Baler

jon1
Posted
Posted

My buddy and I just went there with our significant others. It was a great time and I recommend it for anyone wanting to get away from it all. Nice waves and beaches. If you hang out where the surfers are it is very affordable.

Check out my blog entry http://www.lifeinsubic.com/2015/03/baler-road-trip.htmlfor all of the details.

Cheers!  :cheersty:

• Like 4

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Great trip report!  Gotta get over there!

• Like 1

mogo51
Posted
Posted

I agree, looks like a nice spot.

• Like 1

chris49
Posted
Posted

My buddy and I just went there with our significant others. It was a great time and I recommend it for anyone wanting to get away from it all. Nice waves and beaches. If you hang out where the surfers are it is very affordable.

Check out my blog entry http://www.lifeinsubic.com/2015/03/baler-road-trip.htmlfor all of the details.

Cheers!  :cheersty:

Phenomenal. We do know about it, but I'm impressed by the upmarket facilities, hotel and restaurant, the one's you mentioned.  I assume you could have done it even cheaper.

Baler, Aurora...on the Typhoon coast, so I think July to November should be avoided.

Great report,

• Like 2

jon1
Posted
Posted

Yes we could have done it much cheaper if we had stayed in one of the transient houses or surf resorts. They are no frills and very low budget. You could probably stay in one of those for 1000p per night and up. 

I would avoid going there in the rainy season as the mountain travel could be dangerous (landslides) and as you mentioned the typhoons. Baler is in a low lying area and would be easily flooded by storm surge. February is peak season as the waves are at their best then.

• Like 2

jpbago
Posted
Posted

Coincidentally, this article on Baler is in today's Manila Times:

http://www.manilatimes.net/to-the-east-is-baler/167405/

• Like 1

bows00
Posted
Posted

So cool... this opens up a whole new picture for my retirement in the Philippines. I thought my surfing days were numbered, but I can see myself spending month there - surf, sand... did you see any Filipina bikini's anywhere?

• Like 1

jon1
Posted
Posted

There were a few girls there trying to surf. 

From what I have gathered from friends, there are several surfing locations in the Philippines. La Union (Luzon West Coast), Baler (Luzon East Coast), Siargao Island (Northeast of Surigao City by boat) and Samar East Coast. Samar and Siargao are harder to get to. The surf is dependent on the weather and wind.

• Like 1

chris49
Posted
Posted (edited)

So cool... this opens up a whole new picture for my retirement in the Philippines. I thought my surfing days were numbered, but I can see myself spending month there - surf, sand... did you see any Filipina bikini's anywhere?

Yes, well...the area that Jon visited is not a place to live. Nice but besieged by bad weather at least 6 months of the year.

There were a few girls there trying to surf. 

From what I have gathered from friends, there are several surfing locations in the Philippines. La Union (Luzon West Coast), Baler (Luzon East Coast), Siargao Island (Northeast of Surigao City by boat) and Samar East Coast. Samar and Siargao are harder to get to. The surf is dependent on the weather and wind.

I will shamelessly plug our place, Ilocos Sur, including northern areas, Laoag, Ilocos Norte up to Pagupud at the northern tip (white sand). No surf way up north though.

We do have 3-4 foot surf here consistently rolling in, 4-5 months a year. I'm 65. I will lose the knack for body surfing after a few months off, but I can get in back in a few sessions. I body surf a few days/week and if no surf I will swim out 600 to a buoy and back. I reckon it's great but each to his own. Cloud 9, Surigao is legendary to Aussies and they all talk about it back home. Too big, too advanced for my skills.

No resorts dominating beach access here. Around Subic, I had to spend 300 to get a decent swim and pay for my wife even if she didn't swim, nice facility though. But nah, all free up north. Today is Sunday, I might see 20 people on the beach. Other days none. The absolute maximum would be 50 on a holiday.Warm water too, even in winter.

Edited by chris49
  • Like 3