U Tube Documentary Recommendation

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

Nice thing about U tube is that you can come back to it at anytime

Just got done watching a BBC (best documentary producers IMHO) about the History of the English language. Seven 1 hour episodes. Very well done and really informative. Goes in depth about why we talk and write the way we do.

And if your a history buff like I am goes into the origin of the language. Took me a couple of weeks to watch it all. But really worth it. :cheersty:  

• Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Are we forgetting anything?  :)

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
BBC (best documentary producers IMHO) about the History of the English language

For those who may also be interested, is this the beginning episode?

• Like 1

expatuk2014
Posted
Posted

Excuse me ! me was born in good old blighty soz I thinks I no how to speeks and writes the Queenies English ! :lol:

its the rest of the universe that needs to do ze learnings on how to read and write ze Enlieesh language !

espec the Americans who have ze nerve to call petrol gas !

And to call Parrafine Kerosene why did you not keep to the written engleesh ?

• Like 4

Jake
Posted
Posted

BBC (best documentary producers IMHO) about the History of the English language

For those who may also be interested, is this the beginning episode?

I'm still trying to find the BBC documentary of Filipino English after birth of a language.........

• Like 3

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
Filipino English

You know Jake I was kind of surprised there was not a section about how American English developed in the Philippines, they covered the Caribbean, India, Singapore and Australia. But they did such a good job explaining the evolution of the language a person can get the idea about why and how Filipinos use certain words and phrases that seem strange or out of place to Brits and Americans. :no:

I no how to speeks and writes the Queenies English !

Believe it or not, they go into depth about how English in Britain is so diverse (because that is where the language developed and grew) that at one point British scholars (in the late 1700's) actually said that to hear English spoken correctly a person would need to go to the American colonies to hear and read the language spoken in its purest form. (then those pesky rebels got involved)

Like I said, its a pretty interesting show :cheersty:

• Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Are we forgetting anything?  :)

OK ,I am quoting myself to give a bit of a hint to the OP. Post the damn youtube video you are refering too.  :lol:

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
Post the damn youtube video

Welp Jolly, there are 7 episodes. I figured if someone was interested in it they would just use the in built search feature in U-tube. My bad.

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Post the damn youtube video

Welp Jolly, there are 7 episodes. I figured if someone was interested in it they would just use the in built search feature in U-tube. My bad.

Well the problem is, what exactly is the title of the videos as in what you're referring too as I can not see it here in the topic. Dave posted one and asked if its it but I don't see an answer?   :)

• Like 1