Rental Increase

roy2cebu
Posted
Posted

What is the expected/ normal percentage of rental increase per annum?

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted (edited)
What is the expected/ normal percentage of rental increase per annum?
I cannot speak for all areas, or even homes except those I know rented by friends, but I have found that while property values have gone up in Cebu City, rental prices seem to be staying constant for the last few years because of more and more condos and houses being built and many rented out. Many landlords here are just happy to have good tenants who pay the rent and their bills on time, so if a person pays on time, or even ahead of time, but not by too much, then IMO most landlord might be afraid to rock the cart and possibly end up with a tenant who is troublesome, since there are plenty of those here, as well as plenty of rentals available. Edited by Kuya Lee

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

The maximum legal rent increase is 10% per year but that's just the law. No one seems to pay attention to it, they adjust the rents as they see fit. My experience is, if they like you the rent stays the same, if they think they can do better then they raise the rent whatever they feel like at that time.

Art2ro
Posted
Posted

It all depends weather or not you have a greedy landlord and in what condition your rental is and how much in demand your area is! Your landlord may increase your rent annually by 10%. If you complain about it, the landlord may evict you and find a bigger fish to fry! So, it's up to you really how well you get along with your landlord! If not, get out of Dodge and find better digs and a non-money grubber landlord with a nicer attitude!

gapotwo
Posted
Posted

most of my life in the west i have always rented and had to deal with money grubbin landlords, but soon i will be the landlord many times over, when i get home to pinas.thanks for the info, the rent just went up.:36_1_50[1]: ej.

• 3 months later...
johnb
Posted
Posted (edited)

We haven't raised the rent on our apartments for four years, in fact as most of our tenants seem to be foreigners we just dropped our rent knowing that the peso to Dollar, pound, euro is not so good and we want reliable long-term tenants not short term tenants, this seems to suit everybody.

Edited by johnb

MikeB
Posted
Posted
We haven't raised the rent on our apartments for four years, in fact as most of our tenants seem to be foreigners we just dropped our rent knowing that the peso to Dollar, pound, euro is not so good and we want reliable long-term tenants not short term tenants, this seems to suit everybody.
That is really decent of you. I hope your tenants are appreciative and reciprocate your good deed by paying on time and being cooperative, it's a 2 way street.