Divorced in thailand but not through court

Ynot
Posted
Posted

Someone may be able to help here, I was married in Thailand some 14 years ago and I got divorced in Thailand 3 years ago.  The divorce was not via the court system but done at the local Admin Office where we had to hand in our marriage certificate and they issued a divorce certificate, it was all in thai - had translated to english to make sure it was not an iou for $1,000,000.  

My question is, will the Philippines recognise the divorce or do I need to go to court and register the divorce through the court system. 

After all I could take my girl to Thailand, marry there and register it and then enter the Philippines and have the marriage registered that way, but my girl would like all her family to attend, so getting married in the Philippines appears to be the only reasonable and cost effective option available.  

• Like 1

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Ynot said:

My question is, will the Philippines recognise the divorce or do I need to go to court and register the divorce through the court system. 

After all I could take my girl to Thailand, marry there and register it and then enter the Philippines and have the marriage registered that way, but my girl would like all her family to attend, so getting married in the Philippines appears to be the only reasonable and cost effective option available.  

No idea about an answer to your question but do have a plan 'B' for you. Get married in Thailand the simplest and cheapest way possible and register it in the Philippines. Then have the church wedding/vow renewal ceremony that everyone can get dressed up and attend. (I did something similar in England way back when so we could be stationed at the same base together. Six months later we flew to the States and the families attended our church wedding. Getting married twice didn't help though, turns out she was nuts. Yes there is general discharge paperwork to prove it.)

• Like 3

chris49
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, Ynot said:

Someone may be able to help here, I was married in Thailand some 14 years ago and I got divorced in Thailand 3 years ago.  The divorce was not via the court system but done at the local Admin Office where we had to hand in our marriage certificate and they issued a divorce certificate, it was all in thai - had translated to english to make sure it was not an iou for $1,000,000.  

Do you want facts or opinions?

You would not mention the Thai marriage. Get married in the Philippines using a CNI from the Aussie Embassy.

• Like 2

lets_take_a_look
Posted
Posted (edited)

I'm not familiar with Thai law, but for purposes of Philippine courts these are what you need if you are to rely on the Thai divorce here:

You must prove that the spouse is a foreign citizen. You must prove the foreign divorce as a fact and demonstrate its conformity to the foreign law allowing it.

That foreign law must also be proved before our courts. Like any other fact, such laws must be alleged and proved in court.

You must also show that the divorce decree allows you to remarry as specifically required in Article 26. Otherwise, there would be no evidence sufficient to declare that you are capacitated to enter into another marriage.

You will need to present evidence of the divorce decree and laws through the presentation of either (1) official publications or (2) copies attested by the officer having legal custody of the documents. If the copies of official records are not kept in the Philippines, these must be (a) accompanied by a certificate issued by the proper diplomatic or consular officer in the Philippine foreign service stationed in the foreign country in which the record is kept and (b) authenticated by the seal of his office.

Further discussion here: 

That said, this is an involved legal procedure and some of the options mentioned in this thread may suit you better so long as you take care not to break the law.

Edited by Jollygoodfellow
removed link
  • Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
16 minutes ago, lets_take_a_look said:

Further discussion here: 

Mate

Why do you think all your post have to be approved? I have been waiting for this day for when you put a link to your website. You do know that I check who joins here and what their Email address is and when it's webmail like dot org or dot com the flag goes up. So do not do this as you are breaking my rules. We could perhaps interest you in an advertising package. :thumbsup:

• Like 4

mogo51
Posted
Posted

that sounds fair JGF, do you have a SIN BIN?

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
52 minutes ago, mogo51 said:

that sounds fair JGF, do you have a SIN BIN?

If he did Ron you and I would spend a few hours in it :hystery:

• Like 1