Politics UK

Kuya John
Posted
Posted

As the UK  nears the vote to Remain or Leave the EU, strong feelings are being raised.

However I cannot remember any Member of Parliament being killed for what they believe in, well not in my lifetime.

So it is with sad heart, I report the death of a young Politician and Mother of two has been murdered

Rest in Peace Jo Cox MP

• Like 2

robert k
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Kuya John said:

As the UK  nears the vote to Remain or Leave the EU, strong feelings are being raised.

However I cannot remember any Member of Parliament being killed for what they believe in, well not in my lifetime.

So it is with sad heart, I report the death of a young Politician and Mother of two has been murdered

Rest in Peace Jo Cox MP

I don't know what to believe. I have read a news report on MSN with no mention of the Britain first shout and seen a video where they say it didn't happen, that Ms. Cox was not a target but that she tried to intervene in a fight between two men. I have heard that papers are quietly retracting the Britain first quote and online I'm seeing more people come forward claiming they were there and heard it. Knowing how far people will stoop to gain an advantage, I'm not sure who to believe. All I do know is her family have my condolences and best wishes.

• Like 3

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, robert k said:

I don't know what to believe. I have read a news report on MSN with no mention of the Britain first shout and seen a video where they say it didn't happen, that Ms. Cox was not a target but that she tried to intervene in a fight between two men. I have heard that papers are quietly retracting the Britain first quote and online I'm seeing more people come forward claiming they were there and heard it. Knowing how far people will stoop to gain an advantage, I'm not sure who to believe. All I do know is her family have my condolences and best wishes.

That means the media at first were trying to get sympathy for the stay vote that I find as disgusting as the MP being killed

• Like 2

virginprune
Posted
Posted

According to the Guardian newspaper, the alleged perpetrator used the name Britain First when asked his name during his appearance in Westminster Magistrates. It was also reported that the police recovered extreme right wing and white supremacist literature from his home.

It seems that her stance on the referendum was not the issue, rather her outspoken views on immigration.

Whatever the reason, it is a terrible and shocking crime and my sympathies are with her family and friends. RIP

• Like 3

Gator
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, Kuya John said:

Rest in Peace Jo Cox MP

Strong feelings might be an understatement. Real tragedy what occurred to Mrs. Cox; may she RIP.

Me thinks the last British lawmaker who was killed was Ian Gow (spelling?) in1990; car bomb by the IRA - if I recall it was in front of his home. I was supposed to meet with him the following week to discuss implementation of updated electronic counter surveillance/terrorism SOP's at British embassies and consulates for visiting dignitaries.  

• Like 1

mogo51
Posted
Posted

I saw an 'eye witness' interviewed saying he heard the offender shouting 'Britian first", so that allays all views it was politically motivated.

In any case it is a sad day for Britian.

Benington
Posted
Posted

Oh, I think he is definitely politically motivated, with a small p. He may have tried to claim allegiance to a far right group named "Britain First". The leader has denied any link. Looks like he was very worked up about immigration - a big, maybe even the main topic in the EU Referendum debate. Jo Cox seemed to be in favour of unrestricted EU immigration and wanted to bring in more Syrian refugees.The leader of the Labour Party, of which she is a member, stated only yesterday he sees no need to control it from the British end - his solution was to improve job prospects in the source EU countries - a very long term, uncertain policy!

A less radical anti immigration party is now taking votes from Labour, and  some Labour MPs are now speaking in favour of  limits, but it's all too late. These far right groups have been feeding on the Labour Party's indifference to genuine concerns about immigration for years in traditional Labour areas.

Mental issues plus extreme views are a dangerous mix, as in Orlando. It's good that in Britain assault weapons are difficult to come by, thank God, because otherwise it could have been much worse.

• Like 3

robert k
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Benington said:

Oh, I think he is definitely politically motivated, with a small p. He may have tried to claim allegiance to a far right group named "Britain First". The leader has denied any link. Looks like he was very worked up about immigration - a big, maybe even the main topic in the EU Referendum debate. Jo Cox seemed to be in favour of unrestricted EU immigration and wanted to bring in more Syrian refugees.The leader of the Labour Party, of which she is a member, stated only yesterday he sees no need to control it from the British end - his solution was to improve job prospects in the source EU countries - a very long term, uncertain policy!

A less radical anti immigration party is now taking votes from Labour, and  some Labour MPs are now speaking in favour of  limits, but it's all too late. These far right groups have been feeding on the Labour Party's indifference to genuine concerns about immigration for years in traditional Labour areas.

Mental issues plus extreme views are a dangerous mix, as in Orlando. It's good that in Britain assault weapons are difficult to come by, thank God, because otherwise it could have been much worse.

The thing is, if there is a will there is a way. You can't ban fertilizer and petrol, pool chlorine, brake fluid and a host of other things that could be made to be dangerous and could be far more damaging than any mere shooter. If the shooter in Orlando had used a car bomb it would probably be 400 dead instead of 49.

Kuya John
Posted
Posted
On 19/06/2016 at 1:18 AM, Gator said:

Strong feelings might be an understatement. Real tragedy what occurred to Mrs. Cox; may she RIP.

Me thinks the last British lawmaker who was killed was Ian Gow (spelling?) in1990; car bomb by the IRA - if I recall it was in front of his home.

Quite right Gator,

The IRA were responsible for a number of killings on mainland UK,

(The bombing of the hotel at Brighton during Conservative Conference, comes to mind)

This present incidence being a one on one murder, is what I should of said in my earlier posting. Jo Cox RIP.

We saw a great divide at the Time of the Scottish Independence vote here in UK, with strong views from all parties.

Once again, this vote, which is being held on Thursday, has seen an even stronger debate occur.

There is a much bigger picture coming into focus on the future of not just UK, but the EC too.

Whether Britain decides to "Leave or Remain" there is in my opinion, turmoil brewing in Europe, in a word "Instability"

• Like 4

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic