Japan Woes To Hurt Ph Industry

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
Although everyone knows about the Japan situation now, I am starting to think this is going to hurt the Philippines. I read that Japan was this country’s biggest investor in 2009 and 2010 and I also read that Japanese investors, in very large numbers, are repatriating their investment money to help in the rebuilding of their own country. Can you imagine Cebu and area without the big Japanese companies like Mitsumi?
Well it seems Dave was right on target with his comment in the earthquake thread, and the below story shows just how much Japans situation might hurt the Philippines. We are all intertwined in todays world, so what happens to one will no doubt hurt the other.
Around 18 percent of Seipi’s total members are Japanese firms. Last year, these companies accounted for 20 percent of the Philippines’ total exports.
The country exported more than $400 million worth of agricultural products to Japan, including banana, pineapple, tuna, mango, seaweeds, asparagus and okra, he said. Imports, on the other hand, amounted to $105 million and were made up mostly of mackerel.
The complete story HERE

Art2ro
Posted
Posted
Although everyone knows about the Japan situation now, I am starting to think this is going to hurt the Philippines. I read that Japan was this country’s biggest investor in 2009 and 2010 and I also read that Japanese investors, in very large numbers, are repatriating their investment money to help in the rebuilding of their own country. Can you imagine Cebu and area without the big Japanese companies like Mitsumi?
Well it seems Dave was right on target with his comment in the earthquake thread, and the below story shows just how much Japans situation might hurt the Philippines. We are all intertwined in todays world, so what happens to one will no doubt hurt the other.
Around 18 percent of Seipi’s total members are Japanese firms. Last year, these companies accounted for 20 percent of the Philippines’ total exports.
The country exported more than $400 million worth of agricultural products to Japan, including banana, pineapple, tuna, mango, seaweeds, asparagus and okra, he said. Imports, on the other hand, amounted to $105 million and were made up mostly of mackerel.
The complete story HERE
I would think the Philippines would be an asset to Japan, since the Philippines do export million of dollars worth of agricultural products to Japan, including banana, pineapple, tuna, mango, seaweeds, asparagus and okra, he said. Imports, on the other hand, amounted to $105 million and were made up mostly of mackerel! Japan needs the Philippines now more than ever now that Japan is short on everything to take care their own people affected by the earthquakes and Tsunamis!