What to Buy When We Arrive

intrepid
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, davewe said:

Yes we both have our iphones and will probably bring a magic jack or get the app to use on our existing phones.

Dave, That is what we have.  Love the MJ and have it loaded on the phone.  We we have found works for us is using a Globe postpaid plan for internet and landline paying p1599 this includes a wireless router.  For the iphones we have another Globe postpaid plan.  We tried the postpaid "My Starter Plan 300" and gave 300 call min and 300 text cost p300.  But so much going on here we changed to the MSP500 "My starter Plan 500" gives unlimited calls to globe users and unlimited texts costs p500.  Each plan also comes with 200MB data and a few other things we don't use.  Data can run out fast and cost more than we need.  Make sure you use the feature on your phone to turn off "Cellular Data" and only turn on when needed.  Remember when in this mode your phone will still work around the house with all your apps as long as you are connected to your wireless router.  This way we don't even plug in the MJ because our iphones connect whenever a call comes in.  Works great for us.  If there is a reason you would need it while out, just switch on Cellular data and your back in business.  Here is I tip, when going to settings, choose Cellular, THEN before switching off cellular data, go down the list of "USE CELLULAR DATA FOR": now switch all apps off except the few you plan to use when you do switch the main Cellular Data on.  Otherwise, when you switch Cellular Data on, many apps will start connecting and downloading data you could get at home free through wireless router.  If you don't do this you will learn very soon how fast the data is used up.  By the way, with these plans you can still buy and add extra loads for extra data if needed or purchase a larger postpaid plan.

Also you will need a Philippine government ID to open a postpaid plan at Globe. But as always YMMV.

• Like 4

earthdome
Posted
Posted
On 7/12/2016 at 8:02 PM, Tukaram (Tim) said:

A power bank for your phone.  You have to be brownout ready

You can now buy solar charges for charging mobile devices and laptops. I was looking at some on amazon. Might be something to buy in the states and bring with you.

If you will bring or purchase any 110 volt appliances/electronics bring a quality voltage regulator/transformer. Might also get a UPS (Uninterruptible power supply) with power conditioning for plugging your electronics into. The UPS gets you power during a brown out (black out in US terms) and the power conditioning protects your equipment from power fluctuations. A quality surge protector and remember that you may have to provide electrical grounds for these since most home and apartment electrical systems are not grounded.

• Like 1

earthdome
Posted
Posted
20 hours ago, davewe said:

Yes we both have our iphones and will probably bring a magic jack or get the app to use on our existing phones.

That is what I did. I never used the magic jack phone jack. The app worked perfectly. And now you can send/receive text messages also.

• Like 1

Sander Martin
Posted
Posted
On 13 July 2016 at 9:41 PM, robert k said:

If I planned on using tools a lot away from power, I wouldn't buy cordless, I would buy a 1.5 kw suitcase generator corded tools and an extension cord. If you are near power, you don't need a generator.:thumbsup:

Depends on how much you use the tools. I wouldn't buy cordless tools for a workshop either, but for an avarage person they are more than enough and really handy without the cord. I got a cordless drill and an angle grinder and they are perfect for small quick jobs around the house. If building or renovating, then id use tools with a cord.

Cordless angle grinder with a spare battery was my best friend working in a remote Australian outback farm :D.

• Like 2

i am bob
Posted
Posted

i'm not going to talk about tools as enough people have talked about them already...  and just about anything else you can get here just as cheap or without shipping damage (dishes?)  but seriously?  I would bring a video camera, a good waterproof camera (gopro maybe), pocket size binoculars, a couple laptops and/or tablets and a spare iphone or 2...  the rest you can get here...  phones don't survive here with all the drops they go through...  the computers will give you access to movies and sports...  same with the tablets but they also make a handy ebook reader if you are into books...  you can buy these through amazon and have them shipped to you here but this way you can avoid paying another tax...  the binocs are for when you hit the beach and want a better look at the ladies...  i mean boats on the water...  

one other thing...  if you are a big man and think you might have trouble getting clothes?  it's still cheaper to go to a tailor and have your clothes custom made than shipping over a ton of them...  and the weight of the material will be better for the heat here too!  though there is the possibility of freaking out the tailor if you are built like me...  in general filipino sizing for a shirt, i'm a 4x in the shoulders (48 inch) but a regular below (34 inch waist)...  i even made one cry when they tried to figure out how to cut out the body of the shirts...  lol

• Like 4

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, i am bob said:

you might have trouble getting clothes?

OH Lord Yes!  Underwear and socks!  I'm not a huge man by fat old expat standards but I have to get the largest size underwear and socks I an find in Philippines and even then they don't fit after a couple of washings.  I have a 36 inch waist for most of the shorts and pants I buy but for underwear I need a Philippine XL and there are guys here fatter than me and with bigger feet so where do they buy their socks and underwear?  I bet the answer is sandals without socks and go commando?

Edit:  Any time I have worn sandals without socks I get bitten by red ants.  The bites dissolve my flesh and take about 2 weeks to heal so sock-less is not an option.

Edited by Dave Hounddriver
  • Like 3

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted

The OP question is What to Buy When We Arrive? somehow the thread got turned around into another What to bring?

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, AlwaysRt said:

The OP question is What to Buy When We Arrive?

Oops, you're right.  But that's an easy one.  A sari sari store for the new gf's parents plus shoes, clothes, bags and a cell phone for the new gf.

• Like 5

davewe
Posted
Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, AlwaysRt said:

The OP question is What to Buy When We Arrive? somehow the thread got turned around into another What to bring?

I don't mind too much because buy at home vs. buy in the Philippines always relate. For example, I intend to bring plenty of clothes but Bob's idea of just getting a tailor when here is a good one as well.

Edited by davewe
  • Like 2

i am bob
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, davewe said:

I don't mind too much because buy at home vs. buy in the Philippines always relate. For example, I intend to bring plenty of clothes but Bob's idea of just getting a tailor when here is a good one as well.

ah!  thank mike smith...  he's the one who got me turned onto the idea...!

• Like 1