Living Near Davao

FutureRetiree
Posted
Posted

Hello,I am new to this place,but thought I would add a couple of cents to the topic....for what it's worth. My wife's family actually lives in Tagum City and owns a travel agency there. They have lived there several years and started their business from scratch there. My wife doesn't think it would be a bad place for us to live. I have visited the family there several times over the years, albeit for short periods of time. I never felt threatened there, but I was always with my wife or family members when I was out and about. I'm sure it might also bea little different living there on a full-time basis. To me, Tagum City is a nice place. While I was there we attended church, shopped in their stores, ate in their restaurants went to nearby beaches, and did anything we wanted to do. As I said, I didn't ever feel like I was threatened. Having said that, there are always dangers to foreigners no matter where you are in the Phils and you must be aware of what goes on around you. I still go to some places in Tagum City and put myself in a high alert and look at everything. Other places I feel more comfortable and can relax a little, but not totally. I still think I need to do more research on the bad elements before I make my final decision on where to live, but my personal experience in Tagum City has been fairly positive.Scott

Fast&Furious
Posted
Posted

from the Australian Government's DFAT site:http://www.smartraveller.gov.au/zw-cgi/view/Advice/Philippinesamong the other warnings, there is this:

• There is a danger of kidnapping throughout the Philippines, particularly in the southern Philippines, including coastal and island tourist resorts and dive sites. Terrorists have kidnapped foreigners from these areas in the past. On 16 July 2010, a Japanese citizen was kidnapped on Pangutaran Island in the Sulu Archipelago. He remains in captivity.
  • We strongly advise you not to travel to Mindanao, including mainland Mindanao, the Zamboanga Peninsula and the Sulu Archipelago, due to the very high threat of terrorist attack, including kidnapping, and related counter-terrorism operations. Armed clashes between Philippine security forces and the Moro Islamic Liberation Front could occur without warning, including in central Mindanao. Attacks occurred in mid-2009 against military and civilian targets. Further attacks cannot be ruled out.

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
from the Australian Government's DFAT site:http://www.smartrave...ice/Philippinesamong the other warnings, there is this:
  • There is a danger of kidnapping throughout the Philippines, particularly in the southern Philippines, including coastal and island tourist resorts and dive sites. Terrorists have kidnapped foreigners from these areas in the past. On 16 July 2010, a Japanese citizen was kidnapped on Pangutaran Island in the Sulu Archipelago. He remains in captivity.
  • We strongly advise you not to travel to Mindanao, including mainland Mindanao, the Zamboanga Peninsula and the Sulu Archipelago, due to the very high threat of terrorist attack, including kidnapping, and related counter-terrorism operations. Armed clashes between Philippine security forces and the Moro Islamic Liberation Front could occur without warning, including in central Mindanao. Attacks occurred in mid-2009 against military and civilian targets. Further attacks cannot be ruled out.

Yup, those warnings are on pretty much all govt sites and have been for many, many years, yet my wife and I have been going back and forth to Mindanao and the Philippines for 17 years and I am still alive and safe, maybe next time they will get me, NOT. :unsure: It is their job to warn you, and I believe it is our job to think for ourselves. I know people back in the states and some living in the Philippines, who basically hide in their homes most of the time and only come out to shop or do banking, but IMHO when it is my time to die, then a plane will crash into our home or condo if I hide there, or I will die of a medical issue, and I refuse to allow warnings to run my life. Live, Love and laugh today, for tomorrow may never come. We all have choices, and is you use normal cautions, then you should be safe almost anywhere in the Philippines, except for possibly getting killed while riding around in traffic. sad.gif

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
from the Australian Government's DFAT site:http://www.smartrave...ice/Philippinesamong the other warnings, there is this:

AgainIt depends on where in Mindanao you think you might go, you would not go to Jolo island or Cotabato but you wont be alone as a foreigner in CDO or Davao city or even Zamboanga city but there was a bomb go off there not long ago but my wife lives there or in the province of Zamboanga Mindanao.

FutureRetiree
Posted
Posted
AgainIt depends on where in Mindanao you think you might go, you would not go to Jolo island or Cotabato but you wont be alone as a foreigner in CDO or Davao city or even Zamboanga city but there was a bomb go off there not long ago but my wife lives there or in the province of Zamboanga Mindanao.
Agree....IMHO....while nothing in life is gauranteed, it depends where you go in Mindanao. If you go to places that are known for actual rebel activity, then you are asking for trouble. If you stay in cities that are not known for such activity on a "regular" basis, don't call attention to yourself, and stick with family when possible, then I think it's relatively safe. (My mother-in-law is always looking out for my wife and I and she will warn us not to go to certain places or activities if she feels it's not safe for us to go there.) Again, always be aware of your surroundings. Not paranoid, but aware.Have a GREAT day!