Could You Live On Just $32,000 Per Year?

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, scott h said:

As has been mentioned, it all depends on what you expect from your retirement years.

Well for me , When in Rome comes to mind. Sorry but....................:mellow: WTF do some people actually want.

• Like 2

Sander Martin
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

Well for me , When in Rome comes to mind. Sorry but....................:mellow: WTF do some people actually want.

People are different Jack. In most cases it depends what we can afford...

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Sander Martin said:

People are different Jack. In most cases it depends what we can afford...

Exactly. we should as I  often say, Live to the budget 32.000$ is way above the earning of locals. Move on and find a cheaper country If you can I would like to hear about it

Edited by Jack Peterson
Cos I know you all missed my Edits
  • Like 2

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Jack Peterson said:

Move on and find a cheaper country If you can I would like to hear about it

I was living in Panajachel Guatemala last year spending US$600 per month all in, eating all meals out. At 5,000 feet above sea level it is always warm enough to not need heat and cool enough not to need aircon (my aircon was open the window and heater was close the window). Also nice scenery (landscape only for the most part) as Pana is on Lake Atitlan surrounded by 3 volcanoes.

Cheaper doesn't mean better though.

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, AlwaysRt said:

Cheaper doesn't mean better though.

Granted but that is not the issue with regards to the PI :popcorn:

Happyhorn52
Posted
Posted

The average social security benefit for 2016 is only $1,341 per month so a large portion of US retirees are living on far less than $3,200 per year. Many US citizens are also discovering that there are places in the world where your small SS check can go a lot further than in the US and that's why you are seeing an exodus from the continental united states. 

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
36 minutes ago, robert k said:

Some people just can't adapt.

Triple like, Robert.  I think you said all that quite well.

• Like 4

davewe
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, chris49 said:

One stumbling block, yeah sure most of us live on less than that, would be an annual trip home to USA. Which most of us don't have, but the better of people esp the husband and wife retirees, do tend to do. Visit kids and grandkids mostly.

$2666 a month is well over 100k in pesos and there's something wrong if you can't live on that.

Like most of the conversations about "how much does it take to live" it depends on how you define your expenses. If we are talking about monthly expenses (rent, food, utilities, etc.) then that's a pretty large amount. But if you factor in non-monthly expenses (travel, medical insurance, etc.) - well then it's still a pretty nice amount but not quite as hefty.

• Like 3