A Hospital Trip In Pattaya

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Needed to get some meds for back problem and other stuff which are out of the park here cost wise in pharmacies.

So a light bulb went on and I decided to go to public hospital and see what happens.

3 farangs amongst hundreds of Thais. 

Got my number, went into the 'cattleyard' and waited and waited.  One and a half hours later, got to see a 

young female doctor.  I took my medical report from Oz and packets of the tablets that I had ran out of.

I was quoted 3400bht at a pharmacy for just one of the 4 different meds I need.

She was quite efficient, speed read my report but obviously understood, asked a few questions and with speed on the computer that I can only dream of, ordered my meds, gave me a smile and said ' go to pharmacy across the hall please'.  Another half an hour and I walked out with meds albeit different brands but same working ingredients, cost 620 bht for a month supply, including my doctor visit!!!  So dropped a tip into the collection box in appreciation.

Out in 2 hours, a good experience I think.

:thumbsup:  Very Good Ron but Hang on to that memory Cos, It would be a very long time ( if at all) you would get that sort of Service here at even SMUC, that's about the best Private we got, our Provincial Hospital would probably have difficulty in reading the report.

Hmmmmmmmmm maybe that's a bit unfair But I would hazard a guess they would Refer you.

Jack  :unsure:

Morning All :morning1:

• Like 2

afathertobe
Posted
Posted

I too have come to appreciate the Thai health care system, both public and private. Think it's a lot better than any Asian country I've ever been to. 

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

When you get to the Philippines you can save a LOT of money by getting your meds from "Generics Pharmacy".  They have offices all over the Philippines.  You can check them on Google to see if they carry the meds you require.  I suppose that this being the Philippines the brands and prices may be a little out of date and/or out of stock, but it will give you an idea of what to expect.

• Like 1

jpbago
Posted
Posted
I suppose that this being the Philippines the brands and prices may be a little out of date and/or out of stock, but it will give you an idea of what to expect.

Not just out of date or out of stock but the meds might have been banned in the rest of the world but they are still being sold here. I was prescribed an antibiotic that made my feet and thighs go numb so I looked it up to find that it has been banned since 2001.

• Like 1

chris49
Posted
Posted (edited)

When you get to the Philippines you can save a LOT of money by getting your meds from "Generics Pharmacy".  They have offices all over the Philippines.  You can check them on Google to see if they carry the meds you require.  I suppose that this being the Philippines the brands and prices may be a little out of date and/or out of stock, but it will give you an idea of what to expect.

Yes. I did advise Ron (Mogo) to keep his old prescriptions so they could match up the right generic drug.

An actual prescription means nothing here..just the names of the meds on paper and they fill it. The big difference I see Thai vs Philippines is that as in Ron's case the Dr. is attached to the clinic and there's a set fee. Here in the Philippines the Dr. takes his money hand to hand. Most of them won't overcharge the locals, but will scale the price up for a foreigner....as much as 800 pesos, nearly $20 for a simple 5 minute appointment. A few clever Dr's keep some generic meds in the drawer, so you get the meds and maybe it looks like a good deal, but the meds are cheap and he will typically double the price.

Disclaimer....300-800 pesos....depends. But they definitely scale it up.

Edited by chris49
  • Like 2

robert k
Posted
Posted

I haven't gone to a Philippines pharmacy for pain meds but they have sold me any kind of antibiotic I have asked for without a prescription. I google my symptoms. Don't laugh, a lot of doctors do the same thing.

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted

I suppose that this being the Philippines the brands and prices may be a little out of date and/or out of stock, but it will give you an idea of what to expect.

Not just out of date or out of stock but the meds might have been banned in the rest of the world but they are still being sold here. 

Opposite for me. Best thing I have found for sinus problems is Aleve-D Sinus and Cold. Problem is the active ingredient is Pseudoephedrine HCl 120 mg. After bouncing around pharmacies I went to the internet. Pseudoephedrine was banned here over 10 years ago. :th_unfair:  I guess that is why there is no Meth problem here.  :89: