Yoga For Seniors

RBM
Posted
Posted

My GF has just started doing yoga for beginners here at home via some you tube videos. We are both reasonably fit and in good health. Although she appeared to have no problem going through the exercises I unfortunately did. 

From what i read if one is unable to sit and stand up with out any support, in other words one must have hands on legs one must seek alternative yoga classes. In this simple  exercise I failed miserably, the price of being a  senior no doubt. 

Did some you tube searches but could not find much, bit of a computer dummy so perhaps someone out there knows of a link or has tips to help out. 

Thanks in advance.

• Like 1

frosty (chris)
Posted
Posted (edited)

My GF has just started doing yoga for beginners here at home via some you tube videos. We are both reasonably fit and in good health. Although she appeared to have no problem going through the exercises I unfortunately did. 

From what i read if one is unable to sit and stand up with out any support, in other words one must have hands on legs one must seek alternative yoga classes. In this simple  exercise I failed miserably, the price of being a  senior no doubt. 

Did some you tube searches but could not find much, bit of a computer dummy so perhaps someone out there knows of a link or has tips to help out. 

Thanks in advance.

Just Googled yoga and there a heaps of links to Yoga for Beginners, you can always just sit and watch your g/f or better still watch her while having a beer and tell her you are exercising your right arm, works for me :cheersty:

Edited by frosty (chris)
  • Like 1

RBM
Posted
Posted

Thanks in advance.

Just Googled yoga and there a heaps of links to Yoga for Beginners, you can always just sit and watch your g/f or better still watch her while having a beer and tell her you are exercising your right arm, works for me :cheersty:

Yup think that the best way....

Most of the beginner courses relate to positions I am unable to obtain....The watching and beer sounds better.

• Like 1

earthdome
Posted
Posted

Perhaps if you spend some time learning how to stretch and make yourself more limber before trying to do yoga.

• Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted

Or Chi gong as many old chinese do to be in good shape.

• Like 1

Curley
Posted
Posted
We are both reasonably fit and in good health. Although she appeared to have no problem going through the exercises I unfortunately did.

Maybe you need a fitness assessment?  try this

http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/fitness_articles.asp?id=1202&page=2

• Like 2

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

My wife teaches on a volunteer basis Yoga for Seniors. For the elderly, she has a series of exercises while sitting in a chair (or wheelchair). I have been encouraging to start a website, but her response is, "Sounds like work to me." We are retired.

Curley
Posted
Posted

My wife teaches on a volunteer basis Yoga for Seniors. For the elderly, she has a series of exercises while sitting in a chair (or wheelchair). I have been encouraging to start a website, but her response is, "Sounds like work to me." We are retired.

Which part sounds like work? Building the website, keeping it going or just the mere thought of it?

I can build you a simple website FOC  Just to encourage folks to get a little more active.

• Like 1

earthdome
Posted
Posted

Much easier than a website is just record a video while she leads a class and explains the what and how. Then upload the video to youtube.

• Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted (edited)

I will mention the offers of assistance to my wife. At the moment we are traveling in Arizona. Best time to do it is next year when we visit Honolulu. Her senior yoga students are eagerly waiting for our return.

Edited by JJReyes