Service Above And Beyond

Married Kano
Posted
Posted

post-1388-0-36418800-1300294353_thumb.jpNot too long ago I had the distinct pleasure of attending a meeting of the Angeles City Philippines Chapter of the Disabled American Veterans. It was held at the Veterans of Foreign Wars (VFW) Post, also in Angeles City.As the meeting was called to order and got underway; my mind was called up to years past when I myself was in the military service of the United States. The training received, the days spent in service to my country. Friendships made during those years have long since faded into distant memory. But the honor and pride of service to my country still burns brightly in my heart.The one hour meeting progressed as different issues were brought before the group. Problems, solutions, areas of group and personal interest discussed and voted on. All for the sole purpose of people helping people. Not for money and not for recognition. But because they see the need and are responding to that need for the benefit of all.This writer left the meeting with not only a tear in the eye, but also a renewed faith in humanity and in the “Can-Do” attitude of American service men and women everywhere. A scripture comes to mind when I see this kind of service rendered; wherein Heavenly Father stated: “When you are in service of your fellow beings, you are only in service of your God.”American veterans of all branches of service that are retiring and moving to the Philippines are encouraged to contact the Disabled American Veterans post in Angeles City at the following web addresses: http://www.dav3philippines.com/Also, their landline telephone number is: 63(045) 892-6374Get in touch, and get involved with the greatest bunch of guys this side of anywhere.God bless these men and women worldwide who are still in the service of their fellow man and their country. And God Bless America.post-1388-0-70268800-1300294377_thumb.jp

• Like 2

Jake
Posted
Posted

Thank you Gene for the information about VFW post in Angeles City. I have already book marked and will study it further.I was a VFW member in San Diego, CA a long time ago and traded a lot of war stories. I ended up with tears of joy, as wellas sadness for our fallen warriors.Respectfully -- Jake

Married Kano
Posted
Posted

I think you'll enjoy visiting the VFW in Angeles Jake. Nice place and the restaurant inside does have very good food. One thing, if you settle around Angeles, its important to get a post office box there at the VFW. Several times per year social security will sent you a legal form that you MUST fill out and return to the states within a fairly short amount of time. Without them getting that paper back from you, you SS will be suspended till you take care of the problem at the embassy in Manila. Philippine postal service cant guarentee your mail is safe in either direction. Thus the need for the VFW PO box. That way your mail travels by and as US mail by special currier. That paper severl times per year is too important to risk with Philpost.Gene...

Thank you Gene for the information about VFW post in Angeles City. I have already book marked and will study it further.I was a VFW member in San Diego, CA a long time ago and traded a lot of war stories. I ended up with tears of joy, as wellas sadness for our fallen warriors.Respectfully -- Jake

Jake
Posted
Posted
I think you'll enjoy visiting the VFW in Angeles Jake. Nice place and the restaurant inside does have very good food. One thing, if you settle around Angeles, its important to get a post office box there at the VFW. Several times per year social security will sent you a legal form that you MUST fill out and return to the states within a fairly short amount of time. Without them getting that paper back from you, you SS will be suspended till you take care of the problem at the embassy in Manila. Philippine postal service cant guarentee your mail is safe in either direction. Thus the need for the VFW PO box. That way your mail travels by and as US mail by special currier. That paper severl times per year is too important to risk with Philpost.Gene...
Another excellent suggestion about validating yourself regarding SS benefits when you live overseas.Having a VFW PO box there in PI is a splendid idea. One more very important question -- does that posthave a nice bar with cold San Magoos and pitchers of MoJo's?Thank you sir -- JakePS -- how does everyone else receive their SS benefits?

• 10 months later...
Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I realzie this is an old thread but I was wondering what is the status of the DAV post in Angeles. The link above no longer works and when I do a search on the DAV page it says for the Philippines to use the VSO in Pittsburgh, PA.But I just did search for that phone number and and found http://www.vva887.com/index.html. Chapter 887 of the Vietnam Veterans of America, in AC next to the VFW. So the phone number is good.And I haven't seen a Mosiah quote in so long I almost did not recognize it. :cheersty:

Art2ro
Posted
Posted
I realzie this is an old thread but I was wondering what is the status of the DAV post in Angeles. The link above no longer works and when I do a search on the DAV page it says for the Philippines to use the VSO in Pittsburgh, PA.But I just did search for that phone number and and found http://www.vva887.com/index.html. Chapter 887 of the Vietnam Veterans of America, in AC next to the VFW. So the phone number is good.
Try this site for the VFW in Angeles City http://www.vfwpost2485.com/
  • Like 2

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

Cool. Thanks.

Art2ro
Posted
Posted

Also, the VFW in Angeles City have VSOs who can assist in VA matters like filing a VA claim on your behalf! There are other VFWs in the Philippines, but off hand all I know of is this the one in Angeles City.I will be going through the process in upgrading my VA disability rating and file for additional claims I may qualify for I didn't even know about for years which could put extra cash in my pockets to cover the costs of my medications and or give me a good tax break!

• Like 1