Outside Looking In

Jake
Posted
Posted

Out of curiosity, I was wondering if anyone from the local or national Philippine government reads or monitorsexpat forums? I know that Lee and Art has personally emailed government officials to make them aware of our issues (immigration, peace and order, power issues) with some positive response. Should we be apprehensiveabout bitchin' and moanin' about the PI government?Respectfully -- Jake

Art2ro
Posted
Posted

I believe that there are other forums that their members are far worst in the "bitchin' and moanin' about the Philippine government"! Boss Man's forum members are way much tamer and milder and haven't read any slanderous or offensive remarks against the Philippine government lately anyways except for the different Filipino cultures by regions in the Philippines! Different regions, different cultures, ritual rites, lifestyles, attitudes and behaviors none like in any other country! If this country was still a dictatorship government like that of the Marcos regime, then it would be a different story were no one had any rights where people were thrown in jail just on suspicion alone or voicing one's opinions out loud against the government in public or in the media! One just have to worry about the Philippine Laws of today concerning slander, demeaning of one's character and or offensive obscenity in public or whatever else laws one know of that's illegal! With foreigners, sometimes it's just all about being in the wrong place at the wrong the time and depending the venue or circumstances!

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
Out of curiosity, I was wondering if anyone from the local or national Philippine government reads or monitorsexpat forums? I know that Lee and Art has personally emailed government officials to make them aware of our issues (immigration, peace and order, power issues) with some positive response. Should we be apprehensiveabout bitchin' and moanin' about the PI government?Respectfully -- Jake
Yes govt officials and newspaper reporters read forums, I know this as fact from interaction. While it is true that the govt does not like outsiders criticizing the way they do things, it is also true that they wish to have insight into what foreigners think about things and goings on. Speaking our mind on this forum can be our own little way of bringing about change in the Philippines, without actually voicing our opinions directly to officials, where offense might be taken. I have found over the years that for the most part Filipinos are a proud people and therefore like to think of ideas as their own, and not have them rammed down their throats by foreigners, so I have personally seen where news and govt officials have taken what was written on a forum, and then ran with it as if it was their own ideas. I have seen at least three examples of that in things that I have written myself over the years, coincidence, yes it could be but more than likely not, and more than likely it was someone who read what was written and ran with it since they used almost word for word of what I wrote. I do not keep track of what others write, but I am pretty sure that the same thing has happened with what others have written as well. Constructive criticism, and well thought out ideas will bring about change IMHO, and I do not believe that anyone would be held liable for saying what the news media is already saying, but if one of us was to make a libelous statement about a govt official of our own, and that has not already been discussed in the media, then we might find ourselves on the wrong end of the law or even worse. As Art has written above, most other forums that I have read are far worse, yet it seems the ones who post the worst trash, are those who are anonymous, whereas those of us who do not hide behind fake forum names and post facts about where we live, and who we are, no doubt need to be more careful and should not let those other posters lead us into a false sense of security, all IMHO.

Art2ro
Posted
Posted (edited)
As Art has written above, most other forums that I have read are far worse, yet it seems the ones who post the worst trash, are those who are anonymous, whereas those of us who do not hide behind fake forum names and post facts about where we live, and who we are, no doubt need to be more careful and should not let those other posters lead us into a false sense of security, all IMHO.
I've noticed too, that previous members that were here on Boss Man's forum that quit or got banned reasons which I won't go into, had joined other forums and still continue to talk trash about about the Philippines and other members on this forum! I guess there's just a lot of unhappy people and malcontents in every walks of life who has a bone to pick with anyone on any forum, and that's why they are now on the outside looking in! If it weren't for Boss Man and his administrators, these types of individuals would get away with anything they posted here and disrupt this wonderful forum! That's why I'm still here and appreciate that those types of trouble makers are no longer here! So now, more and more members are joining and sharing their life long experiences with everybody and in return also getting valuable important information here on Tom's forum about the Philippines and meeting new friends in the process. More power to your forum Tom! Edited by Art2ro

oldutot
Posted
Posted
As Art has written above, most other forums that I have read are far worse, yet it seems the ones who post the worst trash, are those who are anonymous, whereas those of us who do not hide behind fake forum names and post facts about where we live, and who we are, no doubt need to be more careful and should not let those other posters lead us into a false sense of security, all IMHO.
I've noticed too, that previous members that were here on Boss Man's forum that quit or got banned reasons which I won't go into, had joined other forums and still continue to talk trash about about the Philippines and other members on this forum! I guess there's just a lot of unhappy people and malcontents in every walks of life who has a bone to pick with anyone on any forum, and that's why they are now on the outside looking in! If it weren't for Boss Man and his administrators, these types of individuals would get away with anything they posted here and disrupt this wonderful forum! That's why I'm still here and appreciate that those types of trouble makers are no longer here! So now, more and more members are joining and sharing their life long experiences with everybody and in return also getting valuable important information here on Tom's forum about the Philippines and meeting new friends in the process. More power to your forum Tom!
Hey Art, I agree with your opinion, I have followed forums close to 10 years. This forum being one of the better ones.