Parity For Foreign Senior Citizens Eyed

Art2ro
Posted
Posted (edited)
http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/nation/05/24/11/parity-foreign-senior-citizens-eyed MANILA, Philippines - Representatives Rufus and Maximo Rodriguez have filed House Bill 4369 seeking to grant foreign senior citizens residing in the Philippines the same benefits granted to Filipino senior citizens.In their explanatory note, the Rodriguezes said this is in recognition of the contributions of the foreign senior citizens who have contributed to the economy of the country.If approved, the bill would grant foreign nationals aged 60 above the same benefits given to Filipino senior citizens. This includes discounts in establishments.They may avail of these benefits after they have secured a senior citizens’ ID issued by the Office of Senior Citizens’ Affairs of the place where the elderly is resident, or a Philippine Retirement Authority Identification Card, or an alien certficate of registration i-card or any other document that shows the alien is at least 60 years old and a resident of the Philippines. Is this really true parity?by scfpigs on Wed, 05/25/2011 - 02:23 Since most, if not ALL, foreign expats already make more than the yearly income of the average Filipino senior citizens NOT qualified to have the Senior Citizen Benefits Card, I wonder if they are also going to raise the minimum qualifying level of yearly income ( currently P60,000 or approx $1,305 a year) so that more Filipino seniors would also be included as a matter of fairness.That would be interesting how this bill could be truly reconciled with parity.If higher earning foreign seniors are eyed to be included in this benefits bill the authors should just simply make sure that almost all Filipino seniors (who are most likely lower earners compared to foreign seniors) are also given the the benefits. Fair is fair, di ba? Edited by Art2ro

OldUgly&Cranky
Posted
Posted

I wonder if i would Qualify i may not be 60 years old but i surely feel like it sometimes and i know i look it hahaha O-U-C :AddEmoticons04230:

United Army
Posted
Posted
I wonder if i would Qualify i may not be 60 years old but i surely feel like it sometimes and i know i look it hahaha O-U-C :AddEmoticons04230:
Just your name.. "OldUgly&Cranky" grants you benefits as being Senior....ha ha

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/nation/05/24/11/parity-foreign-senior-citizens-eyed MANILA, Philippines - Representatives Rufus and Maximo Rodriguez have filed House Bill 4369 seeking to grant foreign senior citizens residing in the Philippines the same benefits granted to Filipino senior citizens.In their explanatory note, the Rodriguezes said this is in recognition of the contributions of the foreign senior citizens who have contributed to the economy of the country.If approved, the bill would grant foreign nationals aged 60 above the same benefits given to Filipino senior citizens. This includes discounts in establishments.They may avail of these benefits after they have secured a senior citizens’ ID issued by the Office of Senior Citizens’ Affairs of the place where the elderly is resident, or a Philippine Retirement Authority Identification Card, or an alien certficate of registration i-card or any other document that shows the alien is at least 60 years old and a resident of the Philippines. Is this really true parity?by scfpigs on Wed, 05/25/2011 - 02:23 Since most, if not ALL, foreign expats already make more than the yearly income of the average Filipino senior citizens NOT qualified to have the Senior Citizen Benefits Card, I wonder if they are also going to raise the minimum qualifying level of yearly income ( currently P60,000 or approx $1,305 a year) so that more Filipino seniors would also be included as a matter of fairness.That would be interesting how this bill could be truly reconciled with parity.If higher earning foreign seniors are eyed to be included in this benefits bill the authors should just simply make sure that almost all Filipino seniors (who are most likely lower earners compared to foreign seniors) are also given the the benefits. Fair is fair, di ba?
If we are talking about being fair, then I do not feel it would be fair to include all Filipino senior citizens, since many are also rich, just as it would not be fair to include all foreigner senior citizens since some are rich. Lets face it, not many rich foreigners choose to live in the Philippines, so to be fair, then there would have to be and income requirement set for Filipinos which would be low enough for the average Filipino senior to qualify for, but as far as the older non Filipinos, I believe that income level would have to be higher because of the different lifestyle that most foreigners probably live. Let us also not forget that those foreigners also often spend much more money eating and drinking out, as well as shopping, than most locals do, so if the intent is to continue to stimulate the economy, than higher level of allowed income would mean higher spending in places that help the economy. Then there is going to be a factor of how a foreigner will prove they do not make that much money, since most of us would probably not wish to show our income tax filings from our home countries which might make us targets of crimes in a country such as the Philippines, so IMHO the only fair way is going to be like they do in the US, it really does not matter what a persons income level is, what matters is only their age, for them to get senior discounts, so in the Philippines, if they wish to stimulate the economy more, then the answer is to just give the discount to all senior persons no matter what they category of income, and that would probably include only those tourists who can show a valid acceptable id such as a acr card or retirement visa card, and the heck with income levels. So in closing one of my normally long posts, the heck with all the bs or senior citizen cards, and the only requirement should be a valid acceptable id and those should be limited to senior cards for those senior Filipinos who cannot get, or do not have an id with their age on it, and acr or retirement id's for foreigners. Why waste the money issuing senior cards to those others who already have other acceptable proofs of age for Filipinos, such as drivers licenses. The whole keep it simple should apply, Filipino any valid id, foreigner any valid acr card which should also be issued to those who get retirement visa, and for no additional cost.

Art2ro
Posted
Posted

I'm not certain, but I think the minimum income requirement was removed, because I didn't see it anywhere after the last revision! So, that last comment below the article maybe incorrect to begin with concerning if the parity is true, fair or not! Anyway, let's see if and when the House will pass this bill 4369 and make it another Philippine Republic Act!

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
I'm not certain, but I think the minimum income requirement was removed, because I didn't see it anywhere after the last revision! So, that last comment below the article maybe incorrect to begin with concerning if the parity is true, fair or not! Anyway, let's see if and when the House will pass this bill 4369 and make it another Philippine Republic Act!
Whatever the outcome, IMHO it would be best if they just kept it simple. What does what a person earns, have to do with them deserving a senior discount. I would say that possibly poorer Filipinos deserve a much larger discount, or maybe some assistance of some sort beyond a discount, than foreigners do, but all seniors should get a senior discount and the discount should be simple to get, because when all is said and done, more people will spend more money just to get that darn discount, since people are driven by the thought of a discount. In order to prove that, all one has to do is look at all the stores and all the bs sales they run, which seems to help part people from their money, even when they do not really need what is on sale, because psychologically most people cannot pass up what they believe is a deal. Lets all hope it passes, and that they keep it simple, but either way, lets hope it encourages more spending, so the economy improves, which should be good for all.

brock
Posted
Posted

Anybody think about the business man who has to give this discount, What if the profit doesnt cover the discount ?, It could help put people out of business, its ok for the large business, but not the small businessman.

piglett
Posted
Posted (edited)

how much you earn is one thing however, how much you spend is quite anotherif you are renting a luxury condo in Manila you are going to spend a bunch of cash each monthbut if you own a house in the province & live almost like a local your monthly cash outlay mite be very lowpig

Edited by piglett

stef
Posted
Posted
Anybody think about the business man who has to give this discount, What if the profit doesnt cover the discount ?, It could help put people out of business, its ok for the large business, but not the small businessman.
my understanding of the discount is the business off lays the discount against there tax return so it is paid by the government not the business owner
  • Like 1

Art2ro
Posted
Posted

th_thholysheep.gifIf the House Bill passes, becomes a Republic Act soon and 13a permanent resident foreigners are 60 yrs old and over, I bet they'll all be going to want that 20% foreigner senior citizen discount card after all their whining and moaning in the past of not being illegible! I just don't know about the "parity" concerning as to the minimum income requirement, if there's such a requirement! Just have to wait and find out when the bill passes and becomes law! AddEmoticons04230.gif