do their best to solve issues ASAP. So, so far it has not gone out since he left and I have my fingers crossed that it will stay that way. Yes Jake it is just the two wire system which amazes me that they can get not only a phone but a dsl to work that way. I did bring a filter from the US that they give out to isolate the phone from the dsl, and I installed it on my phone here, and that made calls clearer.