Living Near Davao

TomM
Posted
Posted

Anyone familar with the Davao area interested in info as far as the safety in a small town an hour and a half away. Tagum City/New Corella . Is it safe to move there?I have been there and people don't seem to look at me funny and are very nice better than CDO. Heard some things about the NPA being around that area just curious if anyone lives near or around there that could give me some info. It is a couple years away but nice to do research than to put myself in a bad area. My fiance says it is fine just want a opinion of otheres. Property is cheap and Davao is nearby. Davao was nice and clean with stoplights was impressed. Just being an hour and a half away.Wondering if it is safe place to build a house someday? New Corella?.

• 2 months later...
Fast&Furious
Posted
Posted
Anyone familar with the Davao area interested in info as far as the safety in a small town an hour and a half away. Tagum City/New Corella . Is it safe to move there?I have been there and people don't seem to look at me funny and are very nice better than CDO. Heard some things about the NPA being around that area just curious if anyone lives near or around there that could give me some info. It is a couple years away but nice to do research than to put myself in a bad area. My fiance says it is fine just want a opinion of otheres. Property is cheap and Davao is nearby. Davao was nice and clean with stoplights was impressed. Just being an hour and a half away.Wondering if it is safe place to build a house someday? New Corella?.
yes I want to know too but it seems no one wants to talk about it

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
Davao is an up and coming area with quite a few new malls in the process of being built, so while it is not as loaded with foreigners as Cebu is, it is a nice area that my wife and I have visited and IMO will be better than Cebu once those malls are complete, since Davao does not allow girlybars and the shadier side of life, so IMO and from what I have seen and heard, you will get less sexpats there and more everyday expats. The only problem with Davao is that it is in Mindanao, and quite a few of the Muslim tribal leaders live there, so in other words there could end up trouble there someday, and the NPA is in all the mountain areas there.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
Perhaps more to the point, we dont have many members from that area so you wont get a lot of answers.Davao is a nice place and there is a thread on it some where here but perhaps not much info of out of the city its self.

Fast&Furious
Posted
Posted

Thanks Boss man...from some comments, I'm picturing Mindanao like a war zone...

Fast&Furious
Posted
Posted
Davao is an up and coming area with quite a few new malls in the process of being built, so while it is not as loaded with foreigners as Cebu is, it is a nice area that my wife and I have visited and IMO will be better than Cebu once those malls are complete, since Davao does not allow girlybars and the shadier side of life, so IMO and from what I have seen and heard, you will get less sexpats there and more everyday expats. The only problem with Davao is that it is in Mindanao, and quite a few of the Muslim tribal leaders live there, so in other words there could end up trouble there someday, and the NPA is in all the mountain areas there.
Sounds good to me....I may need to re-consider Davao then. I assumed 'sexpats' were going to Thailand.....

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
It is far from a war zone and basically safe most of the time. Mindanao has some beautiful countryside. Don't rule it out because of the nay sayers. There are quite a few expats living in different parts of Mindanao and while there had been problems in Davao years ago, it has been pretty quiet for quite a while now, except for in the mountain regions, so if in town, then you should be safe. In todays crazy world, no place is totally safe and anyone can end up in the wrong place at the wrong time. The only time it would be best to keep a totally low profile anywhere in the Philippines and especially in Mindanao, would be in times of elections. The main area in Mindanao where most of the problems seem to happen is the ARMM, so if you stay away from that area, and do not look for trouble, then you should be OK.

oldutot
Posted
Posted

There is a lot of kanos living in Davao. also living in the surrounding areaI think that inspector lives there now. As for the NPA they're all over the P. I.

Fast&Furious
Posted
Posted (edited)
It is far from a war zone and basically safe most of the time. Mindanao has some beautiful countryside. Don't rule it out because of the nay sayers. There are quite a few expats living in different parts of Mindanao and while there had been problems in Davao years ago, it has been pretty quiet for quite a while now, except for in the mountain regions, so if in town, then you should be safe. In todays crazy world, no place is totally safe and anyone can end up in the wrong place at the wrong time. The only time it would be best to keep a totally low profile anywhere in the Philippines and especially in Mindanao, would be in times of elections. The main area in Mindanao where most of the problems seem to happen is the ARMM, so if you stay away from that area, and do not look for trouble, then you should be OK.
is this in that area?http://www.youtube.c...h?v=ygDaa7QaBx4Note: very strong content after the 7th minute, do NOT watch if you are easily shocked by blood.Thanks Edited by wallaby

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
is this in that area?http://www.youtube.c...h?v=ygDaa7QaBx4Note: very strong content after the 7th minute, do NOT watch if you are easily shocked by blood.Thanks
Yes Cotabato is in the area of the ARMM and part of the area that it is good to stay out of, but Mindanao is a very large land mass, so that area is not Davao and the problems in the ARMM is usually not carried over to other areas. My wife and I have been to many parts of Mindanao over the last 17 years, and we just returned from the center of Mindanao, and so far I have never seen any problems, yet a couple of years ago when I was going to visit, our family asked me to stay away because the NPA were shooting it out with the military below and above where our family lives, so they wanted me to stay safe, so I stayed in Cagayan de Oro which is in the top of Mindanao and walked all around the streets while my wife went to visit her family deeper into Mindanao because she blends in and should be safe under most circumstances unless she happens to end up in the wrong place at the wrong time.