Smart Bro Usb Internet Connection Device

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

Smart sells a USB thumb drive device called Smart Bro and I have one for the last few years and it works pretty well while traveling but if far from fast, yet it is cheap to use at p10 per half hour on the clock. What do I mean by that, Smart charges by the actual half hour on their clock, so in order to save money and get my monies worth when using it, I do a buddy balance on my Smart cell phone and then set my computer and cell phone clocks to that time and then sign on at one minute after the hour or half hour and then run as long as I want to. If I were to sign on at say 11:55 AM then I would only get 5 minutes for my p10 because the half hour will change on the clock and then be into the next half hour. Below is a video of a home made device that will increase signal strength, so therefore increase speed because the better the signal, the better the speed the device provides. Watch the video on THIS PAGE to see the homemade device that seems to work well for them and for me. I had actually used a piece of metal screen in the past and it worked well also.

Art2ro
Posted
Posted

Good info Lee!th_thsmilies-29057.pngLooks so simple! I'll try it, the next time I use my Smart Bro, First I need to buy a USB extension, I used up all of mine on my desk top! AddEmoticons04230.gif

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
Good info Lee!th_thsmilies-29057.pngLooks so simple! I'll try it, the next time I use my Smart Bro, First I need to buy a USB extension, I used up all of mine on my desk top! AddEmoticons04230.gif
You can use the one that comes with the Magic Jack, that is what I do. Be sure to let us know how it works for you. If you have a full pin on your Smart cell phone at all times, then my guess is that it will not improve the Smart Bro much but then again, the Smart Bro is level and desk high, so just putting it up higher using the extension should help as well.

Art2ro
Posted
Posted (edited)

What I don't understand is, when my Smart Bro is saying that it's running 2Mbps and yet it's no faster that then my desk top's PLDT 1 Mbps speed, but seems a lot slower actually, my Smart Bro that is! At night, when there's no traffic it seems to run fine as fast as my PLDT 1 Mbps! Oh well, looks like there's nothing one can do about these internet plug-in devices, just have to go with the flow! I only use Smart Bro, because I use my cellphone with a Smart sim to top off my Smart Bro load balance. I haven't tried the other brands! Any difference if they're any better than Smart Bro?

Edited by Art2ro

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
What I don't understand is, when my Smart Bro is saying that it's running 2Mbps and yet it's no faster that then my desk top's PLDT 1 Mbps speed, but seems a lot slower actually, my Smart Bro that is! At night, when there's no traffic it seems to run fine as fast as my PLDT 1 Mbps! Oh well, looks like there's nothing one can do about these internet plug-in devices, just have to go with the flow! I only use Smart Bro, because I use my cellphone with a Smart sim to top off my Smart Bro load balance. I haven't tried the other brands! Any difference if they're any better than Smart Bro?
The answer is like anything else here, there is no truth in advertising in the Philippines and I would doubt that anyone gets anywhere near 2mbps, yet they advertise "up to 2 mbps." Here in Cebu City I think I get about one quarter of what they advertise. Back when I first got my device a coupe of years ago, when they first came out, the units were putting out a lot more speed and over double what it is today, but still no where near 2mbps, but like anything else here the infrastructure is overloaded and they really need to add more cell sites to it in order to make it work at top speed. As to your other question, I will start another thread but I think I already asked that somewhere else and no one answered.

Bundy
Posted
Posted

I was using "SloBro" last time i was there and with mixed results.For instance i would have assumed that it would work at it's best in the city but to my amazment it actually worked far better in Carcar. Also after using it for quite a while i found that it performed a lot better in the mornings than in the afternoon and weekends were pretty much a waste of time. When we move there i am going to try the Smart Wimax.

• 6 months later...
sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

I have just bought the extension usb lead and put the smartbro stick up against the window it went form under half signal strength to full and my computer is working much faster, great tip thanks

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

Forgot to say the speed is 0.48 mbps good enough for me

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
I have just bought the extension usb lead and put the smartbro stick up against the window it went form under half signal strength to full and my computer is working much faster, great tip thanks
Could even use one of these if it helps, http://www.cdrking.com/index.php?mod=products&type=view&sid=8867&main=157

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
Could even use one of these if it helps, http://www.cdrking.c...d=8867&main=157
Thanks it is working fine at the moment but I will keep it in mind for the future