Janitor Inserted Catheter; Patient Complains Of Bleeding

No name
Posted
Posted

I think this is worse than the video that came out of one of the hospitals where someone had something stuck up his bum....http://www.sunstar.com.ph/cebu/local-news/2011/03/04/janitor-inserted-catheter-patient-complains-bleeding-142969They let a janitor do a medical procedure? They justify it because they didn't have enough medical personal. So many reports of foreigners doing something stupid at least this time its not.I'm appalled. There are so many unemployed nurses in the Philippines. This is a major black mark. The Philippines is thinking of adding a medical tourism visa. Wow, I think though, there are going to be some stiff penalties some people pay for this.The hospital trained the guy to do this? They planned this? You've got to be kidding me! This makes my body parts cringe.You guys know I'm pretty positive about the RP but this is one of those cases where I'm totally appalled.

Art2ro
Posted
Posted (edited)

th_thholysheep.gifThere you go, the janitor also used to be a security guard in that hospital! He has then been given a crash OJT course and was upgraded to installing catheters as a side job, as a janitor/hospital staff helper! Hasn't anyone noticed where ever one goes and see security guards, they are doing everything else besides their security responsibilities? They're either busing tables, cleaning up after customers at food food joints, passing out forms at banks or malls! mocking.gifSugarwareZ-034.gif

Edited by Art2ro

Bruce
Posted
Posted

HEY! Stop over reacting! So the guy is a janitor, at least he is showing he is a team player and is willing to do 'odd jobs'. I am a state certified Air Con contractor (Florida, USA) and I have inserted 100's of catheters while I was working at different local hospitals!( Women only of course) I used to tell people that A/C installation and repairs come under the broader heading of 'plumbing' and so does catheter placements... just another type of plumbing. If you think I am joking about being an A/C contractor and also placing catheters in women on the OB/GYN units...... just ask Mr. Lee! But.... I would not let this guy work on my Mini Cooper, I mean, after all he IS just a janitor! Bruce

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
HEY! Stop over reacting! So the guy is a janitor, at least he is showing he is a team player and is willing to do 'odd jobs'. I am a state certified Air Con contractor (Florida, USA) and I have inserted 100's of catheters while I was working at different local hospitals!( Women only of course) I used to tell people that A/C installation and repairs come under the broader heading of 'plumbing' and so does catheter placements... just another type of plumbing. If you think I am joking about being an A/C contractor and also placing catheters in women on the OB/GYN units...... just ask Mr. Lee! But.... I would not let this guy work on my Mini Cooper, I mean, after all he IS just a janitor! Bruce
Yes but one thing Bruce left out is that he is also a registered nurse RN, whose specializes in OBGYN, so he likes playing with more than aircon pipes and cavities. :th_closed:

Bruce
Posted
Posted

Yes, Mr. Lee had to spoil it... now it does not seem so shocking that an A/C contractor also placers catheters...... So sad....But in reality, in the US, what the security guard did is not really shocking at all. Up to about 20 years ago, women in nursing school were not taught to place a catheter in a man. That 'delicate' task was performed by 'male orderlies' who were trained to lift and move heavy patients, take out the trash, clean surgical instruments, wrestle with crazy patients on the psych units AND placing catheters in male patients as well as shaving male patients for surgical procedures. Cathing a male is not supposed to be difficult. 1. grab crank, 2. insert semi soft rupper tube into opening, 3. SHOVE! (a bit of kelly lube is always nice) So it is reasonable that the security guard in this case did have 'some' training and experience. There may be issues of cath size and or proper inflation of the retention bulb, but that was not addressed in the article. Lucky for me, by the time I went to nursing school (1991), nursing had moved past that dark period! If I should find myself in a Philippine hosptial and needing to be cathed, I shall take matters into my own hands! (hehehehe) and if I am not able, but I am awake and able to communicate, and it comes down to a janitor wanting to cath me.... well, I shall instead offer him 1,000p to run to the nearest girly bar and bring back a GRO so I can at least be cathed by someone with a little experience in male plumbing....... Bruce

No name
Posted
Posted

Bruce, are you saying you don't have a problem with this situation? I'm not sure if that is what you're saying.Also, where did you get your training? Were you also an EMT or military medic? Did you get your training the doctors office. Did you have any kind of certification showing you had the skill necessary?

Bruce
Posted
Posted

Well, I recieved military medic training in 1973, although Vietnam was winding down and I was 17, so I never actually did anything medic wise. I did take EMT training in 1981. I did not like it. I am not a 'rescue-er' kind of guy. If you want help, ask and I shall do what I can. But most calls for help were calls from people that either could have / should have taken care of the situation themselves or at least driven themselves to a hospital rather than use an EMT unit as a taxi service. I went to nursing school in 1991 and then went into womens healthcare. As for being shocked at the article you mentioned, I am not. While I have never (ever) cathed a man, I do understand the drill. The major issue / obstacle is an enlarged prostate (not prostrate ' lying down) which can be addressed with a coude catheter.... A security guard in a hospital is very close to being an orderly. Certain basic tasks are taught and while people are reacting to the 'security guard' label on the man, in reality, he may have grown past being a security guard (as I did, and as many other men in nursing that had other jobs before becoming a nurse) and now he is growing in knowledge and skill levels. Cathing a man is really not difficult. Women on the other hand can have various anatomical varations and issues that make it more difficult. More than a few times I was called to a med / surge floor (I worked L&D) to cath an older women after the female staff on that floor was unable to cath her. This is an important aspect, and does somewhat possibly apply to the security guard. See below.Now, lets take a moment to piss off a few female readers....... Here in the US, a steady 6% of nurses are male. So it is a female dominated field. The nursing journals are rife with 'feel good' articles on the very common over used theme of a difficult patient who would have died or suffered some horrible unmentioned fate IF it weren't for the presence of that (female) nurse who managed to reach him and rescue him, ad nasueum. Again and again it is a common thread of a female nurse elevating herself on the backs of those 'poor patients'. Male nurses do not seem to have the same need to consently seek approval or verification of worth. The nursing journals also talk about female nurses being full of compassion and caring and female bonding and (excuse me for a minute whilst I tear up) other nice warm fuzzy things. Same theme over and over and over....Well that is just great. BUT! Nursing and medicine have a huge physical component that over shadows the warm fuzzy crap. I am a man. I fix things. I AM mechanically inclined! I was called in to other nurses patients to 'fix physical things'. Stuck babies, start an IV in bad veins, stop women from bleeding out, and of course, cathing difficult patient etc. It is what I do. I 'see it, understand it and I fix it'. No matter if it is a broken air con or a stuck baby, it needs physical intrevention. A stuck baby does not need to bond with, or compassion, or caring of some female nurse, It needs OUT! Or dies. Believe me, those parents are quite happy to have a nurse there who is mechanically inclined. So, that 'security guard' might just be mechanically inclined too. While he may lack experience in placing catheters.... he gets it one penis at a time..... There is no shortage of males in nursing who are kind, caring and compassionate AND mechanically inclined. Maybe this security guard will go to nursing school one day.... But, I still would not let him work on my Mini Cooper.......

No name
Posted
Posted

UPDATE:

He wasn't a hospital janitor as reported by a local daily—he was an “institutional aide.”So went the Capitol's clarification about the painful experience in a district hospital in Bantayan Island in which the aide, Arturo Abello, incorrectly attached a catheter to 68-year-old patient Astero Rivera.
Not sure I feel any better BUT the governor's action in the recent Norwegian case did increase her credibility to me. Nevertheless, I remain a bit skeptical.Bruce, it may be okay with you if medical procedures are performed by people without third party certification but it is not something I'm comfortable with.