Enjoying The View

Married Kano
Posted
Posted (edited)

We all have our reasons for becoming or wanting to become an expat. For some it might be strictly financial. Finding a place to spend ones retirement years living in complete comfort and enjoyment; rather than staying in America and having to decide if you are going to buy medicine this week or spend the only money you have to buy food. For others, it might be for the adventure, or girl chasing, political, or just ready for that one really big change in life. To be able to say “ I did something really wild and different.”Whatever your reason, it’s important to not only identify your reason or reasons. It’s also important to take a trip or two to your new country before moving to be sure it really is a place you would want to call home. After the new wears off in that new country it can be a real eye opener. Especially if you discover you made a very bad and costly mistake. If like me, your chosen country is the Philippines, it without a doubt is an eye opener when the new wears off. Many foreigners move here and buy a house in a fenced, guarded sub division, in a house, on a street that looks like most any place in California; surrounded by the type of neighbors you thought and hoped you had left far behind.My choice after many trips here was to make a complete change from life in the States. Rather than a big fancy house or apartment, we decided to live in a Mt. Pinatubo resettlement. Where each house on each crowded street is attached to the one next door. Like a “Flintstones” version of a condominium. It’s only a 12x30 foot cement box with a corrugated metal roof and no air conditioning. But it’s a place where I can enjoy the view. A place where I can enjoy life. A place where even though frustrating on a daily basis for many reasons, I can enjoy getting up each day and be able to visit with neighbors and friends that always have a smile and a good word to share. Not like all those I left behind in the States eight years ago.Living as I do is not for everyone to be sure. But it’s the life I chose. And together with my sweet Filipina wife and little daughter, life is good and we are enjoying the view more and more every day…Mabuhay from the beautiful Philippines…

Edited by Married Kano

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
We all have our reasons for becoming or wanting to become an expat. . .. . . Whatever your reason, it’s important to not only identify your reason or reasons. It’s also important to take a trip or two to your new country before moving to be sure it really is a place you would want to call home. After the new wears off in that new country it can be a real eye opener. Especially if you discover you made a very bad and costly mistake.
I find this an interesting topic.Personally, I cannot understand people who put down deep roots such that they want to stay in one place for the rest of their lives. I was born to traveling parents and 55 years later I still get itchy feet after about 3 years in one place. Sometimes I don't move far, perhaps to a nearby city, but I definitely feel the itch to move every 3 years.So, although the Philippines is a great place, I cannot imagine it being a mistake for someone who moves here, stays for 3 years, and then tries somewhere else. That is unless that someone builds an expensive 'dream home' here that they will never be able to sell in their lifetime, (a very common mistake here).One of the things I enjoy about being an expat here is that there are so many guys in a similar age group and or a like mind so social groups are easy to form.Next stop for me still looks to be Biliran, in a couple of months, but time will tell how that works out. This time it is still in the Philippines because this is a great country with lots of places to try.

Jake
Posted
Posted
We all have our reasons for becoming or wanting to become an expat. For some it might be strictly financial. Finding a place to spend ones retirement years living in complete comfort and enjoyment; rather than staying in America and having to decide if you are going to buy medicine this week or spend the only money you have to buy food. For others, it might be for the adventure, or girl chasing, political, or just ready for that one really big change in life. To be able to say “ I did something really wild and different.” Whatever your reason, it’s important to not only identify your reason or reasons. It’s also important to take a trip or two to your new country before moving to be sure it really is a place you would want to call home. After the new wears off in that new country it can be a real eye opener. Especially if you discover you made a very bad and costly mistake. If like me, your chosen country is the Philippines, it without a doubt is an eye opener when the new wears off. Many foreigners move here and buy a house in a fenced, guarded sub division, in a house, on a street that looks like most any place in California; surrounded by the type of neighbors you thought and hoped you had left far behind. My choice after many trips here was to make a complete change from life in the States. Rather than a big fancy house or apartment, we decided to live in a Mt. Pinatubo resettlement. Where each house on each crowded street is attached to the one next door. Like a “Flintstones” version of a condominium. It’s only a 12x30 foot cement box with a corrugated metal roof and no air conditioning. But it’s a place where I can enjoy the view. A place where I can enjoy life. A place where even though frustrating on a daily basis for many reasons, I can enjoy getting up each day and be able to visit with neighbors and friends that always have a smile and a good word to share. Not like all those I left behind in the States eight years ago. Living as I do is not for everyone to be sure. But it’s the life I chose. And together with my sweet Filipina wife and little daughter, life is good and we are enjoying the view more and more every day… Mabuhay from the beautiful Philippines…
Mabuhay Gene,What can I say following your profound view of enjoyment in the Philippines. To some visitors thinking aboutresettlement to PI, it may take a few trips to graduate beyond the tourist perception and actually get downand dirty with the local environment and people, rather than living out of suitcases in an air conditioned andpampered hotel room. In some cases, your final residence is dependent on where your wife is from. But If I could do it all over again as a young single with hormones on fire, I would visit every major island group and try not to get tied down like what Magellan did......he, he.Getting back to basic and easy life will certainly enhance a more healthy lifestyle, especially during our goldenyears. Thank you for the inspiration my friend!Respectfully -- Jake

Married Kano
Posted
Posted
We all have our reasons for becoming or wanting to become an expat. For some it might be strictly financial. Finding a place to spend ones retirement years living in complete comfort and enjoyment; rather than staying in America and having to decide if you are going to buy medicine this week or spend the only money you have to buy food. For others, it might be for the adventure, or girl chasing, political, or just ready for that one really big change in life. To be able to say “ I did something really wild and different.”Whatever your reason, it’s important to not only identify your reason or reasons. It’s also important to take a trip or two to your new country before moving to be sure it really is a place you would want to call home. After the new wears off in that new country it can be a real eye opener. Especially if you discover you made a very bad and costly mistake. If like me, your chosen country is the Philippines, it without a doubt is an eye opener when the new wears off. Many foreigners move here and buy a house in a fenced, guarded sub division, in a house, on a street that looks like most any place in California; surrounded by the type of neighbors you thought and hoped you had left far behind.My choice after many trips here was to make a complete change from life in the States. Rather than a big fancy house or apartment, we decided to live in a Mt. Pinatubo resettlement. Where each house on each crowded street is attached to the one next door. Like a “Flintstones” version of a condominium. It’s only a 12x30 foot cement box with a corrugated metal roof and no air conditioning. But it’s a place where I can enjoy the view. A place where I can enjoy life. A place where even though frustrating on a daily basis for many reasons, I can enjoy getting up each day and be able to visit with neighbors and friends that always have a smile and a good word to share. Not like all those I left behind in the States eight years ago.Living as I do is not for everyone to be sure. But it’s the life I chose. And together with my sweet Filipina wife and little daughter, life is good and we are enjoying the view more and more every day…Mabuhay from the beautiful Philippines…
Mabuhay Gene,What can I say following your profound view of enjoyment in the Philippines. To some visitors thinking aboutresettlement to PI, it may take a few trips to graduate beyond the tourist perception and actually get downand dirty with the local environment and people, rather than living out of suitcases in an air conditioned andpampered hotel room. In some cases, your final residence is dependent on where your wife is from. But If I could do it all over again as a young single with hormones on fire, I would visit every major island group and try not to get tied down like what Magellan did......he, he.Getting back to basic and easy life will certainly enhance a more healthy lifestyle, especially during our goldenyears. Thank you for the inspiration my friend!Respectfully -- Jake
Hi Jake and Dave, I have to agree with you both in many ways. I too have been a born traveler. When working for the airlines I'd fly from LA all the way to Atlanta GA just for some black bottom pie and coffee at the airport restaurant there-and had I found the Philippines when young and single I too would have probably stayed or at the very least would have caused a sharp jump in the local population! But now that I look back on life, I think my always traveling and exploring new places was simply in search of something but didnt know what it was. That is until I found my wife here and married. Now, all desire to move or move on and also to travel is simply gone. Finally found what I was looking for and I'll stay right here. Gene...

Art2ro
Posted
Posted

Gene,You just answered my question, Why do some Kanos like living in the boonies! Your answer, "For the breath Taking View"! The "Flintstone's" version of living maybe OK for some who grew up in the woods, but no matter what the view looks like, every day living in that way of lifestyle would be unbarable to most westerners without the creature comforts! As I always say, "Different Strokes for Different Folks"! I still prefer the Western lifestyle, with the nice home with all the creature comfort in a clean, quiet and secure subdivision and centrally located to everything, shops, malls, hospitals, schools, you name it it's all here where we live for convenience! I worked hard all my entire adult life and have experienced every living condition one can think of and I prefer the modern western lifestyle I have achieved for me and my wife! We are very happy with our retirement here in the Philippines and we are staying here for good with a lifestyle some dream of! Just a simple and comfortable lifestyle! We aren't rich by no means, but we aren't poor either, we're just your typical "upper middle class" retired couple with no kids, my wife has enough nieces and nephews to call her own family! As a matter of fact her niece and nephew is spending their Spring school break with us, they're smart and well behaved kids! More power to you and yours! "Life is what we all make it to be"!

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
Gene,You just answered my question, Why do some Kanos like living in the boonies! Your answer, "For the breath Taking View"! The "Flintstone's" version of living maybe OK for some who grew up in the woods, but no matter what the view looks like, every day living in that way of lifestyle would be unbarable to most westerners without the creature comforts! As I always say, "Different Strokes for Different Folks"! I still prefer the Western lifestyle, with the nice home with all the creature comfort in a clean, quiet and secure subdivision and centrally located to everything, shops, malls, hospitals, schools, you name it it's all here where we live for convenience! I worked hard all my entire adult life and have experienced every living condition one can think of and I prefer the modern western lifestyle I have achieved for me and my wife! We are very happy with our retirement here in the Philippines and we are staying here for good with a lifestyle some dream of! Just a simple and comfortable lifestyle! We aren't rich by no means, but we aren't poor either, we're just your typical "upper middle class" retired couple with no kids, my wife has enough nieces and nephews to call her own family! As a matter of fact her niece and nephew is spending their Spring school break with us, they're smart and well behaved kids! More power to you and yours! "Life is what we all make it to be"!
This is one of the good aspects of living in the Philippines there are choices. I agree with Art. I love Southern Leyte but after a week there I am ready to move back to Cebu City because it is just too darn quiet and slow. The views and people in the Sogod Bay area are the best you can find anyplace but I can't live there.

Married Kano
Posted
Posted
Yep, I agree-different strokes :th_thholysheep: . I too worked hard all my working adult life. I grew up in and spent many adult years in LA/Hollywood. So for me I have had enough of city or big town living. Here in a resettlement compound puts and keeps us close to so many of the locals. True, we live among the poorest of the poor. But what wonderful people to have for neighbors. Noise, yes I agree and wish it was more quiet but not possible with so many living close togather as it is here. Nice part here too is our cost of living is far under $200.00 per month even operating aircon that we installed a few months ago. If we want modern shopping, shows, or restaurants they are all close and within a 30 minute ride from home. We do have a working farm and bigger house outside of Concepcion Tarlac where we often spend weekends. But for everyday life this has to be the place! When first married we talked about living in the states but my wife prefered to stay here close to home and family. Now eight years later I'm still in total agreement and would never consider leaving. Its kind of fun too when at meal time, often neighbors will bring something over that they had just cooked to share. Or my wife's friends from her church show up with loads of BBQ pork and fish just for fun or we do the same in reverse. Only thing that bothers me is the uninvited family that sometimes shows up for a week long visit. Just wish I could have found my wife and the Philippines years earlier. Gene

Jake
Posted
Posted

Hello Gene,Now you got me in the adventure mode of exploring as much as I can. The link below shows a verynice pristine lake at the top of Mt Pinatubo. Not bad for around 50 bucks each (party of six minimum).Check it out.......Jakehttp://www.trekkingpinatubo.com/

Married Kano
Posted
Posted
Hello Gene,Now you got me in the adventure mode of exploring as much as I can. The link below shows a verynice pristine lake at the top of Mt Pinatubo. Not bad for around 50 bucks each (party of six minimum).Check it out.......Jakehttp://www.trekkingpinatubo.com/
Hi Jake, yea Mt. Pinatubo would be a neet place to explore. I ran a check on the website you provided and it comes back to:Registrant:Paul Retzlaff23 Trewartha FlatsCarbis BaySt. Ives, Cornwall TR26 2THUKDomain name: TREKKINGPINATUBO.COMAdministrative Contact: Retzlaff, Paul 23 Trewartha Flats Carbis Bay St. Ives, Cornwall TR26 2TH UK +44.7930531142Dont know if he is the owner of the tour operation or not. Over the past several years there have been problems from time to time with the NPA taking pot shots at tourists up there. As much fun as it would be, for now I'll just look at the photos-Hahahaha.Gene

oldutot
Posted
Posted
Hi Jake, yea Mt. Pinatubo would be a neet place to explore. I ran a check on the website you provided and it comes back to:Registrant:Paul Retzlaff23 Trewartha FlatsCarbis BaySt. Ives, Cornwall TR26 2THUKDomain name: TREKKINGPINATUBO.COMAdministrative Contact: Retzlaff, Paul 23 Trewartha Flats Carbis Bay St. Ives, Cornwall TR26 2TH UK +44.7930531142Dont know if he is the owner of the tour operation or not. Over the past several years there have been problems from time to time with the NPA taking pot shots at tourists up there. As much fun as it would be, for now I'll just look at the photos-Hahahaha.Gene
I have travel around that area several times. The highway that goes by Pinatubo is the roadway to my wife's home town near Tarlac.