Sailing In The Philippines

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

Well I have sailed in the Philippines. And taken part in the Subic Bat Regatta back in 2011.  

• Like 2

Jake
Posted
Posted (edited)

Hey guys,

I believe there are sales rep in Manila that would sell Hobie Cats 16 footer with jib and mainsail.  Even though you might pay a premium to get a new one with trailer (probably at least 7-8K bucks), I would go with that, provided i have a covered space to store the Hobie on my property.  Having it stored at a nearby resort may introduce security and space rental issues.  I think anything bigger like a sloop rig hull may be too much to haul around and to launch backing it down a private ramp.  I did not see any public ramps.

The Hobie 16 can be lifted off or rolled from its' trailer by 4 people easily from a nearby parking lot or roadside.  Takes about 15 minutes to raise the mast, rig the forestay wire, mainsail and jib.  

The last step and this is critical -- while you're waiting for the winds to pick up, preferably white cap conditions, consume 2 San Magoos to get you Mojo goin'.  Because flying that one hull out of the water is a white knuckle experience, especially when your body is fully extended for counterbalance by using the trapeze wire.  Speed?  Hell yeah and it's very addictive to gain more speed and more beers.....he, he.  

Here's a website of Taal Lake Yacht club: http://www.tlyc.com/.  Winds are kinda of fluky but gets really hairy during typhoon build up. Yeah, Hobie Cat sailing is half swimming, half sailing.

Happy Flying!  Respectfully -- Jake, speed addict.   

Edited by Jake
  • Like 2

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted

For those who have an interest in big sailing....I just viewed Mike's (of Youtube Vlog "My Philippine Journey") footage of the 2016 Paraw Regatta at Villa Beach in Iloilo. I must admit to being sidetracked a bit by his accompanying vids of the 2016 Miss Iloilo Paraw Regatta competition strutting their stuff.   :541:

• Like 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

Yeah, I was just going to mention the Paraw Regatta we have here in Iloilo.  Not the usual US looking sailboats, but pretty cool looking. It is an annual event and just had it this month.

We have a sailing club here in Oton (Iloilo).  I have not checked it out yet.

I go to Paraw Regatta just to check out the fabulous sails.

post-2045-0-51631600-1456309356_thumb.jp

• Like 2