Two Drivers Were Torched To Death Inside A Bus

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
Here is the newspaper version.03/05/2011TACLOBAN CITY, Philippines—Two drivers were torched to death inside a bus in Almeria, Biliran early Saturday.And here is the rest of the story,Local gossip in Almeria, Biliran is that a group of up to 6 men on motorcycles, who were not from the area, were there to target Silverstar bus lines. It is said they first shot the 2 drivers before burning the busses. It is said they sent text messages to other bus drivers from Silverstar warning them to find other jobs. It is said that the reason is because Silverstar is getting too much market share from other bus companies who are taking action to drive them out of the area (uncertain where 'the area' starts and finishes). It seems that Silverstar is doing a great job for customer service but it appears that this in not the way to do business in the Philippines. Have a nice day.

Jim Sibbick
Posted
Posted
they were sleeping inside a bus owned by Silver Star Bus Liner about 1 a.m. in Barangay (village) Talahid, about 5 km from the town proper.
I have stayed in Barangay Talahid, Almeria, Biliran.I have an Australian friend whose family has this resort therehttp://www.agtabeach.com/There is not much through traffic at all. Not many people with a need to travel on a bus. So, I am not surprised they have to fight over the few customers available.The article doesn't say if Silver Star Busses has a licence to carry passengers in the area. I am thinking not and this was payback for operating illegally. I am also thinking that it is possible the people burning the busses were unaware of the drivers sleeping inside. Regards: Jim Sibbick

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
they were sleeping inside a bus owned by Silver Star Bus Liner about 1 a.m. in Barangay (village) Talahid, about 5 km from the town proper.
I have stayed in Barangay Talahid, Almeria, Biliran.I have an Australian friend whose family has this resort therehttp://www.agtabeach.com/There is not much through traffic at all. Not many people with a need to travel on a bus. So, I am not surprised they have to fight over the few customers available.The article doesn't say if Silver Star Busses has a licence to carry passengers in the area. I am thinking not and this was payback for operating illegally. I am also thinking that it is possible the people burning the busses were unaware of the drivers sleeping inside. Regards: Jim Sibbick
Yes Jim, your Australian friend is married to a cousin of my wife who is also from there so you can see where I am getting the 'local gossip' from. I have walked around the area quite a bit and often seen busses parked in the Agta Beach area and assumed it was the end of the route (turn around point). Quite nice busses too. Thats why I noticed them. Its hard to be unaware that the drivers are sleeping on the busses. Often I saw the drivers cleaning or maintaining the busses prior to their nap.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
. . . . my wife who is also from there so you can see where I am getting the 'local gossip' from. .
Well this is interesting for anyone following the news story. I guess I can say that the 'local gossip' came from Dona's uncle, Barangay Captain Joaquin Sabitsana , because his statement is here in this article.