Home Schooling, Online Schooling?

Thomas
Posted
Posted
Are there any Expats home schooling their children?
I know a mixed German-Filipina couple doing it, because the Filipina, who is TEACHER, found the Filipino schools to bad   :)

So she started teaching their two kids AND a few of their friends.

The BARANGAY found her school so good so they RECOMEND it to others WITHOUT ASKING them!!!  :lol:

Now their "home schooling" has grown to ten teachers and 75 kids   :dance:  :thumbsup:   

Are there any Expats home schooling their children?
I have thought of that.  If I don't settle close to the above school, I plan to have a MIX with normal school most of the time to get friends, and at home 1-2 days per week depending of how much they need. In the home schooling I will only bother about a few of the most important subjects, perhaps only mathematics plus teaching them the THINK themselves. Filipino public schools are GOOD at teaching languages normaly, so I suppouse I don't need to bother home schooling such.

(A Filipina I know said her 7 year old daughter is bad at reading, so she try to make the daughter exersise more. I thought she ment the daughter's FIRST language, but it was her THIRD language...  :lol:     (Third =English.  I suppouse the daughter has problem reading English because some letters are pronounced much DIFFERENT in English than they are in Cebuano/Tagalog -and Swedish   :)   The mother was curious how to say some Swedish words, so I made a test and let her read SWEDISH text loud WITHOUT any preparing. It wasn't perfect, but no problem understanding what she said...)

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

My kids are grown now but I was a single dad.  I home schooled them for high school (they home schooled themselves while as at work, really).  We used American School.  It is a correspondence program that came highly recommended through a home school organization their private school was part of. (church run private school using home school materials). 

Since it is a correspondence course it is completely self paced.  My daughter finished in just over 2 years, my son took 5. 

The mail is slow to the Philippines, but could be done from here and you get a diploma from a fully accredited school in Lansing, Illinois.  A number of performers have used it (like Donny & Marie, Jessica Alba, and the Everly Brothers)

• Like 2

Thomas
Posted
Posted
The mail is slow to the Philippines, but could be done from here
Can't it be done through Internet nowadays?

(Sweden have tutor lead distance education through Internet for Elementary and High School, plus some pre-High School courses.)

• Like 2

GregZ
Posted
Posted

Thomas, what techniques/aids do you use to teach young people to "THINK for themselves"? I started to ask to be a smart Alec, but really am curious how to go about that. I learned to figure things out on my own because I was mostly left alone when young. That meant either figure it out or be lost for me; I did not like the latter option.

Thomas
Posted
Posted

Thomas, what techniques/aids do you use to teach young people to "THINK for themselves"? I started to ask to be a smart Alec, but really am curious how to go about that. I learned to figure things out on my own because I was mostly left alone when young. That meant either figure it out or be lost for me; I did not like the latter option.

Swedish schools in general do that  (different good/bad) teaching students to tell their oppinions and NOT being affraid of teachers. Perhaps that's why SOME teachers have disciplin problems   :mocking:   because they don't have the skill to keep disciplin enough and keep kids MOTIVATED.

Small kids WANT to learn things - before many school systems DETROY that  :bash:   MOTIVATION by making school more fun, and grow self asteam are the keys to make students LEARN and - dare to - think themselves. (E g there are many (half) lies in history books, and now with Internet it's EXTRA important to read things THINKING how likely it's true...)

Some DANISH schools are extreemly GOOD at the whole package. (=The teacher read a NOVEL for the kids. Afterwards the STUDENTS tell what that novel made them wanting to learn more about. The teachers are allowed to GUIDE the students a bit. but are ONLY allowed to pick among what the students suggested, so the teachers have hard work making it suit to the national school plan  :)   but they let the students decide the ORDER to learn things.  When the teachers have picked what the students will need to get done in the next 2 weeks period, then the STUDENTS decide their own order. Almost all went to the library first, NOT started with drawing or such. After each 2 week period, each student give "grades" to HIMSELF, which they do very fair!  (Type:  "This part I did good, but this part I did spend to litle time at.") The shown school has no bullying and the older students assist the younger ones VOLONTARINGLY and there are teachers available in each classroom (different for different SUBJECT, NOT split by AGE.) They are NOT High school students, they are 6-12 years old. Even the youngest PLANED GOOD! )

(Many years ago I were substitute teacher between I did quit an employment and waited to get a locality to start my own business in an other city.   Students are used to missbehave when they get substitute teachers, but I started by "shocking" them by but on music and try to guess who sing two of the four songs. By that I made they had to be rather quite :)  and they saw fun things could happen with me as teacher. Normaly they hot some loud a while. After a while I just gave them the thought it could be MORE FUN that just being loud. Then it didn't take long time until the STUDENTS made their class mates become quite, so I didn't need to :lol:

Mostly I had 6 graders, which that old school system had made LOST their motivation to study. I made them get that back by:

/Showing school can be FUN. (E g instead of doing a normal oral test, I made it as a back then popular TV quiss.)

/Praise the least skilled students too, when they try good.  *

/Each morning I gave them both group and individual goals what they had to get done that day, and when we got it done before the school day ended we did something fun as e g have class championships in few-in-line or armwrestling.

Before lunch the first day we were some behind because I let them be loud a while, but when they got it, we catched up before the day ended. The following days we got MORE done than the normal classes, although we did something ELSE the last 1-2 lessons!  So destroyed motivations are repairable.

*Most schools make students LOSE self asteam by comparing all students with them with BEST knowledge, which make onlt a few students in each class get improved self asteam by the system   :1 (103):  This can be SOLVED by comparing each student NOT with the group, but with what EACH student has done earlier. Preferingly SHOWING each student their improvements graphicaly.

• Like 2

GregZ
Posted
Posted

Too bad you would be an exception to the teaching I received. I struggled through school as it was severely boring being held to the pace of the slowest in the group, suffered bullying on a daily basis and NEVER felt comfortable at school. I joined the army on my 17th birthday. I found a good environment to thrive in there. ????????

• Like 4

Thomas
Posted
Posted

Too bad you would be an exception to the teaching I received. I struggled through school as it was severely boring being held to the pace of the slowest in the group, suffered bullying on a daily basis and NEVER felt comfortable at school. I joined the army on my 17th birthday. I found a good environment to thrive in there.

I thought it's MORE bullying in the American army too?   :)   In the army some people get PAY to be bullies... :bash:

Back when I were substitute teacher, most teachers - instead of copying how I did :1 (103):  - they DIDN'T like I made my students liking the school again, because THEIR students became jelous  :lol:

I were bored too when I were student myself, specialy in one of my BEST subjects, mathematic, because teacher didn't let me be more than 2 chapters ahead of the others, so the lessons during my first 6 school years I spend mainly making cars of erasers and thumbtacks. A realy WASTE of time...  :1 (103):    But I suppouse it was much WORSE for the students, who were bad at mathematics...

One of my friends is a very good teacher in mathematics and physics at High School level. He has to do much repairing of what other teachers have messed up. Some schools have started noticing that, so now he get good pay per hour to raise grades at students, so the SCHOOLS get better average results.  But he has got tired of the stupid messy often changed grading system in Sweden, so he think of follow me moving to Phils.

In Phils I suppouse the Internet will be bad where I settle rural, but I plan to do (some of) the home school teaching myself anyway.   The goal is to teach my kids to be good at teaching THEMSELVES as I have done mainly, so they can do most of the study themselves, just ask me or my wife when they need tutoring. I will work from home mostly anyway. I hope they don't chose to specialice in a subject, which I can't   :mocking:

• Like 2

GregZ
Posted
Posted

I thought it's MORE bullying in the American army too? :) In the army some people get PAY to be bullies... :bash:

I had no experience with bullies in the army. Probably because they found me quite intelligent and a hard worker so I could make things happen that everyone around me liked. [emoji12] I worked in supply, so all wanted to befriend me.

• Like 1