Disposable or prepaid Cell Phones

markpa
Posted
Posted

:89: Just wondering are there disposable and prepaid cell phones available. Thanks.Mark

earthdome
Posted
Posted
16 minutes ago, markpa said:

:89: Just wondering are there disposable and prepaid cell phones available. Thanks.Mark

That is what most people use in the Philippines. They buy a SIMM for their phone, cost maybe 50-100 pesos. Then buy load as needed. People sell load everywhere. Load is loading the phone with pesos which you can then use for phone calls, texts, data, etc. 

robert k
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, markpa said:

One can buy a basic phone that calls and texts for around $20, may even have a small flashlight on it. I had one and it was a great little phone for what it was. For anything better than that I would bring something that works from the US because smartphones are generally expensive in the Philippines. I did buy someone a CKK smartphone for about 1,600 peso and it worked well and made them happy. Most people tell me it's not a good brand so someone else may not be as lucky. Firefly is another cheap phone brand.

I have found out that one can buy an AT&T Gophone and if it has never been activated that AT&T will unlock it, all done online. If one needs a decent fairly disposable phone it isn't a bad way to go. The same phone may sell for 4 times as much in the Philippines.

Philippines frequencies for Globe and Smart. (pulled from the web)

Globe 2G-900-1800  3G-900-2100  LTE-1800 -2600

Smart 2G-900-1800  3G-850-2100  LTE-850-1800-2100

There are frequency finder sites you can find on the web that will check a phone frequencies against those used in a country but they don't have all models and their variants and you need to make sure it matches your selected phone exactly.

Gsmarena also gives specs for phones but once again, you need to know what variant.