5,000-Pound Unexploded Wwii Bomb

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

In my way of thinking the bomb should have been detonated on site rather than move it.   :89:

Construction workers at Barangay Pagaspas in Tanauan City were alarmed upon discovering an unexploded 5,000-pound World War II bomb.

Workers at the First Philippine Industrial Park construction site, an economic zone in Batangas, immediately reported it to the police. According to authorities, the bomb was a 5,000-pound general purpose (GP) bomb.
Bomb squad leader SPO1 Jay Pachica was surprised to see the bomb, saying that it was so far the biggest vintage bomb found in the province. Pachica said he called for assistance from the local government in order to take away the bomb from the site.

Tanauan Mayor Antonio Halili asked a local electric cooperative for a boom truck to bring the bomb to the Batangas Police Provincial Office, which will dispose of it.

The GP bomb was a common weapon of fighter-bomber and attack aircraft during World War II.

post-1-0-37984300-1455969211_thumb.png

http://cnnphilippines.com/regional/2016/02/20/world-war-2-unexploded-bomb-batangas.html

• Like 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

They found one, the same size, here in Iloilo during construction near the old airport.  I feel sorry for the backhoe operator that found it... you know he crapped his pants ha ha.... They transported it to the other side of the island to detonate it.  Guess they thought it was stable enough to move - I would certainly be worried :tiphat:

• Like 3

robert k
Posted
Posted

Build a berm around it and detonate it. Probably no real reason to explode it at all, just drop it in the ocean. Unless you just like to see things go BANG. :lol:

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted (edited)

The bomb in the picture is not a 5,000lb bomb, but it is large maybe 1,000Lb? Very few WWII aircraft could deliver a two and a half ton bomb.

post-285-0-19899300-1455992196.jpg

Edited by Old55
  • Like 5

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
should have been detonated on site

Come on JGF, if they blew it on site then they would have to pick up the pieces, this way they could take it to the junk shop in one trip :hystery:

• Like 3

mogo51
Posted
Posted

This is explosive news.

• Like 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
Probably no real reason to explode it at all, just drop it in the ocean. Unless you just like to see things go BANG

Now there's an idea.  It may save a fisherman the cost of some dynamite.  :hystery:

• Like 4

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Normally you can explode these things with a good sized hammer.  We used to do it all the time with unexploded fireworks.  We could hire someone from ISIS and give them a large hammer.

• Like 3

robert k
Posted
Posted

Probably no real reason to explode it at all, just drop it in the ocean. Unless you just like to see things go BANG

Now there's an idea.  It may save a fisherman the cost of some dynamite.  :hystery:

Dave, at this late date I doubt the detonating mechanism is going to function. In the desert maybe but not the Philippines. If you want it to go boom you are going to need some plastic explosive and make a small shape charge to pierce the casing and detonate the TNT. Bombs are made to be safe to handle and I believe that the detonating mechanism is almost certainly frozen on that one after 70 odd years. I mean you could dig a hole under it and place a couple sticks of dynamite under it and detonate it and you might well just toss the bomb a few meters. I also wouldn't roll it off the deck of a ship over shallow water where it could still be a hazard.

Not everything is that friendly though. I had a guy walk up to me with an electrically fired antiaircraft round, armor piercing, explosive incendiary round by the markings. These rounds are so sensitive that the people who handle them wear a ground strap because static electricity can cause them to explode. He wanted to borrow a hammer to get the big bullet out. I gave him a hammer and instructions to do it at least 100 meters from my truck. He brought the hammer back. Some people lead a charmed life.

• Like 3

Mike S
Posted
Posted

We were living in Cebu when these guys brought several WW II mortar rounds to a junk shop .... the guy used an tourch to try and cut them in two .... some people living there might remember this incident it was all over the news .... he blew up his shop and several buildings around him ... sometimes I am simply amazed at the train of thought some people go through .... unbelievable .... :unsure:

:cheersty:

• Like 1