How Did You Become An Expat Living In Philippines?

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

What was the event or epiphany in your life that caused you to become an Expat living in Philippines?

• Like 1

luke
Posted
Posted

Arrived here on an expat job in the 90's and managed to stay on till today.

Currently living & working in Makati, because of the right work environment, I plan to move to Subic or elsewhere after retirement, away from Metro Manila. 

• Like 3

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted

Being an old timer here now, let me check the calendar... yup, almost 24 hours now, I can tell you how I got here.

First, I realized I had enough to live comfortably in another country. Decided on Central or South America and was flipping a coin between Panama and Columbia. Went down to Guatemala last year to meet a friend and as a trial run. Many expats there said I needed to experience the Phils before deciding where to land permanently. I liked Guatemala enough I went back home and sold everything last May, except for what I can carry in one backpack and one suitcase.

Fully mobile and with nothing but time I visited several US Parks out west, ending up in Alaska. Upon buying my ticket to the Phils I found stopping in Hong Kong was cheaper ($300 USD cheaper to buy separate ticket to and then from HK on Delta) than a layover in Hong Kong and ended up staying there a few months - which was yesterday. 

As a veteran I was going to go to Manila/Angeles but after much reading and asking questions I first switched to Cebu then to Dumaguete/Valencia as places that are a better match to my particular wants/needs/desires.

• Like 4

DavidK
Posted
Posted

I married a Filipina. :thumbsup:

• Like 5

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted

I married a Filipina. :thumbsup:

:tiphat: Occam's Razor. /  Cause & Effect.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...