Facebook Information Farming

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

There are so many stupid quizzes and silly widgets on Facebook that are amusing and addictive but seem to have absolutely no use than to get access to your information of Facebook.

Examples like:  Let us guess your age, or This is who you were in history, or Do you know this geography quiz.   The result is an quick ego boost but what the each have in common is a requirement to allow the app to access all your info on Facebook.

What do they get out of that and can it come back to bite me in the as s?

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

The result is an quick ego boost but what the each have in common is a requirement to allow the app to access all your info on Facebook.

:571c66d400c8c_1(103): Hmmmmmmmmmmm They only had to ask and I would have made them a Friend, I Hide little and never put sensitive stuff on it but Yes! I do take your Point but then, those little quizzes are cheaper than going out for a beer and less hassle when HTMBO gets home :hystery: ....................................................................:thumbsup:

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
24 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Now this is odd and Timely, I just got a message from FB (Privacy team) that informs me that I have used an App and would I like to see who gets any information, maybe they are reading things anyway :89:

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
13 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

They only had to ask and I would have made them a Friend,

Yes, I'm not sure how much information they get but I'm mildly concerned it can be used for some illegal or scammy means.  Perhaps I have an overly-suspicious mind but I thought there must be one of our members who knows what the app provider is getting out of this.  Considering that the result, in many of these apps, is purely random or silly; then they really should not need all the info they ask for.

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Usually your data is used for re selling to advertisers. Some of this is stated in Facebook's data policy but third party apps have been known to break Facebook's policies anyway until they get caught.

Apps, websites and third-party integrations on or using our Services. When you use third-party apps, websites or other services that use, or are integrated with, our Services, they may receive information about what you post or share. For example, when you play a game with your Facebook friends or use the Facebook Comment or Share button on a website, the game developer or website may get information about your activities in the game or receive a comment or link that you share from their website on Facebook. In addition, when you download or use such third-party services, they can access your Public Profile, which includes your username or user ID, your age range and country/language, your list of friends, as well as any information that you share with them. Information collected by these apps, websites or integrated services is subject to their own terms and policies.
Learn more about how you can control the information about you that you or others share with these apps and websites.

Above from Facebook data policy

https://www.facebook.com/full_data_use_policy

• Like 3

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted

I am way less concerned about the little information I give on FB than I am about the intrusive and constant looking over my shoulder to see what I am searching, what website I am on, etc. They collect something like 12 data points I don't know how many times a minute. All I know is after deleting the FB and Messenger apps from my phone the battery lasts 2 times longer.

Who hasn't been besieged by ads for a product you searched for once - for a friend? Where is the "I don't give a sh1T about this ad, leave me alone button"? Even more aggravating to me is I search on, say Amazon, for a product - and buy it - then still have ads from Amazon for the product! Hey Stupid Billion dollar company - I already bought it from you!!! Yeesh! 

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

Me personally? I could give a rats patootie. We protect our bank accounts etc. rigorously. Other than that they can mine all they want, I am really a very boring person :hystery:

• Like 4

Gator
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

There are so many stupid quizzes and silly widgets on Facebook that are amusing and addictive but seem to have absolutely no use than to get access to your information of Facebook.

Another reason why I don't use Wastebook