Uncouth

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Man this topic brings back some memory's! While living in China I noticed pople would spit all over the place for no good reason. Later when I had a Chinese girl friend she explained some of the more superstitious people thought bad spirits were to them or something (it was never clear) so they could "spit" them out. Chinese are very interestingly superstitious and I mean over the top crazy sh#%. I have some close Hong Kong Chinese friends and they strongly dislike mainlanders calling them rude uncouth superstitious rabble. My point is each culture has its own norms what is odd or uncouth to one group is normal to another. I take issue with some of the more unsanitary practices found in Philippines most know better even those from da Providences.

Andrew
Posted
Posted
Man this topic brings back some memory's! While living in China I noticed pople would spit all over the place for no good reason. Later when I had a Chinese girl friend she explained some of the more superstitious people thought bad spirits were to them or something (it was never clear) so they could "spit" them out. Chinese are very interestingly superstitious and I mean over the top crazy sh#%. I have some close Hong Kong Chinese friends and they strongly dislike mainlanders calling them rude uncouth superstitious rabble. My point is each culture has its own norms what is odd or uncouth to one group is normal to another. I take issue with some of the more unsanitary practices found in Philippines most know better even those from da Providences.
Anybody else ever wonder why the locals will hide using a toothpick by covering their mouth with their hands, but have no problem displaying their nose picking skills?

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
Anybody else ever wonder why the locals will hide using a toothpick by covering their mouth with their hands, but have no problem displaying their nose picking skills?
Yes that always made me scratch my head, 89.gif but I am guessing that a lot of it has to do with teachings of proper social skills, or lack thereof.

Jake
Posted
Posted
Yes that always made me scratch my head, 89.gif but I am guessing that a lot of it has to do with teachings of proper social skills, or lack thereof.
Hey guys,Old55 mentioned little old ladies elbowing their way through the line while he was in China. I really can't believethat the Philippines has the monopoly of "uncouth" public behavior. I understand that public urination is commonin Europe, especially in France. Except for super clean Singapore and Australia, there must be other Asian and middle eastern public behaviors that doesn't agree with our so called etiquettes. Respectfully -- Jake

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
Hey guys,Old55 mentioned little old ladies elbowing their way through the line while he was in China. I really can't believethat the Philippines has the monopoly of "uncouth" public behavior. I understand that public urination is commonin Europe, especially in France. Except for super clean Singapore and Australia, there must be other Asian and middle eastern public behaviors that doesn't agree with our so called etiquettes. Respectfully -- Jake
I agree, public urination is not entirely by choice public facility's are rare.

gapotwo
Posted
Posted

after 2 baluts and 3 beers in front of a sari sari store ,WHATCHA GONNA DO??:13_4_10[1]: :as-if: :89: :th_exactly: :lol:

Jim Sibbick
Posted
Posted
Ahhh!But who is to decide what is proper?Regards: Jim

• 2 weeks later...
Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
What's the thoughts on the uncouth behaviour you may have witnessed here?For example riding in taxis and the driver is constantly wretching,belching, snorting and spitting through the window...experienced that a lot.Even notice women in the streets spitting randomly....saw one woman spit about 5 times within 10 metres of walking.The males urinating in public without shame up any available wall, regardless of who is in the vicinity.The nose picking in public, even in eating places.And walking near Robinsons a guy in front of me turned his head and spat and it landed on my foot.Not hard to get the impression that there's a lot of pig mentality.
http://www.liveleak....=076_1302307675So not only in dah Philippines. :lol: Nasty girl in a car picking her nose and eating it. ohmy.gif Maybe she was on her lunch break. :lol:

ekimswish
Posted
Posted (edited)
At this point in there culture these things are accepted. Probably in the future as there culture evolves these traits will start to disappear. As an example in the US 35 or 40 yrs ago smoking cigarettes anywhere the smoker wanted to was a given, even hosts on television like Dean Martin would lounge around in his chair cigarette in one hand and a drink in the other. I remember smoking cigarettes on airplanes, if the guy next to you complained you looked at him like he was crazy. It was the mindset of the time, we look back at it and wonder "what were we thinking". Things will change but will take time. I don’t believe I would compare them to "baboy" tho, that is just a little disrespectful. Doug and Sally
Hello Doug,You make a very good point about "developing" societies. I often wonder how other countries, similar to PIbehave themselves out in public. For those of you have travel in other countries in the Far Eastern region orAfrica and Middle Eastern countries, do you see such behavior?Respectfully -- Jake
In Korea it's common to hear people do that monster snort in preparation to hock a loogy. You hear it across the street in other apartments even. It's just normal, like personal hygene, taking care of themselves in the morning! lol... They also piss all over the place, even though there are bathrooms they could use in almost every building, but they're usually wasted drunk when they do it, and mostly older guys who grew up in a poorer version of Korea. You also see vomit all over the street, but that's hard to help when you're as drunk as they are. I call them Kimchi pizzas, because the vomit is always loaded with the red stuff. Here in Taiwan, you see beetle nut spit all over the streets, once outside of Taipei. Taipei does a decent job of limiting the beetle nut consumption, but immediately outside the city jurisdiction, there's red spit and chewed up nuts all over. It's similar to chewing tobacco, but red. I can't complain about nosepickers, because I'm one of the worst offenders... I just don't eat 'em. I flick 'em somewhere and pretend that they've disappeared into thin air. Out of sight, out of mind. In the province, people just piss anywhere, because they're mostly surrounded by nature. You're mostly pissing into a bush or on a tree, and I imagine a lot of people do the same thing back home in the West, when they've lucked out of options. I remember long road trips in the prairies, and stopping for bathroom breaks along the side of the road, leaking in the ditch beside some farmer's field, hoping passing cars couldn't see your ding-a-ling. Anyways, for all the people living on the streets in the PI, I think they have larger fish to fry first. Oh yeah, and then there was that African doctor I saw in Canada at a local clinic who was picking his nose right in front of me.... HE WAS A DOCTOR! Still, I also remember sitting between my mom and dad on long trips, and my dad picking his nose while driving, and rubbing the boogers from his fingers dangerously close to my legs..... I don't think he noticed.... I sure did. Edited by ekimswish