If There Were One More Thing You Could Change ......

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted

Frustrating and dismaying at times...

• Like 3

mogo51
Posted
Posted

A good post and how true.  Last time I was in Manila with SO we were walking to a train through flyovers that have been turned into 

'piss points' by locals - stunk of urine.  Never see any public toilets and litter everywhere.

Back to Thailand 'samesame.  Walking past a woman yesterday taking food out of a plastic bag and just dropped in on the ground.

There are rubbish bins here but nowhere near enough.  Go onto the back streets, vacant land strewn with rubbish = sad.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

About trash cans.

I have seen areas where there are sufficient trash cans, along the boulevard in Dumaguete is one such place, but those trash bins usually get the trash scattered within minutes of someone putting any in.  This is caused by stray dogs, stray cats, rats, street kids, and adult beggars who each see the trash can as a source of treasure.  I also notice that when some civic minded person tried to put on lids to keep the stray animals out then people did not bother to open the lids to deposit their trash and other people ripped the lids off as they wanted easier access to their 'treasure'.  Thus I believe that more trash cans will solve nothing except to make tourists feel better about where they deposit their trash.

Again, on trash, I used to believe it was better to carry trash home and give it to the garbage collector, until I realized that many trash sites are on the shore of the ocean, or in some cases loaded into boats and dumped at sea so all the trash washes up back on the beach anyway.  Still it makes me feel better to give my trash to the garbage men.

What would I change?  I would change the way Filipino people view their country and their culture from "This is Philippines and this is how we do it here" to "This is Philippines, love it, respect the environment, and prosecute those who do not (even the very rich ones)".

• Like 3

Mike S
Posted
Posted (edited)

I couldn't agree more with the OP.  For a country that pretends to be so proud, there's very little substance to that.  We had a big regional sporting event here a week ago, and this photo made the news.  Sadly, none of the locals or visitors probably even noticed how ridiculous this building looks as a backdrop.  That's typhoon damage from 2 years ago.

14toitx.jpg

I can't see your picture the link is broken .... at least for me ..... not surprised that Leyte is still in shambles ..... while tons of money and supplies were sent to the Philippines the majority of which was to be used in Leyte the hardest hit .... the government there unfortunately is not for the Liberal Party so the biggest share of what was supposed to be sent there was withheld or so I was told ..... real shame but that is how politics works .... always the little people that suffer ....  :angry: :th_unfair: .... JMHO

Edited by Mike S
  • Like 1