The Reign Of The Idiots

Americano
Posted
Posted (edited)

I was told that some people get upset when I talk about idiots so I will let a Filipino News Reporter do it this time.

This is another good example of Government Officials who believe laws and rules do not apply to them so they risk the public's health by violating rules that everyone must follow.

The reign of the idiots

By ELLEN T. TORDESILLAS

I’M staggered by the justifications of Health Acting Secretary Janet Garin and Armed Forces Chief Gregorio Pio Catapang of their visit to the quarantined peacekeepers in Caballo Island in Cavite which Malacañang approves.

Garin and Catapang have drawn flak for what many see as violation of the idea of quarantine.

The peacekeepers from Ebola-stricken Liberia are on 21-day quarantine, an international procedure to prevent the deadly virus from spreading.

More than 5,000 have died from Ebola which is raging in West African countries notably Liberia, Sierra Leone, and Guinea. Several cases of the disease manifesting after persons, mostly health workers ,from West Africa have returned to their countries like the United States.

Garin and Catapang went to Caballo Island Sunday (Nov. 16), with a photographer, not wearing Personal Protective Equipment.

Anthony Leachon, president of the Philippine College of Physicians said, ““It was a breach of protocol — quarantine is an enforced isolation during the 21-day incubation period” of the virus.”

Leachon said the visit of the two officials in Caballo Island “sends a wrong signal” as the DOH and medical and health organizations embark on an intensive information campaign on precautionary measures to prevent the spread of Ebola, in case it comes to the country.

Garin said she went there to make sure that the peacekeepers were provided with proper facilities and medical treatment while on quarantine.  She is that hands-on?

A good executive would be able to accomplish that objective without personally going there. In this age of mobile phones, a personal visit to the island is unnecessary.  But of course, if she didn’t go there, she and Catapang would not be in the news.

They need to be in the news as preparation for their 2016 election agenda.

As to their non-use of the PEE, Garin said it was not necessary since none of the peacekeepers was showing symptoms of Ebola.  But Ebola’s incubation period is 21 days, thus the quarantine requirement.

In the case of Thomas Eric Duncan, a taxi driver in Liberia who helped carry an Ebola victim, Marthalene Williams, to the hospital on Sept. 15, he developed fever only nine days after when he was already in the United States.

Garin said PPEs are expensive and limited in supply. “We are saving the PPE as the need arises. It is better that we have the PPE available when we already need them.”

Then, why did she and Catapang have to go to Caballo island? The soldiers, trained for adverse situations, would not have minded at all even if they didn’t come.  Of course, again, there’s the photo-op which those with higher political ambitions find hard to resist.  But the classic reason was that of Catapang, head of the country’s 20,000-strong armed forces. He said it was Garin’s idea to visit the peacekeepers and since the acting health secretary said it was okay, then it was okay.

There’s a word for what they are and what they did. It starts with “I”. The synonym starts with “S”. In tagalog, the word starts with “T.”

Edited by Americano
  • Like 2

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

I was told that some people get upset when I talk about idiots so I will let a Filipino News Reporter do it this time.

post-1293-0-77160600-1416923555_thumb.jp           post-1293-0-62310800-1416923580.jpg

I too read and saw those pictures,

Wonder why this "outstanding, appears to be educated" person would do this?

as it could put himself as others at HIGH RISK?

More PINOY PRIDE?( as he wanted to show his support to the troops? or a lack of Iodine or access to sunshine and Vitamin D)

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
As to their non-use of the PEE, Garin said it was not necessary since none of the peacekeepers was showing symptoms of Ebola.  But Ebola’s incubation period is 21 days, thus the quarantine requirement.

From what I have read of Ebola, this makes perfect sense.  If none of the peacekeepers is showing signs then they do not spread the disease.  The idea of the quarantine is to keep an eye on everyone IN CASE someone shows signs.

So the only idiot I see here is the fear mongering reporter.  American media were doing that fear mongering thing for a while but even CNN has toned it down to a common sense level.

• Like 1

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

The only reason why Garin and Catapang went there was to be "epals" - to be photographed. 

There was obviously a breach of quarantine - indeed it makes a nonsense of the whole thing.

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

The position of (interim) Secretary of Health is political, not medical. Never mind medical protocol.

• Like 3

Americano
Posted
Posted

From what I have read of Ebola, this makes perfect sense.  If none of the peacekeepers is showing signs then they do not spread the disease.  The idea of the quarantine is to keep an eye on everyone IN CASE someone shows signs.

So the only idiot I see here is the fear mongering reporter.  American media were doing that fear mongering thing for a while but even CNN has toned it down to a common sense level.

Dave,

If the 21 day quarantine was complete then the quarantined people would have been allowed to go home but the quarantine was not complete therefore there was still a danger of anyone visiting them without proper protective equipment to become infected. 

I have seen several medical people say that Ebola is not easy to contract but many medical people have contracted it and don't even know why.

I believe the reporter is spot on.  Maybe Idiots doing something stupid is a better description.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
If the 21 day quarantine was complete then the quarantined people would have been allowed to go home but the quarantine was not complete therefore there was still a danger of anyone visiting them without proper protective equipment to become infected.

Correct me if I am wrong, but the big E is passed via bodily fluids. For example, someone coughs into their hand, and spittle is on the hand and then they shake hands with someone and that person then rubs an eye or picks their nose or picks their teeth the infection might spread. (might be a bad example but hopefully passes the idea). In all the news clips I saw the visiting officials were "bumping elbows". I did not observe any skin to skin contact.

but many medical people have contracted it and don't even know why.

I did see a thing by Dr. Gupta on CNN that explained how they believe the health care workers are getting infected. It is most likely (in their opinion) happening when they are removing their PPE, and somehow touching infected clothing while taking off layer upon layer of equipment. They did this by using a dye and at the end of removal they observed small splotches of die on previously uninfected skin.

What got me the most was the reporters repeatedly asking. "well if the officials can visit! Why cant the families". Well pretty obvious to this humble expat. The officials were "bumping elbows". Family members would naturally hug, kiss and other more intimate actions :mocking: .

The only reason why Garin and Catapang went there was to be "epals" - to be photographed.

Nothing new here, Upon returning from Iraq, my unit was "visited" by two Congress critters. As soon as the cameras were gone, so were they :cheersty:

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

I was thinking along the same lines as Scott.

Going there for a photo op is just playing politics and everyone does it.  Stupid but that is politics.  Some go into dangerous war zones too.

As long as they are not touching then there is little risk, according to what I have read and what Scott posted.  It can even be passed in sweat to an open wound, but they say in all cases they carrier would already be showing symptoms, and be sickly, before they would be contagious.

If I really needed a photo op I would not even be bumping elbows!  Nothing wrong with a wave or salute from 6 feet away!

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
Correct me if I am wrong, but the big E is passed via bodily fluids

I doubt any of us know enough about the definitive way that Ebola is passed, but I can confirm watching a CNN episode where an infected person was being transported by plane and all the personnel except one were all suited up.  The commentators said the one person was a control.  They said it was part of the plan to have one person not suited up and he was in no danger.  So its good enough for WHO.

Americano
Posted
Posted (edited)
Another peackeeper became sick and was transported to a hospital so to say none of the Peackeepers were sick was premature.

Sick peacekeeper airlifted from island f1c4b690-3dc5-11e4-83db-b96af41d1882_STABy By Jaime Laude | Philippine Star – 12 hours ago

• Sick peacekeeper airlifted from island

Another Filipino peacekeeper under quarantine on Caballo Island in Cavite has been airlifted to a hospital in Quezon City after complaining of chest pain.

The unnamed peacekeeper, who came from the Ebola-infested West African state of Liberia, was brought Monday night to the AFP Medical Center for further examination.

Last week, another peacekeeper had to be isolated from the rest of his colleagues on Caballo Island because of sore throat.

Earlier, a third peacekeeper was airlifted to the Research Institute for Tropical Medicine (RITM) in Muntinlupa City due to fever and chilling. He was later diagnosed as suffering from malaria.

He returned to Caballo last Friday morning after being discharged from RITM.

Four Filipino peacekeepers left behind in Liberia to oversee the shipping of their equipment from Monrovia returned last Saturday and were made to undergo the mandatory 21-day quarantine, not on Caballo Island but at the AFP Medical Center.

Lt. Col. Harold Cabunoc, AFP Public Affairs Office chief, confirmed the presence of the four peacekeepers at the main military hospital, but declined to discuss why they were being quarantined separately from their colleagues on Caballo, an island naval base.

“They were taken to V. Luna and they are all staying in one room,” Cabunoc said, referring to the four peacekeepers who arrived at 11 p.m. Saturday in Manila on a commercial fight.

The four were also given clearance to travel after being declared “risk-free” after undergoing a United Nations-supervised Ebola virus screening. They went straight from the airport to the hospital to undergo quarantine procedures in accordance with instructions from the Department of the Health (DOH).

Col. Roberto Ancan, commander of the AFP Peacekeeping Operation Center (AFP-POC), said the AFP is following DOH instruction that the four be quarantined at the main military hospital in Quezon City.

“With regard to quarantine procedure and the duration of their stay at (AFP-MC), it is already beyond us as it is now within the domain of DOH. The DOH can answer other questions,” Ancan said.

Earlier, acting Health Secretary Janette Garin drew flak for violating the DOH’s own protocol by visiting the 133 troops on Caballo without protective suit, along with AFP chief Gen. Gregorio Pio Catapang. She said she made the visit to assure the soldiers of DOH support. She assured the public she could not get infected since none of the soldiers had shown signs of infection anyway.

Edited by Americano