Unmarried Mother

brock
Posted
Posted

I have a Filipina friend who is an unmarried mother, She was a school teacher before having the child, She says she cannot return to her work because she is unmarried and that nobody will employ her because of this, Anybody know if this is true ?.

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
I have a Filipina friend who is an unmarried mother, She was a school teacher before having the child, She says she cannot return to her work because she is unmarried and that nobody will employ her because of this, Anybody know if this is true ?.
I have heard this before and the Philippines often looks down on unmarried women who have children and consider them bad examples, and many colleges will not even allow them to attend, so I think it is probably true, and my wife says that it is true and that as long as no one reports them, they will be able to work. Once someone reports them, no more work for them until they marry.In my wife's village, there is an unmarried school teacher with children but no one has reported her because they all like her and it is the boonies, so no one goes to check on her. One word of caution here, there may be a lot of problems if you get involved with a lady with a child if the father is still alive, and it may be almost impossible to bring her child to your country. One friend in the US married a lady with a child and tried, and they never succeeded, and I know other people who have had problems with the father of the child, who wanted nothing to do with the child or the mother until they knew an expat was involved with the mother.

Markham
Posted
Posted

I assume then that the mother has never attempted to get sole-custody of her child. If she did and the child is at least 7 years old, its choice as to which parent it wishes to remain with, it taken very seriously by the court.Mark

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
I assume then that the mother has never attempted to get sole-custody of her child. If she did and the child is at least 7 years old, its choice as to which parent it wishes to remain with, it taken very seriously by the court.Mark
I guess many mothers do not have the resources to do that, and then once the expat comes into the picture, things seem to change. The couple I was talking about, the child was born while the guy was in the Philippines and they lived together and he was not even sure it was not his child, and they wanted to bring the child back with them to the US, but the US refused to allow the child in. They filed all types of papers again once the two of them got back and tried for years and finally gave up. The mother finally divorced him and once she got her citizenship applied on her own and was granted. Now why the heck that happened, I have can only guess. My guess is, it was because he probably started off thinking it was his child and may have filed that way, and the US may have thought he was trying to pull a fast one, and from there on in they would probably never approve it. I also can only guess that his wife was afraid to ask the real fathers permission and waited until the child was older. As for the problems with the father within the Philippines, I have known a few people that happened to, so I guess it might be a common thing when a father thinks he can get some money off the expat, or who knows, maybe the gf and her X were in cahoots. It is just good to be careful and know the possible problem up front IMHO.

daisy
Posted
Posted

In my understanding, a child born outside of wedlock is only a child of his/her mother unless the father will choose to sign the affidavit at the back of the birth certificate acknowledging that he is the father of the child. This is the amended article http://www.familymatters.org.ph/Relevant%2...Surname.htm#topbefore this amendment the child will even carry the mother's name......As regard to the question, our society now recognized single mother status. DSWD will give them protection in case the "father" will take advantage of them in the future. But then again, a woman should know what are her rights and never allow herself to be used. There are government agencies like CHED (Commission on Higher Education) who are granting financial assistance for single mothers. She just have to establish the fact that she is a single mom thru the DSWD Office. Gone are those days were single mothers have no place in this society...... :D

BobNChe
Posted
Posted

Not only in this type scenario, but some companies will not hire a woman if she is married and has children because there is a marked increase in the possibility of absence due to family issues. It is truly a despicable state of affairs that this country has such discriminatory practices!

Sampaguita
Posted
Posted

Yes, life would be very hard for an unwed mother in our country.

volstateguy
Posted
Posted

Even tho I was only a short while I saw some discrimination as well. While I was in Bohol I needed to break a 500 peso note to pay the driver of the trike I had just taken. Mcdonalds was right there so I went in to buy a burger real quick so I could pay the driver. Anyway to the point...there were "now hiring" flyers up in McDonalds. They were requesting single females ages 18-23. I couldn't believe it. You know if that was hanging in McDonalds or really anywhere in the states, that someone is going to get sued for discrimination :th_thholysheep:

TheMason
Posted
Posted (edited)
Even tho I was only a short while I saw some discrimination as well. While I was in Bohol I needed to break a 500 peso note to pay the driver of the trike I had just taken. Mcdonalds was right there so I went in to buy a burger real quick so I could pay the driver. Anyway to the point...there were "now hiring" flyers up in McDonalds. They were requesting single females ages 18-23. I couldn't believe it. You know if that was hanging in McDonalds or really anywhere in the states, that someone is going to get sued for discrimination :th_thholysheep:
I don't think ads lacking a minimum breast size requirement can be considered discriminatory. Edited by TheMason

PhilIsles
Posted
Posted

unwed single mothers have a very difficult life if the father of the child does not help/support her and it can be more difficult if her own family disown/abandoned her for being unwed mother. It is a double jeopardy for her. She is totally on her own.