Sipilay

RBM
Posted
Posted

Have been meaning to do a report of a recently completed 10 day motor cycle trip south and central Negros. Became some what to long winded so shall split it up into sections.

Arriving Sipilay one has basically two choices, the beaches of Punto Ballio little South of Sipilay or Sugar beach which is more north. The advantage of Punto Ballio is one can ride drive and its close to sipilay. Most of the resorts here cater for divers and tend to be more upmarket (prices anyway) than Sugar beach. Having dived here previously and not being impressed we choose Sugar beach.

One can arrive there with small pump boat that seem to be always dropping of guests in Sipalay  P150 a head seems standard. Alternatively as we did is to drive north on the Kabankalan road turn left at  City hall and drive as far as possible. The small sari 2 shops will care your car...bike for a few pesos. many kids waiting there to paddle you across the inlet P10 per head seems to be the rate. Short walk along the beach to the 14 resorts.

Interesting 13 resorts Swiss owned and one German. Not sure if I am allowed here to name names how ever as a general feel the early resorts seem to be the most expensive, and I mean expensive. The further one walks the prices seem to drop. many of them are on small parcels of land with rooms all over. Some tidy some quite the opposite. As I wrote earlier average Internet charge is P100---200 per hour, some also charge guests same rate so one must look around. the beach is only around 700 meters long so no problem.

We choose one pretty much central at P950 a night, tiny fridge, small cosy, hot shower and internet, if one was up at 5am....One of the pleasures here is to try different foods, as resorts are all together one can dine at different establishments daily. Prices in general are expensive and quality over all was average. Few owners do hang out front and are keen to chat, otherwise your pretty much left alone, also no vendors....

What to do....If not diving not much, beach is OK and heaps of shade so reading is popular, one can use deck chairs how ever only pertaining to ones resort. Chat with many of the owners whom the majority seems to start drink early am....Not a lot to do here. Swimming is Ok how ever during our time lots of small jelly fish which was annoying. Did hear some of the resorts in Punta Ballio are offering Archery for about P800 a session.

Personally we found a couple of days was enough, in fact were looking forward to riding on and visiting our favourite little coffee shop in Kabankalan 

Oh forgot, the sun sets are particularly nice.  

• Like 5

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Thank you sir great report ... :thumbsup: .... looking forward to your next installment .... we went to Binalbagan last Sunday and came back .... just wanted to check out the driving time and sights .... we didn't find the restro you mentioned in Hinigaran .... is it near Mila's restaurant.... they have the best potato cake in the world .... they are famous for it .... I'll do a report with pictures as soon as I copy some from my car- cam .... post more later ... getting dark here and my lap-top keyboard isn't back lit

:cheersty:

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the post. It brings back some memories. Sugar beach is quite a nice, quiet place. Years ago we stayed at a place that was named after dead trees in water. Swam, Ate. Chatted with the Alp origin host, and looked at the adjoining, silent neighbor resorts that share the beach. Walked to the creek crossing that you mentioned, ties into the highway as an alternate way of arriving other than the bangka from the city beach. We didn't do much but that was OK.

However, on a posterboard, they did offer a large variety of excurions and things to do if you were game. If I ever make it back I shall be a bit more active and adventurous and take advantage of the side trips/tours/activities.

Most places like this are not high-volume tourist stops and thats what I like about them. More like a tropical version of a hobby-farm that provides the owner with a modicum of income and interesting people to provide them with company in their semi-isolation. Sure beats going to Boracay and Puerto Galera in my opinion, but its not everyone's cup of tea.

• Like 2

chris49
Posted
Posted

Nice report all positive. Waiting for more.

RBM
Posted
Posted
On March 3, 2016 at 6:15 PM, manofthecoldland said:

Most places like this are not high-volume tourist stops and thats what I like about them. More like a tropical version of a hobby-farm that provides the owner with a modicum of income and interesting people to provide them with company in their semi-isolation. Sure beats going to Boracay and Puerto Galera in my opinion, but its not everyone's cup of tea.

Sadly it's fast becoming high volume  and touristy. Perhaps just this time of the year.

although no vendors or Jet skis the beach was pretty much full on with tourists. Wondering how long before the latter arrives. Perhaps it's just peak season  and after April it quietness down considerable and prices drop.  Still nice spot to bring a good book and relax, Oh be sure bring the little portable wi fi.

• Like 1