The Strange World Of Some Blogs

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

I had been drawn into a disagreement not long ago by the owner of a blog that I will not mention. So since that former member felt the need to run down forums, I felt it only right that I take the time to read his blog, which he seems to feel is the only way to disseminate information to the world, info that he often gets by mining those same forums that he puts down, and then posts that info on his blog as if it was his own. I took the time to glance through almost the whole blog, only to find that there were few replies made to posts made by that blog owner by anyone, and then when he posted a post that might be controversial and might get replies, such as Expats infighting, I then find that he has closed that topic so no one can reply with their POV to why some of that infighting happens. Duhhh could it be because of people who like to attack other expats on blogs or forums. 89.gifWhy can't we all get along? Anyway I am not knocking said person, and he has every right to post whatever he wishes on his blog, and while he complains about how our forum is moderated, it seems he needs to take a better look at himself and how he moderates his blog by refusing to allow people to comment on his posts, or by locking a thread because he does not wish to read others POV on subject, as was the case with my comments when I replied to his childish comments on how bad forums are run. I guess forums are so bad that he reads them all and then steals info that members post on them. I have another friend who owns an online site, and I was informed by that friend, that this fellow stole info from his site as well, so I feel the owner of that particular blog I am commenting on is a hypocrite who enjoys only seeing his POV on topics and likes to see his own writing. Of course this is just my opinion and not the opinion of this forum, but I would like to see others opinions on why people have blogs that block other people from posting replies, if not to just have their POV shown. Below is a copy of what he posted at the end of a post he made which shows he locked the particular post or thread, so no one could post their POV on that subject. I wonder why that could be??? Hmmmm. lol Also I am in no way attacking all blogs, or putting blogs down in anyway, since we have a blog section on this forum and all are open to comments. Oh and to add once again, I DO NOT OWN this forum, or any forum, it is owned by Tom but I am an admin on here, so when someone attacks admins, they attack both Tom and I, so they brought me into this.

post-40-0-82085500-1300591646_thumb.jpg

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)

he has every right to post whatever he wishes on his blog
That part I don't totally agree with. He only has that right when he cites his source and gives credit and any appropriate royalties to the source. I do agree with blog owners limiting comments because there are a lot of people in this world who need to get in the last word. That is why there are two distinct entities, forums and blogs. I don't read blogs unless there are at least SOME 'forum like' comments because I feel most of them are the poster's pompous BS. I like to believe that most people are smart enough to see through it as I can. When I search Google for info I gloss over those kinds of blogs and go straight to the forums or interactive blogs. In the end, it is like watching a news documentary or reading a book. There is no right of response to those media either. So we consider the source, take the good and leave the bad . . . and sue the author if he is infringing on a copyright or libeling someone. Edited by Dave Hounddriver

Art2ro
Posted
Posted (edited)

I too, know of the individual Lee was referring to and I have read some of his comments on another forum that he joined recently and talking trash about Tom's forum! Hasn't anyone noticed that these types of individuals are business entrepreneurs in their late 30s or 40s and making their living in promoting their business on-line via blogs, forums and links to their advertisements! These types of individuals aren't retired like most of us here and they just want to sell their wares whatever it is! I pay no attention to those types of individuals because most people can see through them in what their intentions are! They just seem to be overly aggressive in their marketing schemes! Anyway, it's good that this forum doesn't put up with any of those types of individuals! Most of us forum members here know what the truth is concerning those types of people! Blogs are good in their own ways, but some individuals make it closed for replies and or comments! Here on Tom's forum, blogs can be created and other members can reply and give their POVs and opinions to give reassurances and advice to the original poster in hopes that any comments made by other members can be helpful!

Edited by Art2ro

Jake
Posted
Posted

I must admit that I am completely ignorant about blogs in general. I had to do some research in its history and why it is becoming more popular (profitable). Writing daily journals about yourself or your personal interest is really not my cup of tea. Unless your articles are very interesting to capture and maintain internet readership, I would not want to quit my day job any time soon.And now bloggers are a dime a dozen, with growing competition to get major advertisers to sponsor your blogs. I see it being another cut throat, back stabbing way to earn a buck. As in the case of Lee's post, it's quite apparent that freedomof speech or writing only works one way if the blogger refuses to play fair about responding comments. Bloggers mustfully understand and accept that their articles are not set in stone, as in the gospel truth. As it turns out, a lot of bloggersplagiarize other sources or simply write completely inaccurate blogs. For example, there are people out there thinks theearth is still flat. Freedom of speech should be peacefully enforced both ways -- point, counter point.With Tom's and Lee's guidance, it is my sincere hope that this forum continues to grow with friendly and mature memberswho loves sharing their experiences and lesson learned about living in the Philippines.Mabuhay -- Jake

Jim Sibbick
Posted
Posted

As a blog owner, here is one reason for blocking replies. Spambots!They have taken over the internet and seek out blogs to post their advertising for free. I was getting hundreds of bullsh&t posts every week until I worked out I could block people by making them join, then approve every post. Now I get about 5 new members a day on my blog, none of whose advertising gets approved.However, I have not been able to find any setting for my gallery, to block replies. Here is an example of what happens when you can't block the spam bots and spammershttp://www.bigjimsphilippinesexperience.com/gallery/details.php?image_id=35Regards: Jim

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

Yes we get tons of spammers on this forum too, but members never get to see any of them because new members posts are moderated to protect the forum, and the forum members. Many of the spam posts we get are loaded with links and my virus protector has gone nuts at times when I clicked on some of those links, so they had trojans or viruses in them to be put into an unsuspecting members computer, should they click on the links. I have even told the moderators not to click on spam links because it might infect their computer, but they can click at their own risk if they wish to. Anyway all those get deleted before they ever see the light of the open forum, and thanks to the great team we have on here, rarely can a new member post links without someone catching them and preventing them from being approved, because we have no way of knowing which are spam and which are real, when they are posted by a new member who has not even introduced themselves to us, or posted for a while. Spammers are learning and joining, and then making brief posts in order to try to override the new member filter, but that will never happen the way this forum is set up, so they can keep wasting their time if they wish to. Now back to blogs, I know spam can be a problem but in the example I posted in my op, it was clear that the owner of the blog did not wish to read others opinions, and to me that is wrong, so it does not surprise me that he does not like forums, because members have a voice on forums. As for news stories, they are held to a much higher standard, than any blog could ever be held to, so I do not feel that is a fair example to use about one sidedness. I feel Blogs have their place and personally I am happy to see when people such as Jim share their experiences and knowledge, unlike the persons blog who I read who obviously only wishes to see his own opinions in print, or the info he can mine from forums or other blogs. So while that person says he does not do it for the money, he even solicits donations to his blog, so if that is not for the money, then I do not know what is. So Art hit it right on the head and that person needs content to get hits, so he mines other blogs and forums to get that content, and then he insults the forums at the same time. Forums such as this cost much more money to run than a blog does, due to licensing, updates and the need for more speed and more space on a server, so many of the members have been kind enough to help the owner of this forum with donations, so I would never say donations are wrong, it is solicited donations which are solicited by someone who claims to not be doing it for the money, which makes me wonder why he is asking for those donations, if not for the money. 89.gif

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

OK so I get an email this morning from a friend telling me that my name is being use on said blog, so I go over there and see this fellow is once again bad mouthing me and using my name and twisting facts, but I will not stoop to his level and mention his name, even though he mentioned mine numerous times in his blog post, but one thing that I did find very funny was, that he says I accused him of stealing info from forums and he says he does not do that, yet Tom (Boss Man) made a post HERE yesterday about noisy roosters and I saw said blog owner reading this forum and that post, and low and behold what pops up on this fellows blog shortly after, a thread about roosters, (see below attached with date in case he deletes it once he reads this) so while he did not steal the post Tom made, he apparently does not have enough mind of his own to think up his own stuff and has to go to forums to mine them for information and ideas. post-40-0-51703200-1300766111_thumb.jpg Now we all mine news stories and daily life stories that we have, and that friends have, but I think it is the low of lows when a person who owns a blog and puts down a particular forum and the admins on that forum, and then comes to the same forum and use it to get ideas from that forum and the admins he so despises, to post on his blog, and then he calls me names and keeps saying this is my forum. Once again for all to see, THIS IS NOT MY FORUM and I do not own this forum or any forum. This forum belongs to Boss Man (Tom) and only Tom, and just because I post on it a lot, does not mean I own it, it just means that I try to share items that I feel others might have an interest in, or that can help others, because I feel that is what forums are for, disseminating information. Now why do I feel that it is important that people can reply to information posted on a forum or blog, because we all make mistakes at times and I remember one mistake that I made when I posted about coffee being illegal because someone sent it to me and I thought "wow I have been breaking the law all these years" so I did not wish anyone to get into trouble, so I posted it, and luckily Dave Hounddriver corrected my wrong post with more up to date information, so had it been one mans opinion on a blog, the information might never have been corrected because a person like Dave might not have been allowed to reply, as is the case very often on this particular persons blog. So while this particular fellow says that he does not moderate, he actually exterminates before the fact. Now while that guy says I have to get the last word, yes he is correct, I do when he or anyone posts wrong information about me and calls me by name and uses my name in vain, and twists facts to fit his needs, and to make himself feel better while doing it, because once again he gets to read his words and then must think they are gospel. You will all note that I have not mentioned his name, so who is the child, me or him. I will also note said person locked the thread where he mentions me, so no one including this old retired man as he called me, could not reply to it. I guess he is jealous he still has to work while I get to enjoy the fruits of all my years of labor, so I am proud to be a retired old man. :89: Oh and on my last word, I use a proxy server type program to access sites in the US, so they do not know I am in the Philippines or who I am, but I never use said program or hide my actual address when I access blogs or forums because I want them to know I was there biggrin.gifbecause I read to learn for myself, and I do not steal other peoples ideas.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
. . . . he says I accused him of stealing info from forums and he says he does not do that, . . .
Oh really?What about this quote? I have a suspicion it is from the same guy.
Im a member of at least 40 forums but generally im trawling for information on projects... Keen to help others along the way but im more of a data miner

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
. . . . he says I accused him of stealing info from forums and he says he does not do that, . . .
Im a member of at least 40 forums but generally im trawling for information on projects... Keen to help others along the way but im more of a data miner
:hystery: spot on Dave,just shows how much of a asshole he is. :as-if:There you go tropicalwaste,post that on your blog :cheers:

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
Well I was not going to say who he was but I guess some of you figured it out anyway. That post shows just how much he lies and thank you Dave for finding it. Oh his forum name on here was changed to something much more fitting of him IMHO, but it was not changed for that reason, it was changed because we did not wish him getting any more hits because of this forum, since he joined up as the name of his blog, so if that was not with the intention of using this forum for his own benefit, then I do not know what is. The man has a lot of growing up to do, and his friend had threated both Tom and myself in pm's numerous times, so I made a post on there in reply to something that person said about me about looking him in the eyes and saying anything, so the owner of that blog now says I threated that person when I told the guy where I was going to be on the night of a bd party and afterwards if he wanted to look me in the eyes and say it to my face. Now if that is threatening him, then I guess I did, because I am too old and too stupid to back down from anyone, and who knows I might even have won, even though the guy is much younger than I am, but I would always prefer to buy a guy a beer or two and try to talk things out rather than a fight because IMO fights and threats are for kids, and adults should be able to work things out like men while talking, yet if a person insults me or throws the first punch then I will reply in kind.