Why Do People Leave Their Own Countries For The Pi?

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

Why do people leave their own countries for the Philippines?What do they see in the Philippines that they did not find at home?A lot of people seem to ask, why do people move to the Philippines, and what is it that people like about the Philippines, but I think that is only half of the equation, and I think the other half is why do people leave their country of origin to live in the Philippines? I know, I know, the women and the beer is the standard answer to why some people love the Philippines, but there has to be more than just that? Many of us are happily married, so it is not just the women, but it could be the beer, but we could also find that back home. Maybe there is also some nostalgia involved, and some parts of the Philippines is like going back in time and has a quaint charm, but how is it so different from where you came from to make us long to be there once we have tasted the culture?Maybe finding some of those answers might help others to better understand what is the great attraction many of us find in the Philippines.

• Like 1

TheMason
Posted
Posted
Why do people leave their own countries for the Philippines?What do they see in the Philippines that they did not find at home?A lot of people seem to ask, why do people move to the Philippines, and what is it that people like about the Philippines, but I think that is only half of the equation, and I think the other half is why do people leave their country of origin to live in the Philippines? I know, I know, the women and the beer is the standard answer to why some people love the Philippines, but there has to be more than just that? Many of us are happily married, so it is not just the women, but it could be the beer, but we could also find that back home. Maybe there is also some nostalgia involved, and some parts of the Philippines is like going back in time and has a quaint charm, but how is it so different from where you came from to make us long to be there once we have tasted the culture?Maybe finding some of those answers might help others to better understand what is the great attraction many of us find in the Philippines.
My wife prefers to remain in the Philippines close to her family rather than relocate to the US. She has a son and it would be problematic to get him a visa to emigrate to the US. She would relocate to the US if that's what I decided to do, but I don't want to take her away from her son. I don't have a strong preference for where we live and I can work from anywhere there is an Internet connection, so the Philippines is fine with me.I enjoy a level of financial freedom in the Philippines that would not be possible in the US. My monthly expenses in the US were about $3500. In the Philippines, they are about $500. I do have a decreased standard of living in the RP, but that doesn't bother me. The standard of living decreased but my quality of life increased significantly. The simplified lifestyle I have here suits me well. I enjoy a tranquility and peace of mind now that I never experienced in the US. It's like that line from Forrest Gump....'Lt. Dan says I don't have to worry about money anymore. And that's good. One less thing.'I feel free in the Philippines in a way I never did in the US. I haven't figured out why I feel this way yet, but I think it's got to do with the govt. here. There's something to be said for a govt. that doesn't really care too much about what people do. It makes life more dangerous when you live in a largely lawless society, but it also gives me a feeling of freedom that is invaluable.I've always liked learning about other cultures and ways of life. Even before I became an expat I was always reading about foreign cultures and learning as much as I could about how other people look at life and order their affairs. I look at everything about the Philippines, good and bad, as a learning opportunity. Some of the lessons are good, others not so much, but everything teaches me something. It is this constant education and personal growth that gives my life meaning and makes it interesting. The Philippines is not the first foreign country I've lived in and I'm pretty sure it will not be my last. The thrill of assimilating a foreign culture is so much fun that I'll keep doing it for as long as I can.
  • Like 1

Mik
Posted
Posted

Politics in Portland was getting too silly. People would actually vote to increase their taxes. Cost too much to live there, too many laws and too much violence. In Cebu taxes and insurance are very low. People are nice here. Respect for God is still common. For only P250 I can buy a bottle of 15 year old rum. A bottle of good gin is only about P130. The climate is nice here if you don't mind sweating. And no worries about the water pipes freezing up in the winter. Besides, I lived over half a century in one country so why not try another for a change.

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Some have to leave their home country to escape legal problems or the like. Not as much as in the past though. Could it be economics and a warm climate? Retired on a fixed income makes RP look sweet.The hot girls and cold beer brings some guys. How many single western women do you see living in the Philippines?

Sampaguita
Posted
Posted

From what I see, the Philippines is no longer inexpensive to live. I love the US but the Philippines with all its faults is home.

Guardian
Posted
Posted

The US sucked before and it will surey suck worse now. I want out ASAP because this new guy is going to give away everything to the poor.

tom_shor
Posted
Posted
The US sucked before and it will surey suck worse now. I want out ASAP because this new guy is going to give away everything to the poor.
Then they will be rich and he can raise their taxes. Bet they never thought of that. :D :thumbsup: