Uninvited Houseguests

Jake
Posted
Posted
THE worst cultural aspect to deal with, IMHO, is this uninvited guest syndrome. I once had a uninvited and unexpected "drop over" of an aunt, with 5 of her 25 children that lasted a week. Some might say, how is 25 even possible being the aunt is 30, but I believe, correct me if I'm wrong... in the Philippines the length of a pregnancy term is 30 days...Sure, math majors might suggest this is only 20% of the family total, however to them I say, look in my ref, and add up the cost to my wallet, and then subtract my expensive chocolate flavored muscle milk as to the guests, it tastes like ovaltine, not realizing the consequences to them of taking this very high protein mixture for a week. Well, needless to say, after doing marriedkano's method, been there done that, and not buying anything more for the 20 percenters to attack like a locust pack on a wheat field, they simply left after the week's worth of food...me of course not saying anything to them suggesting departure at any time, as they were all now packing on 10 extra pounds of muscle. Nothing quite as intimidating, this side of an Aussie drinking his own urine, as a 6 year old pinoy with newly grown mustache and arms as big as my legs.Believe me when I say this, staying in the lines while using crayons in his coloring book no longer matters to him, and those crayons could be in your eye if you tell him to do so.Future reference to self while in striking distance of filipino family, hide chocolate flavored muscle milk. :36_1_50[1]:
Hello Shipmate,Once again, your comments are head shot bulls eye with your unique sarcastic twist of Filipino reality.Yes, you're absolutely correct -- the gestation period is only 30 days, as the cycle of life continues with"slam bam, thank you ma'am".By the way, are there any refrigerators that have a built-in cypher lock, that only NSA could crack?Got milked -- Jake

Married Kano
Posted
Posted
THE worst cultural aspect to deal with, IMHO, is this uninvited guest syndrome. I once had a uninvited and unexpected "drop over" of an aunt, with 5 of her 25 children that lasted a week. Some might say, how is 25 even possible being the aunt is 30, but I believe, correct me if I'm wrong... in the Philippines the length of a pregnancy term is 30 days...Sure, math majors might suggest this is only 20% of the family total, however to them I say, look in my ref, and add up the cost to my wallet, and then subtract my expensive chocolate flavored muscle milk as to the guests, it tastes like ovaltine, not realizing the consequences to them of taking this very high protein mixture for a week. Well, needless to say, after doing marriedkano's method, been there done that, and not buying anything more for the 20 percenters to attack like a locust pack on a wheat field, they simply left after the week's worth of food...me of course not saying anything to them suggesting departure at any time, as they were all now packing on 10 extra pounds of muscle. Nothing quite as intimidating, this side of an Aussie drinking his own urine, as a 6 year old pinoy with newly grown mustache and arms as big as my legs.Believe me when I say this, staying in the lines while using crayons in his coloring book no longer matters to him, and those crayons could be in your eye if you tell him to do so.Future reference to self while in striking distance of filipino family, hide chocolate flavored muscle milk. :(
Hello Shipmate,Once again, your comments are head shot bulls eye with your unique sarcastic twist of Filipino reality.Yes, you're absolutely correct -- the gestation period is only 30 days, as the cycle of life continues with"slam bam, thank you ma'am".By the way, are there any refrigerators that have a built-in cypher lock, that only NSA could crack?Got milked -- Jake
My Gosh thats funny stuff! Hmmm-I think both of you need to be kept on a leash :728: .. That really got me laughing but now wondering how I'm supposed to go back to sleep :36_1_50[1]: ??? My wife even woke up with me sitting here laughing my tail off! I think she's about 99% sure I'm crazy-hahaha. Good night all and thanks for the laugh. Gene...

• 1 month later...
Papa Carl
Posted
Posted

True true and true!! I know I am only a novice, being here only 4 years, and you have no idea how relieved I am to hear other expats, with more years of experience shifting their way through mountains of cultural sh--! Unwanted, uninvited, non announced, broke and hungry hordes of relatives!!!! I thought it was only me!!!! I have tried, patience, understanding.... then progressed to staying in the bedroom the entire time they were here, until one time I realized I hadn't been out of the bedroom for almost 4 days!! Then I went to leaving the house when our uninvited guests arrived, (but couldn't afford to stay in the local watering hole for a week! Eventually got to a point where I finally discussed this all with Ellie, (who to her credit has been like a 5 foot referee between angry heavy weight boxers) and clearly stated no more!!! If they want to visit, let us know first!!! And most of all wait until we reply before showing up at the door, (with mouth open waiting for food).What a difference it has made! Well for the most part anyway, we still have a few uninvited guests periodically but I think they can tell by the veins pulsing in my neck and face, and my blue eyes turning grey, that they better not push it!It finally came to a head when I stated to Ellie that for our wedding reception, there would be "NO BOOZE" I was tired of the entire extended family showing up for every celebration they had at our house expecting us to provide the food and drink. I would eventually go to sleep and leave them all to continue drinking until there was no booze left, at which point most of them went home. It worked!!!!!! We had champagne, and 1 drink each, if they wanted more, then they paid for it. No one got drunk, there was no fighting or arguments, no furniture broken etc etc. I too have found Ellie in tears, trying to figure out how to help her brothers or mother and still make sure there is enough food in the house. This always melts me, I am such a sap for women and tears!! We seem to have come to an agreement that works. If someone wants to visit, for a day, a week or several months, they ask first, Ellie and I discuss it, and then we both tell them our decision.Unfortunately things still get damaged somehow with every visit! Not sure if this is a Philippine thing, or just unique to my extended family. Broken door handles, broken plates and glasses, broken kettles, fans, electrical extensions, lightbulbs etc etc etc. My mother in law seems to be the worst offender, but bless her she works so hard at trying, but even my wife says "I wish she would stop cleaning so much! She makes such a mess and I have to clean it even more now!" Ha only in the Philippines people, only in the Philippines. Still I believe I am blessed! and without a doubt a very very lucky man to have the love of such a wonderful woman, and a daughter who brings joy to my life everyday. My words of advice.... expect the unexpected, be grateful for what you have.... and most important... relax! Life will continue.Love this thread, love this forum, you guys keep me looking forward to reading and contributing every day. Thanks to allCarl