Router Weird Computer Issues I Am Having

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

wt-hell.gif is going on? Up until a few days ago, the day Tom left Oz, my internet connection was working OK, but a day or two before the earthquake my ip address and dns started changing. I have not had this problem for the last 4 years here and I have been using the same equipment but PLDT did change my modem, yet for a week after the change there was no problem. Could they be trying somehow to block me from using a router? Here is what is going on and I cannot figure out why. I had the modem run into a Linksys wireless router and then plugged directly into my laptop computer, and my wife would use our laptop to go online using the wireless. I would also use the wireless for my US cell phone and even for an additional netbook which I brought along to do some traveling with when we go to Mindanao in April and then maybe sell. So while the router is hooked up, I cannot access the forum or any other site on that server but I seem to be able to access just about anything else online. When I try to access the forum it say it cannot find it. Then when I pull the router out of line, I have to repair my internet connection and renew my ip and dns and then I can access the forum but as soon as I hook the router back into line, then I have to do all the same things, yet I cannot access the forum again. Maybe I need special setting in my router since PLDT must have changed something. 89.gif Hmmmmm, I wonder if Tom is trying to give me a hint and get rid of me 89.gif but I know that would not be the case until at least after his vacation because he was going to share my internet connection while he is here, because he is staying in our building and close enough that he would have been able to access the wifi, that is if only I could get it working. SugarwareZ-034.gif23_11_62[1].gif1%20(103).gif1%20(103).gif1%20(103).gif

Steve
Posted
Posted

Have you tried resetting the router back to factory? And is the routers firmware up to date?

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
Have you tried resetting the router back to factory? And is the routers firmware up to date?
Yes and yes, I have updated it each time we get here and I have two routers (one spare) and the same happens with both. This is sooooo weird to me and I have never had this type of problem before. I think the big guy up in the sky is telling me to stay off this forum. lol

Art2ro
Posted
Posted

I too had the same problem long ago with my router! And yes I believe it's in the setup of the router! Since I'm no computer genius, I just removed my router all together and now my PC works fine! Oh BTW, for my wireless needs, my next door neighbor allowed me to access his wifi! So now, I can use my two laptops at home separate from my PLDT server! Eventually I'll try resetting my router! I said eventually, and not anytime soon, because I hate messing around with computer problems unless I really have to! SugarwareZ-037.gifmocking.gif

Steve
Posted
Posted

Try flushing the DNS via a command line on your computer also (if you haven't tried already).

ipconfig /flushdns

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
Try flushing the DNS via a command line on your computer also (if you haven't tried already).
ipconfig /flushdns

Yes I tried it and that did not work either, but please keep coming up with ideas and maybe one of them will probably be something I do not know about and have not tried.

Steve
Posted
Posted (edited)

Did you lose access to this site before or after the earthquake/tsunami?Actually, disregard this question. You can access the site without the router. I was going to go into the direction of DNS update lag if after the above events.

Edited by Steve

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
Did you lose access to this site before or after the earthquake/tsunami?
It was a few days before it happened, but who knows if they could have had a prequake that no one knew about before the big one that hit. Also they now have a notice when you call PLDT that says that they are having problems with international sites but I can connect with all other sites I have tried, even when I cannot connect with any on this server, so my guess is that it must have something to do with where this server is, yet it still does not make sense.

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

Well it seems MikeB has helped me to solve the problem. I only hope it is OK again when I turn the system back on in the morning. It seems the router needed the mac address changed and I also put in a Google DNS instead of a local one and now it is all back to normal except the connection speed still sucks. SugarwareZ-034.gif Not much I can do about the connection speed since I contacted the cable provider SkyCable and asked to have that installed and they told me it was not available to me, so it is either what I have or one of the USB devices which are even slower. Welcome to the Philippines. 23_11_62[1].gif

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

OK so here is the info that helped me, in case it might help someone else someday. I am sure MikeB will not mind me posting it as he deserves the credit for fixing my problem. Now if I wake up tomorrow and it still works then we know it is fixed for good but in the mean time, below is the info.Kioskea One Certain Site will not load! Help!! The correct answer to this problem is as follows: 1. You must go into your router. 2. Enter the setup section. 3. Select MAC address. 4. Select user defined. 5. Change a few numbers and letters in the MAC address. 6. Save settings and reboot your computer and reset your MODEM. Google DNSConfigure your network settings to use the IP addresses 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 as your DNS servers