Thoughts on this area to live

JasonE
Posted
Posted

I have been looking at some different areas around Cebu, recently I have been in contact with a guy has a place to rent (studio) in the area of Calderon Compound, Banawa/Guadalupe, Cebu City.

From what I could find it seems like a decent area, close to the mall and markets. 

I wanted to see if anyone has any information on the area. I want to make sure I will be living in fairly safe area.

Thanks,

Jason

• Like 2

JasonE
Posted
Posted

Sound advice, thanks.. I didn't plan on committing to anything till I was there. They do 6 and 12 month leases so if decided to move in there I could be out in 6 months if needed. Plus it can't be noiser then staying at my sisters house with her 4 kids...lol

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
Just now, JasonE said:

Plus it can't be noiser then staying at my sisters house with her 4 kids...lol

You think so?  Mwah ha ha!  If you get a little bit unlucky you will know how noisy it can get, but with luck it will be all good.

• Like 5

JasonE
Posted
Posted

I'm voting for a little luck, I should email the guy and ask how the noise is.

I can tolerate a little noise as long as its not over done and not past 2am... Lol maybe asking lot..haha

• Like 4

JasonE
Posted
Posted

Thanks for you're comment, I appreciate the advice. I won't be signing or agreeing to anything till in country and can view for myself.

I guess its going to come down to a judgement call once I arrive and check things out. 

I'm just want to get as much info I can before I get so I don't have to check out to many places.

I am continusly doing research online to make sure I have all my ducks in a row. 

I appreciate you not sugar coating.

Thanks again!

• Like 1

DavidK
Posted
Posted

Well I lived in Guadalupe until earlier this year and still have a condo there. Generally I'd say it's a pretty safe area but that also depends on where you are there, what you're doing and what time of day it is. Noise levels can vary as is the way in the Philippines. Scott sums it up accurately.

• Like 1

mogo51
Posted
Posted

Good luck Jason with your new journey.  I am sure you will be prudent enough to find the appropriate domicile.

But at least you are now forewarned and can be aware of such pitfalls.

Unless you are stuck on Cebu, there are many other wonderful places in Philippines to consider.  Are you retiring?

• Like 2

frosty (chris)
Posted
Posted

The thing with the P.I. is everything can change so very very quickly. We were renting a town house in a great ( I thought) secure sub division and for the first 6 months it was great. Then the squatters moved in behind us and the music started at mid night till around 5 a.m. The gut next door to us was an expat, older, quiet, never really saw him. He had a difference of opinion with the owner and moved out, it was taken over by locals that never seemed to work but partied most nights, I would get an invite to these parties and sometimes go, but not often. Usually in the early hours of the morning these pi$$ ups would be moved into the street outside their house with all the usual loud noises that accompany local get togethers. In the end we just had to move, we just weren't getting any sleep. My advice would be if and when you check your place out, don't just go in the early afternoon and look, this is the time of siesta here when even the animals actually shut up for awhile. Good luck with whatever you do.

• Like 5